Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Why is it so hard to get a job?

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Whilst I agree that you want the best for your son I don't think it's worth it career wise for the majority. I have a decent degree in Politics and it has not played any part in getting myself decent work. After uni I carried on working in pubs for about a year, mostly with people that had degree's, masters and even a PhD!

Had a great time at uni and met my Mrs with whom I have a beautiful little girl so from that aspect uni was great. Am now in a project coordinator position on decent money purely by hard work and a little luck. If you are desperate for your son to go to uni I would really recommend he does a degree with a specific profession in mind such as engineering, architecture, medicine etc. Otherwise the debt you build up is not worth the financial rewards or lack of it in my opinion

Not 'desperate' for my son to go to Uni.Obviously when I said I would drag him there and disown him I didn't mean it.Uni is not the only solution but it's a very good one.I agree that you have to know what area you want to work in.It seems to me alot of youngsters go to Uni to party and for that whole Uni scene.They pick random subjects and then leave not knowing what they want to do.

It seems carteaters choices are either Uni or random jobs.I hope he chooses Uni.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
If you took 100 people who went to uni and 100 who didn't which group would you think overall did/would do better in life?
Just from experience....my friends who didn't go to uni are doing better in terms of work.

My best friend who left school in year 10 to work at Poundland, he is outdoing everyone.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
It seems to me alot of youngsters go to Uni to party and for that whole Uni scene.They pick random subjects and then leave not knowing what they want to do.
It seems carteaters choices are either Uni or random jobs.I hope he chooses Uni.

I went to uni for the scene and hated it at the uni I went to, I did a course simply because I got the best A level Grade in it, with no realistic career path in my mind and when I got there I switched off it almost straight away.
I never looked at the Uni I went to in person before I went, if I had done I wouldn't have gone there :( as I've very much preferred the ones I've gone and looked at this year.
And also I didn't deal with my mental health issues that got very bad in the months before I went and had been on and off for quite a few years.
I did the opposite to all of this when I applied this year.
But I want to work in finance and I can in theory do that without going to uni at all and just working my way up somewhere, albeit it's much harder to get an opportunity to go down that route.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
If you cant get a job at L&G, AMEX, Llyods or EDF give up.

Go direct to there websites and look at the job boards from the offices in brigbton and hove.

If not sign up to indeed there are loads of admin roles around.

If you want to do something different you must be able to get labouring roles, do you not have a network to ask?

Just to add that Munkfish is bang on with L&G. My area is going through a massive redundancy exercise between now-June 2019 and therefore a large amount of staff will be moving on before the end date. This means there'll be a large intake of temps/fixed-term contractors for the next 15 months.
Once you've got your foot in the door, you can of course apply for any sort of permanent positions that are available in the sections that aren't about to close down.

I can't off-hand remember the name of the agency we use but if you're interested and would like to know more on it then please PM me and I'll find out all I can tomorrow.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Sorry to vent on here, but I've been trying to find temporary work for 4 months.
I managed to get a job at a pub, I won't name them, but they ended up telling me they didn't want me because people with way more experience than me applied for the same job shortly after I started and they allegedly don't have time to train people (Why would you hire me in the first place when I had no experience of pub work? ???) :angry:.

I have signed up with almost every single agency in Brighton and have got nothing. I have a good amount of Office experience for someone my age. Is it because I'm a uni drop out? even though I'm probably going back in September and I haven't mentioned it anywhere in my CV?

Can anyone suggest things I'm doing wrong? Or other things I should do?

Can you drive, if so, perhaps you could drive patients to hospital from their homes?

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/jobs?q=Patient+Transport&l=East+Sussex

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
We're going to have a shortage of computer programmers numbering 10s of thousands in the UK by 2020.

My advice - go back to University, get your degree and use your final year to try to get into computing....
pays magnificently as well.

AlwaysASeagull

Apr 29, 2016
Hi
Sorry if I’ve missed your university plans anywhere, but do you have a longer term plan or aim in a particular sector? You mention university but I work in education and depending on your interests and living / financial circumstances have ypu considered apprenticeships? A number we handle pay living wage and there are some great roles across customer services, digital / marketing, IT, admin etc etc. Might be worth you checking the Apprenticeships job-board via direct.gov or lovelocaljobs.com

Oct 25, 2003
If you took 100 people who went to uni and 100 who didn't which group would you think overall did/would do better in life?

would depend on the age group and your definition of "doing better in life"

I'd say the 5 wealthiest people I know of my age group (lets say 25-35) didn't go to uni

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Probably 50% from both. Like others the wealthiest and most successful people I know didn't go to university. A university degree is NOT a guarantee of a good job. It may have been back in the 70s or 80s, but today if you go the uni route you really need to add a Masters to stand out from the 'Me 2' bog-standard degree crowd. (My son is finding this and is contemplating adding to his debt by doing a Masters). And even in the 70s in my era it was possible to leave school at 16 with no qualifications and still end up in a better position than someone who had been to uni.

