Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I would welcome Murray back - better than what we have. There is no guarantee that a £10m striker from S America would score goals this season, what with settling in to a new country etc. Rhodes or McCormack are simply out of our range, as both Fulham and Blackburn will inflate their price tags. At least with GM there is a track record that might get us over the line. I think it would be good business.

If promotion doesn't come off this season then we need to concentrate on getting a striker during the summer, when we can get someone for a more realistic fee.

But, is it just me that simply cannot stand that thunderbird puppet Howe? The day that smug git gets his comeuppance the better.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Didn't Hughton say Sidwell was nothing but BZ mate and not signing. Then 48hours later he is holding the shift.

Ignore most stuff managers say about transfer dealings. They're hardly going to let everyone else know their intentions.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Without going into it too much, I can assure you Poyet wanted to keep him.

We were completely gazumped by Palace. Murray and his agent held out for the better deal and fairly so.

Murray was on about £4k we offered him about £7.5k Palarse offered him £12k, but he said he would stay for £9k. Bloom asked Poyet if he was worth paying £9k and Poyet said no, let him go. I have reason to believe that this was the scenario.

Poyet didn't want him.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
If you reckon a player who managed over 30 goals in one season in the Championship is bang average what would you call 90% of the strikers that the Albion have signed since we arrived at the Amex???

How many years ago was that now? How many of those were penalties after ridiculous Zaha dives?
Murray's attitude was always suspect and, yes, I think his record throughout most of his career would suggest he's bang average. Unlike, say, Jordan Rhodes.

Calleri to a palace reject that we can't even sign until the end of February (!!!), in three weeks. Lolz.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that ultimately to get promoted we need to spend the money on a quality finisher. The thought of Boro with McCormack and Hull with Jordan Rhodes is the nightmare scenario.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Murray was on about £4k we offered him about £7.5k Palarse offered him £12k, but he said he would stay for £9k. Bloom asked Poyet if he was worth paying £9k and Poyet said no, let him go. I have reason to believe that this was the scenario.

Poyet didn't want him.
that cost us £100 million plus good decision Gus

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Poyet didn't want him.

You still don't know how much Ken Brown had to do with that decision. I believe it was more to do with the wage structure at the club.

Murray's goals got Palace into the playoffs. He played about 70 minutes in the playoffs, so didn't get them promoted. Playoffs are a lottery. Who would have thought that Watford would be so dire in the final?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
that cost us £100 million plus good decision Gus

Maybe not £100 but we were ineffective upfront until we got Ulloa. I have always looked at it like Shampton getting rid of Rickie Lambert. We certainly lost our continuity when we went up which is the last thing a promoted side needs. It was not a logical footballing decision.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
How many years ago was that now? How many of those were penalties after ridiculous Zaha dives?
Murray's attitude was always suspect and, yes, I think his record throughout most of his career would suggest he's bang average. Unlike, say, Jordan Rhodes.

Calleri to a palace reject that we can't even sign until the end of February (!!!), in three weeks. Lolz.

He scored 9 pens and 22 goals from open play in THAT season for Palace. It was quite a while back so perhaps you should consider his 8 goals in 18 games for Reading last season as a guide to what he can do now. He isn't "bang average" at Championship level and that is where we are so he would seem a decent option to me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You still don't know how much Ken Brown had to do with that decision. I believe it was more to do with the wage structure at the club.

Murray's goals got Palace into the playoffs. He played about 70 minutes in the playoffs, so didn't get them promoted. Playoffs are a lottery. Who would have thought that Watford would be so dire in the final?

I didn't say that he would have got us promoted.

I got this information on the off chance when I watched a Brighton game, during our first Champ season, at the Blue Lagoon and was chatting to someone I met down there. He brought up Murray and said his sister was a good friend and neighbour of Glenn's. The chap I met was quietly spoken, we watched the game together and chatted through it. He wasn’t going around the pub pissed and giving it the large one. I didn’t detect any bullshit and the story was plausible.

His words were; Bloom asked Poyet if he was worth and should pay the £9k and Poyet said no let him go.

I am not ITK, I wasn’t digging for info and I just heard this by chance. Give or take a £500 in my comment that was the financial breakdown of the scenario I was told.

Of course the only people who could validate this and be believed 100%, is Bloom, Poyet and Murray but we will never have this luxury.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Murray would be mint. Anyone thinking this would be a bad move is deluded. He is exactly what we need. I genuinely think if we get him we would go up automatically

Anyone thinking we'd be able to sign and play him are deluded too due the the FIFA Two rule.

"Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs."

"As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There is no guarantee that a £10m striker from S America would score goals this season, what with settling in to a new country etc.

Talking of £10m S. American strikers playing in the Championship - Abel Hernandez is doing alright.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He scored 9 pens and 22 goals from open play in THAT season for Palace. It was quite a while back so perhaps you should consider his 8 goals in 18 games for Reading last season as a guide to what he can do now. He isn't "bang average" at Championship level and that is where we are so he would seem a decent option to me.

Persuasive. But his goalscoring record over his career is "bang average". Two of those goals last season were against us. 6 in 17 doesn't sound quite so good, does it?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Anyone thinking we'd be able to sign and play him are deluded too due the the FIFA Two rule.

"Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs."

"As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected."

The FA and FL don't count an emergency loan as a permanent move so players can play for a third club, the two club rule only applies to a players permanent registration (half and full season loans are considered permanent registrations). FIFA hate the FA and FL using this to get around the 2 club rule hence the emergency loan window ceasing to exist at the end of this season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ky-Shorey-FIFA-probe-playing-club-season.html

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Except, with a 93 day loan, Bournemouth retain the registration, and he can play for the club he is loaned to.

As happened with Dobbie, 2013.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Always found Howe annoying - seems that he will block the Murray loan, just makes him more annoying.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

This has been covered time and again and is why we can only sign him on a 93 day loan

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Persuasive. But his goalscoring record over his career is "bang average". Two of those goals last season were against us. 6 in 17 doesn't sound quite so good, does it?

I hear you but a striker scoring twice in one game wouldn't hurt for us once in a while! My thoughts on it are pretty simplistic really but I believe we have the potential for proper service in Knockaert (in particular) and a striker that can operate in the box both in the air and on the deck is precisely what we need to complement what we already have. We can't expect BZ to play every game and Tomer Hemed, who is that type of player, doesn't seem to be prolific enough for us not to add another. Wilson, assuming he stays, and one of BZ and GM with the other coming off the bench would be fine with me. It didn't have to be Glenn Murray, if we could get Peter Crouch or Steven Fletcher that would be great but I'd be happy with Murray.

Is 159 goals in 439 appearances "bang average?" Seems harsh.

Anyway, it's not Monday 11pm yet and Eddie Howe says it's a no go. He needs him for that all important 5 minute cameo you see....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here