Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] unregistered schools

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t profess to know much about religions other than CofE - I had the usual round of Sunday schools, church choir, and school assemblies. I have never practised it as an adult. The one thing I would say is that it instilled some values and codes to live by that have stayed all my life. Right from wrong, good from bad etc. I think these values were positive. (Albeit that some of the dodgy preachers of it are crawling out of the woodwork.)
The thing that worries me is the instilling of values that aren’t positive, and uncontrolled,religious, educational establishments would be a source for this. The same should apply to religious establishments but during my lifetime there has been an increase in the diversity of religions in this country, each with their own values, and increasingly more at odds with others.
I come to the conclusion that all educational establishments should cut out religion and focus on what is and isn’t acceptable in our society. Religion - it’s all become a bit scary for one reason or another.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
If you are referring to the support for 'faith schools', it was Blaire, and the reason why left the labour party.

As it happens I agree with [MENTION=17374]Bulldog[/MENTION]. Schools should be absolutly secular. And I speak as one who went to a C of E primary school, church every other Wednesday, and a secondary school that held Christian prayer each morning, and where I learned much of what eventually became part of my moral outlook.

For me all schools (including private, whether Eton or a back street madrasa) should be compelled to teach the national curriculum and forbidden from 'teaching' religion or engaging in religious worship. Morality and eithics can be part of the curriculum, and even study of comparative religion, if undertaken appropriately.

But allowing 'schools' to teach doctrine as truth, regardless of whether or not they bother teaching anything else that is actually worthwhile on the national curriculum, should not be legal. Indoctrination coupled with denial of proper education equals child abuse.
Perfectly put.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We went to the same school, but I was the sporty popular one, you were the snide school punch bag, how Tideway ever produced such a pompous, self serving wimp god only knows :lolol:

I did my Os at Tideway. But I went to Lewes for my As. Guess you were an early leaver? :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
But allowing 'schools' to teach doctrine as truth, regardless of whether or not they bother teaching anything else that is actually worthwhile on the national curriculum, should not be legal.

Schools aren't allowed to teach it as truth, they're meant to teach it as 'some people believe ... others believe... but you must make up your own mind.'

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Schools aren't allowed to teach it as truth, they're meant to teach it as 'some people believe ... others believe... but you must make up your own mind.'

Surely you wouldn't expect a teacher to say 'some people believe 2+2 =5' and 'others believe 2+2=6' and then add 'you must make up your own mind' just tell them 2+2=4 FFS.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Surely you wouldn't expect a teacher to say some people believe 2+2 =5 and others believe 2+2=6 and then add you must make up your own mind, tell them 2+2=4 FFS.
What's maths got to do with it?

Isn't this a thread on the teaching of religion?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went to 2 Catholic schools and now suffer from Pedagophobia, Didaskaleinophobia and especially Sphenisciphobia.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I went to 2 Catholic schools and now suffer from Pedagophobia, Didaskaleinophobia and especially Sphenisciphobia.

On the plus side, they gave you the chance to excel at Scrabble.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Surely you wouldn't expect a teacher to say 'some people believe 2+2 =5' and 'others believe 2+2=6' and then add 'you must make up your own mind' just tell them 2+2=4 FFS.

Have you always been a p1llock or has it taken years of practice?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you are referring to the support for 'faith schools', it was Blaire, and the reason why left the labour party.

As it happens I agree with [MENTION=17374]Bulldog[/MENTION]. Schools should be absolutly secular. And I speak as one who went to a C of E primary school, church every other Wednesday, and a secondary school that held Christian prayer each morning, and where I learned much of what eventually became part of my moral outlook.

For me all schools (including private, whether Eton or a back street madrasa) should be compelled to teach the national curriculum and forbidden from 'teaching' religion or engaging in religious worship. Morality and eithics can be part of the curriculum, and even study of comparative religion, if undertaken appropriately.

But allowing 'schools' to teach doctrine as truth, regardless of whether or not they bother teaching anything else that is actually worthwhile on the national curriculum, should not be legal. Indoctrination coupled with denial of proper education equals child abuse.

When I mentioned the government that allowed this to happen was stupid, I had in mind the proliferation of non-registered schools - not faith Schools - and I was probably wrong in blaming Cameron. I don't know if it is just something which has been allowed to happen.

Although I have a faith, I do not hold a torch for Faith Schools - far from it. But having said that, I think it is a known phenomenom that many people of other faiths send their Children to Christian Schools because of their quality and ethos. There is a Catholic Girls' School (State) in Southampton which numbers Muslims and Hindus among its pupils.

And they can not teach straight religion. if they at state-funded, they have to follow the national curriculum, which specifies comparative religion, I believe - in other words, covering all the major religions......... and any sensible Christian/Muslim/Hindu or whatever would welcome that. The state system. technically at least, does not permit indoctrination.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

But unregistered and religious schools very certainly teach their doctrine as truth. That is the whole poot of this thread. It is wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here