Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS to Luton?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Spite from some of the usual suspects - no great surprise.

It didn't work out for CMS with us, - I doubt many would disagree with that. Is there any need to keep running the bloke down though?

I wish him all the very best of luck and I hope to see him banging goals in somewhere next season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

It didn't work out for CMS with us, - I doubt many would disagree with that. Is there any need to keep running the bloke down though?

I wish him all the very best of luck and I hope to see him banging goals in somewhere next season.

Exactly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

No need to be so sanctimonious. Because it's not "spite", it's a frustration that so many people on here continue to excuse his basic footballing flaws by making up nonsense like "he didn't fit into our playing style", when the fact is he looked average (drifting to plain old crap) under 3 different managers. I don't wish him anything but good luck going forwards, because he always tried when he wore the stripes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No need to be so sanctimonious. Because it's not "spite", it's a frustration that so many people on here continue to excuse his basic footballing flaws by making up nonsense like "he didn't fit into our playing style", when the fact is he looked average (drifting to plain old crap) under 3 different managers. I don't wish him anything but good luck going forwards, because he always tried when he wore the stripes.

Maybe that would have been a better contribution to this thread than your opening gambits of 'CRAP' and 'gash'.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe

I never thought that he had a fair deal from Garcia or the mad Finn. He was, I thought the kind of player who needed the ball actually passed to him somewhere near the penalty area, when usually he would end up foraging for it somewhere else. I can't forget that pinpoint cross onto Ulloa's head in the play-offs against Forest. He said afterwards that OG told him "go out and see what you can do", which about typified OG's managerial skills and approach to most everything. And there was a goal line clearance at The Amex. He deserved a great deal better than he actually got from Albion. I hope he makes a big success somewhere else...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe that would have been a better contribution to this thread than your opening gambits of 'CRAP' and 'gash'.

Oh no! How is CMS going to cope? Someone on the internet said he was crap! How incredibly spiteful!

Honestly? You really think calling someone "crap" after 3 years of mediocrity as probably the club's highest earner and certainly the club's record signing is "spiteful"? Christ on a bike.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I never thought that he had a fair deal from Garcia or the mad Finn. He was, I thought the kind of player who needed the ball actually passed to him somewhere near the penalty area, when usually he would end up foraging for it somewhere else. I can't forget that pinpoint cross onto Ulloa's head in the play-offs against Forest. He said afterwards that OG told him "go out and see what you can do", which about typified OG's managerial skills and approach to most everything. And there was a goal line clearance at The Amex. He deserved a great deal better than he actually got from Albion. I hope he makes a big success somewhere else...

Agreed, good footballer who wasn't catered for by us. Always seemed like a top bloke too. Wish him all the best for the rest of his career.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh no! How is CMS going to cope? Someone on the internet said he was crap! How incredibly spiteful!

Honestly? You really think calling someone "crap" after 3 years of mediocrity as probably the club's highest earner and certainly the club's record signing is "spiteful"? Christ on a bike.

Yep. Sorry about that. Feel free to ignore.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Your 2 highlights from our club record signing, a striker no less, are a cross and goal line clearance? :lol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Your 2 highlights from our club record signing, a striker no less, are a cross and goal line clearance? :lol:

Lol you could add in that goal against Burnley...but it still is poor..personally i think truth lies somewhere between his ability and the way we set up.
He still remains the type of guy you hope gets success ...somewhere.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
35 goals in one season in League one would suggest he isn't crap.

It suggests it's more his level. He'll score goals in the Fourth Division. He's an outstanding striker at the right level. I don't begrudge him his wads of cash, I just wish Albion had got it right. But then again, he looked a good signing at face value.

For every CMS there's a Kayal. We live in hope.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep. Sorry about that. Feel free to ignore.
Each to their own. I think you're being a bit sensitive, tbh.

35 goals in one season in League one would suggest he isn't crap.
I tend to agree with [MENTION=282]Meade's Ball[/MENTION] - he was a very good league one striker. We were hoping we were buying a bit of that. Turns out, we didn't. Personally, I think he will prove to be a middling league one striker nowadays. His main asset was his pace allied with confidence, when he could outpace flat-footed league one defenders. It seems to me that all of that has gone. :(

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It suggests it's more his level. He'll score goals in the Fourth Division. He's an outstanding striker at the right level. I don't begrudge him his wads of cash, I just wish Albion had got it right. But then again, he looked a good signing at face value.

Agreed with both West Ham and Leicester after him at the time

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With a bit of careful financial planning he probably won't have to work again, so he now has 3 or 4 years left of a short career to enjoy the game at a level that suits him - L1 or L2

CMS has a family to support , the only footballers who wont have to work again for the rest of their lives after they hang up their boots at 35 are the likes of Beckham and Rooney.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Each to their own. I think you're being a bit sensitive, tbh.

Maybe.

I'm happy to lay the boot into the likes of Agustien and Best all day long, but not CMS, and he was no particular favourite of mine. He arrived in what was an amazingly exciting Summer four years ago. The finishing touches were being put to the Amex and we were back in the Championship again with the prospect of being able to properly compete for the first time in a generation.

CMS seemed destined for better things than us. Bigger clubs with deeper pockets were courting him, but Poyet and Bloom pulled off what we all thought was an absolute blinder. He was a beacon for Albion optimism.

In the intervening four years he has been an absolutely tremendous representative of the club. Yes, we can joke about the smiling, the nice hair, the clapping of the fans and always retweeting but the fact is, in the modern age of footballst twats, he has been anything but that. He has the right to feel a bit aggrieved about his time here but if he does feel that way, he never showed it as he always behaved in an exemplary manner.

Our younger players won't have learned how to control a football when looking at CMS, but I hope they have picked up the right way to go about their trade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here