Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry to have to confront you with real facts but have just a little think about our society at the moment. There is a huge amount of work done by immigrant labour on very low wages that keep our 5th biggest world economy from sliding down the pan.

There is no viable alternative for many farmers and growers when it comes to bringing in the crops than overseas workers, of course when the EU CAP subsidies dry up and immigration is halted or the process made more difficult this will become even more of an issue. Have a little think about where you can pick up that late night bottle of wine and 20 fags, other than the Co-Op's, Tesco's etc there are a plethora of small shops opening later or even overnight owned or staffed by people who have come from abroad to fill the need. Add to that all the Pizza and takeaway deliveries and waiting staff and KP's and taxi drivers who do the crap hours.

. All the hidden people that do the crap jobs that no one here will take because the pay,conditions and hours are crap.That's before you get in to the skilled and semi-skilled staff from abroad such as nurses and doctors who fill the jobs that we can't seem to do.
Frankly our economy runs on exploiting cheap labour from abroad doing all the jobs that we won't do.

Quite. It's a fact that EU workers are prepared to work unsociable hours at short notice, as demanded by the likes of fruit farmers, whereas local workers cannot (not always WILL not) work like this. The situation must be managed properly or there will be a big shock to the system.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The euro seems to be stabilising. Steady increase on last week.

It hasn't even started yet. The Brexit button will not be hit until early next year, markets will panic, 2 year process to leave, markets will yo yo before slumping in the final months. Once the UK has left? My crystal ball ain't that good but everyone will be super wary so the economy will contract further, if in 5 years we are back where we were 3 weeks ago it won't have been too bad. IF.....

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It hasn't even started yet. The Brexit button will not be hit until early next year, markets will panic, 2 year process to leave, markets will yo yo before slumping in the final months. Once the UK has left? My crystal ball ain't that good but everyone will be super wary so the economy will contract further, if in 5 years we are back where we were 3 weeks ago it won't have been too bad. IF.....

Hate to burst your bubble but the main shock was Friday 24th. Markets don't like surprises and they've already suffered the big one.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry to have to confront you with real facts but have just a little think about our society at the moment. There is a huge amount of work done by immigrant labour on very low wages that keep our 5th biggest world economy from sliding down the pan.

There is no viable alternative for many farmers and growers when it comes to bringing in the crops than overseas workers, of course when the EU CAP subsidies dry up and immigration is halted or the process made more difficult this will become even more of an issue. Have a little think about where you can pick up that late night bottle of wine and 20 fags, other than the Co-Op's, Tesco's etc there are a plethora of small shops opening later or even overnight owned or staffed by people who have come from abroad to fill the need. Add to that all the Pizza and takeaway deliveries and waiting staff and KP's and taxi drivers who do the crap hours.

. All the hidden people that do the crap jobs that no one here will take because the pay,conditions and hours are crap.That's before you get in to the skilled and semi-skilled staff from abroad such as nurses and doctors who fill the jobs that we can't seem to do.
Frankly our economy runs on exploiting cheap labour from abroad doing all the jobs that we won't do.

What drivel, good luck to anyone doing a days work more power to them but I am afraid your own analysis is flawed, they are here not because they are selfless, morally superior or driven to save our own NHS, they are here to cash in on our own minimum wage and benefit structure, access permitted by EU policy.

What part of four times or eight times more pay compared to their own country do you not understand, accepting there is a benefit aspect but prior to mass immigration fruit was still being picked, hospitals were still staffed and fags still sold past midnight.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Oh c'mon, lets see if inflation takes off, probably not or if it does it is likely to be for some obscure reason you and I didnt even know existed and if it doesnt you will cite some reason to invalidate it anyway.

Take your foot off the pedal for a while, this really isn't some new world order, its a situation that will be dealt with and if dealt with positively and well will offer us an opportunity to flourish.

We have withdrawn from a club that itself admits needs reforming, its a busted flush, no big deal your angst is driven by your vote being in the minority, now stop acting like a spoilt child for Christ sake.

Do you really think it's acting like a spoilt child when I'm worried about my job, which is based on European law? About my mortgage when all the financial experts have predicted doom? etc. and we have "La Nouvelle Thatcher" in charge, and Boris as Foreign Minister. Of course I hope you are right but I'm very worried about the future for my family and to belittle it like that is a bit silly.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Do you really think it's acting like a spoilt child when I'm worried about my job, which is based on European law? About my mortgage when all the financial experts have predicted doom? etc. and we have "La Nouvelle Thatcher" in charge, and Boris as Foreign Minister. Of course I hope you are right but I'm very worried about the future for my family and to belittle it like that is a bit silly.

Yes, yes I do, why not work hard and get on with your life, I cannot comment on your personal circumstances but mortgage rates are due to be reduced today so lighten up, you were a Remainer big deal get over it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

I bet you didn't worry when the banks caused the one of the biggest crashes in history which we still haven't recovered from

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hate to burst your bubble but the main shock was Friday 24th. Markets don't like surprises and they've already suffered the big one.

What markets really don't like is uncertainty, and this is gonna run and run.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What drivel, good luck to anyone doing a days work more power to them but I am afraid your own analysis is flawed, they are here not because they are selfless, morally superior or driven to save our own NHS, they are here to cash in on our own minimum wage and benefit structure, access permitted by EU policy.