So if you want your son to end up with tens of thousands of debt and a qualification that could well be utterly worthless in the job market: yeah drag him to uni or disown him like you said. But really you shouldn't worry if he wants to leave school at the earliest opportunity and get a job. A formal education and formal qualifications aren't for everybody.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry to vent on here, but I've been trying to find temporary work for 4 months.
I managed to get a job at a pub, I won't name them, but they ended up telling me they didn't want me because people with way more experience than me applied for the same job shortly after I started and they allegedly don't have time to train people (Why would you hire me in the first place when I had no experience of pub work? ???) :angry:.

You don't say how long you worked in the pub, but presumably long enough to get to grips with the basics. So you NOW have experience of pub work. Just because you got a raw deal with one pub, doesn't necessarily mean you'd get the same with another one. Maybe also take a look at the major pub chains like Wetherspoons or Harvesters? They've all got their own recruitment sections for staff at all levels, including trainees or those with limited experience. You may well have a better chance of finding a position through those rather than through a generalised job agency who won't necessarily bust a gut to find you something.

https://www.jdwetherspooncareers.co.uk/

https://www.harvester.co.uk/jobs

Good luck, you WILL get something :thumbsup:

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Probably 50% from both. Like others the wealthiest and most successful people I know didn't go to university. A university degree is NOT a guarantee of a good job. It may have been back in the 70s or 80s, but today if you go the uni route you really need to add a Masters to stand out from the 'Me 2' bog-standard degree crowd. (My son is finding this and is contemplating adding to his debt by doing a Masters). And even in the 70s in my era it was possible to leave school at 16 with no qualifications and still end up in a better position than someone who had been to uni.

So if you want your son to end up with tens of thousands of debt and a qualification that could well be utterly worthless in the job market: yeah drag him to uni or disown him like you said. But really you shouldn't worry if he wants to leave school at the earliest opportunity and get a job. A formal education and formal qualifications aren't for everybody.

Peope are giving small examples of a few people they know.One even suggesting 100 people who go to Uni and do the same subject.Media studies!
I am talking about an average of 100 people who went to Uni and those who didn't.It might be that someone knows 5 wealthy people who didn't go to Uni
because he doesn't mix in circles of people who would go to Uni.Perhaps he knows 5 wealthy people who didn't go to Uni and also 20 who didn't
but are on average money.I am talking about 100 or 200 or 1000.

If you took 1000 successful people from all kinds of employment I'm sure many of them would have gone to Uni.

On the other hand ,yes if you can get a career without Uni then great.You get paid from the beginning,you gain work experience and
you don't gain debt.Perfect.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
would depend on the age group and your definition of "doing better in life"

I'd say the 5 wealthiest people I know of my age group (lets say 25-35) didn't go to uni

The wealthiest person I know didn't go to Uni.

Most of the people I know didn't go to Uni and most have average jobs.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I went to uni for the scene and hated it at the uni I went to, I did a course simply because I got the best A level Grade in it, with no realistic career path in my mind and when I got there I switched off it almost straight away.
I never looked at the Uni I went to in person before I went, if I had done I wouldn't have gone there :( as I've very much preferred the ones I've gone and looked at this year.
And also I didn't deal with my mental health issues that got very bad in the months before I went and had been on and off for quite a few years.
I did the opposite to all of this when I applied this year.
But I want to work in finance and I can in theory do that without going to uni at all and just working my way up somewhere, albeit it's much harder to get an opportunity to go down that route.

You have to do what's best for you of course.Good luck.

Stumpy Tim

It really depends on the 200 people sampled. The wealthiest person I know didn't go to university, but instead became a plumber. Now owns a plumbing firm with 15 or so employees, aged 35, owns a house on a posh street in Hove with a car I couldn't begin to dream to afford.

My girlfriend, a graduate, is earning a fairly decent wage - a job completely unrelated to her degree, mind - and is paying around £80pm back towards it, with no realistic chance of ever paying it back within the 30 years.

University is a massive gamble, unless you are absolutely certain and able to do what you want to do. There are plenty of opportunities to progress out there without spending 3 years and £50k studying a specific subject.

I agreed with you up to the last piece. Going to university reduces the risk of not getting a decent job, so isn't a gamble. What's more of a gamble is not getting an education and not having a break that gets you on the working ladder. Your plumber mate has obviously done well, but there are plenty of people who don't do that well without education and fall through the cracks.

Truth is, both can succeed but if you have a university education you're more likely to end up with a "decent" income than not. There's no right or wrong way of course, but that's my observation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here