Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's back to playing the Oscar Garcia way....one up front with a distant midfield & defence sauntering out of defence leaving the front two with zero support.
It was apparent how Brentford pressed high up the field as a unit where we didn't.
The turning point wasn't the sending off, we were being tactically beaten well before that

and you would've thought we would've learnt our lesson from the way Brentford played at home.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
He played the utterly ineffectual Baldock out wide, when we had the more talented, and better suited Teixeira and Colunga available.

He made three substitutions without removing the woeful CMS.

It's fair to say, my confidence in his tactical nous has taken a hit.

Absolutely ****ing amazing. 3 games. 3 bloody games you total moron.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Apart from the Brighton boys our squad is poor , very poor . We need to bite the bullet , get rid of all loanees and spend on on only good young prospects . Ideally locally . If we can stay up this year that would be a bonus but we have to be realistic and accept that with home form of two league wins this season we are really in serious trouble . Buy isn , loanees won't help so let's bite the Bullet get lots of local boys on the park and see if we can stay up on that basis - at least they would fight for us .

Do in short

Loanees return or we buy them
We stop having these ridiculous short term deals with people
Identify and spend good money on quality players - 2 per year
Let CMS go - simply doesn't score . Sorry good effort and genuine passion.
Accept we really could be relegated
Riot If they flog our top scorer - despite his handbag effort today

It's not a good year clearly -but we are Brighton and it would never be boring xx

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are so slow on the break it's painful to watch. I hope the hoofing of balls to the totally ineffective CMS all game, having given the opposition chance to regroup by passing the ball backwards and sideways, is not the way Hughton likes to play football. Our possession game outside of our own own half seems to have been binned. As someone else has already pointed out, we set up like the away team. Early days so I hope this is just Hughton getting to know the team and things will change.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
You're so right, we are ****, Hughton is not a good manager and he was only bought in as a bargain replacement for Hyypia, who is a fellow yes man, as we haven't got a pot to piss in as all we care about is FFP!, it's all Barber's fault, Bloom OUT!, Barber OUT!, Hughton OUT!, Burke OUT! :moo: :jester: :flounce: :jester: :moo: .

and so on...

but in all seriousness he's had three ****ing games ffs!, of which he's won two, give him a ****ing chance, you do realise that we are not the shit of the division anymore like we were under Poyet, you can't expect good performances and wins every week, especially when we are in a relegation battle with what, I hate to say is, a league one front line. So clean up your bed, be thankful we are in 19th and 3 points clear of the relegation zone and get behind the team FFS!.

Rant Over.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can we judge Hewwwton after he buys a decent group of 4 strikers, and not before ? ??? ? ??? ? ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He played the utterly ineffectual Baldock out wide, when we had the more talented, and better suited Teixeira and Colunga available.

He made three substitutions without removing the woeful CMS.

It's fair to say, my confidence in his tactical nous has taken a hit.

He started with the same squad who won their last game, as for the Subs, he was somewhat tied with Dunk being sent off. We also needed a goal, so it was the right move to keep CMS and O'Grady on the pitch together

Blimey ..that didnt take long...one loss a few moves you didnt agree with ...you surprise me

Absolutely ****ing amazing. 3 games. 3 bloody games you total moron.

Haha. Sorry, you misunderstand. I'm not saying for a second he is a bad manager, or a poor choice. I think he's probably the steady hand we need long term.

All I mean is that it's very early days, and we are all waiting to see and learn what Hughton is all about - how he sets up a team, how he reacts to situations, when and how he makes substitutions, etc. Personally on all those counts, I think he'll have better afternoons.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Haha. Sorry, you misunderstand. I'm not saying for a second he is a bad manager, or a poor choice. I think he's probably the steady hand we need long term.

All I mean is that it's very early days, and we are all waiting to see and learn what Hughton is all about - how he sets up a team, how he reacts to situations, when and how he makes substitutions, etc. Personally on all those counts, I think he'll have better afternoons.

Welcome to the world of Chris Hughton.

How does he react to situations? Well at Norwich last season we failed to equalise in the league away from home

Substitutions? Last season at Norwich, we ended an 11 month drought without a substitute scoring

Get used to setting up not to lose, like for like substitutions very late in the game and binary football.

If you score first, great. Concede first, oh dear.

He is however, a bloody nice guy!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tactics were OK. Team selection was iffy. Bruno is an automatic for right back for me.

Trouble is the referee and Brentford had other ideas. Them getting the goal first (their first shot) somewhat mucked up the plan. CH must have an idea of the best team by now (after the game).

v Brentford(H).JPG

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/830287/Live/England-Championship-2014-2015-Brighton-Brentford

Diagram is possession stats. Dunk was low cause he did not play the whole game.

I thought we were direct. The despised % game does not work against good teams. It was a shambles. Worst first half of the season and the second half wasn't that bright.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Many of the comments I agree with. I wasn't keen on the Hughton appointment as I thought he would discourage the passing and possession game.

I think the 4-2-3-1 is better than Poyets 4-1-4-1 although I prefer 4-3-3 but we haven't got the players for it quite yet.

I don't go 100% on What Score stats. It has faults. Pace is pretty well ignored and some players are influential in a game and that does not score.

I think other Managers can see Hughton coming. It does not mean his defence is unsound though. Having a good defence is not so good when we are chasing a game though. I think I go more for the patient build up of Oscar and Poyet even though it did not produce wins when going behind. It is getting the balance right.

Feb 14, 2010
He needs to understand the players are just a bit shit and not worthy to play in front of 27000 for Brentford at home when knocking on relegation door in the Championship. I'd tell the players that and tell them that no matter what they will run their socks off and not lose, as I actively recruit. I also would have them running not around a posh new training ground but Whitehawk, Moulscoomb and Newhaven. These players have not earned the right to swan around a posh training ground.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FFS, he's only just got here! The team seems to have stabilised since Sami went, but they're not going to win every match. Not yet, anyway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We are so slow on the break it's painful to watch. I hope the hoofing of balls to the totally ineffective CMS all game, having given the opposition chance to regroup by passing the ball backwards and sideways, is not the way Hughton likes to play football. Our possession game outside of our own own half seems to have been binned. As someone else has already pointed out, we set up like the away team. Early days so I hope this is just Hughton getting to know the team and things will change.

Accurate assessment for me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
...when and how he makes substitutions, etc. Personally on all those counts, I think he'll have better afternoons.

Two of the subs yesterday were forced on him anyway... JFC replaced by Colunga was due to his injury, Halford replacing Dunk due to the sending off. Both Colunga / Halford did ok i thought. COG replacing March was unusual but then March was tired by then, wasn't having one of his better games and COG has done well coming on at that point in the previous three games...

As for taking CMS off , well he had several chances and could / should have scored but didn't put them away did he...not sure if you can blame the manager for that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

He can assess the squad all week on the training ground but the only time he is going to see exactly how well they play is in matches. It is how he reacts to yesterday's game that is the key..

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Hughton was doing his nut at times yesterday demanding the players get it forward quicker and yet time and again the player in possession turned back the way he'd come from and played a sideways or backwards pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here