What part of four times or eight times more pay compared to their own country do you not understand, accepting there is a benefit aspect but prior to mass immigration fruit was still being picked, hospitals were still staffed and fags still sold past midnight.

Fruit used to be picked here by British workers and hospitals were staffed by British doctors and nurses too .. so where have they gone ? ( you could never buy fags over the counter after midnight unless you used a fag machine by the way. )

I'm sure that benefits exist for British workers on minimum wages too ? so why do the immigrant workers still keep getting these jobs ahead of British workers ? I agree that most foreign workers in the NHS are not here on moral grounds but why don't British people take these jobs ? why do our nurses and doctors flee abroad almost as soon as they qualify ? How did British workers in so many fields end up being replaced by immigrant workers ?..... It is because of the needs of business to make money and the government to save money.

The big problem the Brexiteers have is that they can offer no solutions just a Micawber like hope that " Something will turn Up ". I have no wish for this country to go down the pan any further than it has but I struggle to see how things can get better for many many people. As I have said in other threads and posts,I think the rich will adapt and carry on getting richer and those who feel abandoned and left behind will find that in 5-10 years time nothing has changed for the better and they will still be angry and marginalised.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, yes I do, why not work hard and get on with your life, I cannot comment on your personal circumstances but mortgage rates are due to be reduced today so lighten up, you were a Remainer big deal get over it.

The thoughts of someone who believes he will be immune to any downturn, let's hope you are right huh?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I bet you didn't worry when the banks caused the one of the biggest crashes in history which we still haven't recovered from

No, I took a year out from work to do a Masters degree. I didn't have a (good) job, a wife, a baby or a house then. The crash was primarily caused by the US anyway.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The thoughts of someone who believes he will be immune to any downturn, let's hope you are right huh?

You and I are always vulnerable to a downturn, each day I get out of bed, deal with banks, customers, suppliers, creditors and then the wife and kids, what life are you living .......

You called it wrong, I think there will be great opportunities, the whole EU project had flawed aspirations and the Euro is down the pan as are most European countries, we live with the uncertainties whether we are in or out ..........................

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Fruit used to be picked here by British workers and hospitals were staffed by British doctors and nurses too .. so where have they gone ? ( you could never buy fags over the counter after midnight unless you used a fag machine by the way. )

I'm sure that benefits exist for British workers on minimum wages too ? so why do the immigrant workers still keep getting these jobs ahead of British workers ? I agree that most foreign workers in the NHS are not here on moral grounds but why don't British people take these jobs ? why do our nurses and doctors flee abroad almost as soon as they qualify ? How did British workers in so many fields end up being replaced by immigrant workers ?..... It is because of the needs of business to make money and the government to save money.

The big problem the Brexiteers have is that they can offer no solutions just a Micawber like hope that " Something will turn Up ". I have no wish for this country to go down the pan any further than it has but I struggle to see how things can get better for many many people. As I have said in other threads and posts,I think the rich will adapt and carry on getting richer and those who feel abandoned and left behind will find that in 5-10 years time nothing has changed for the better and they will still be angry and marginalised.

Exactly what I thought as I typed, but expected to get away with it !!!!

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

I understand your worries [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION].
I'm no political or financial expert when it comes to what has happened recently. But what I have noticed in the last few years is that whoever is in power will try and talk-down the economy and say we're struggling, and then say a bit later. "Oh no everything's fine, we got the figures wrong!"
Best example of this, George Osbourne about 6 months ago and "No, we're doing fine" last week.
Yes, it is worrying because I think we'd just all like stability, where we know our wage is going to stay the same, or just for a change actually go up!, hour's aren't going to be cut, my job is safe and I haven't got to reapply for it every year, my bills are going to be pretty consistent and not rise stupidly, and everything to make our already stressful lives far less stressful!!
The markets thrive on chaos and not knowing, and IMHO whoever is in charge is the mouth-piece of the financial controllers, and they can make the markets do pretty much what they want to do, and when they want to do it. Someone makes money on the way up and someone does on the way down too! And it's not the average guy or gal in the U.K.!
I just wish all the "so-called" experts tried to talk everything up for a change, and you'd see a massive rise in confidence, and everything would be tickety-boo! But that ain't never gonna happen! Chaos is in currently in the house, and it ain't leaving any time soon!!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
My pension pot is up more than 3% in July so far. Comfortably outpacing price increases.

Yes - but (assuming this is a DC/money purchase pot) you will find that the new economic strategy has materially reduced what your pension will be worth in the future. If you want to buy an annuity, you'll find it now costs around £100k for every £2.5k of annual pension (ie, for an annual inflation-linked pension of £25k pa, you will need £1m). Plus - monetary easing of the like we are now seeing, coupled with the exchange rate declines, mean that inflation will be higher in the future, eating into the nominal value of your savings. Believe me, every saver is now materially worse off than hey were three weeks ago.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
There are currencies and then the euro.....
Read today that Deutche Bank has had to get from the German government a loan of 150billion euros just to stop it from going bankrupt.Another smaller bank was also bailed by the German government.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36723034
Manuel Barroso Spains Eu head has today taken over as an advisor for Goldman Sachs.Sell everything...................
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36787931
Jobs for the boys,it's all going pear shaped.

Thank goodness Brown listened to all the advice and kept the UK out of the Eurozone. I guess the gold fiasco n '99 taught him not to trust his own judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here