Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Complete opposite, surely? We played exact same tactics that we've played for three years, and today proved that these tactics are capable of providing attacking football

MASSIVE difference between today and Wednesday. On Wednesday we took an early lead and sat on it, waiting for the equalizer. Today we took an early lead and looked to build on it. The two games aren't even close in comparison, other than that our opposition were dire in both.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
MASSIVE difference between today and Wednesday. On Wednesday we took an early lead and sat on it, waiting for the equalizer. Today we took an early lead and looked to build on it. The two games aren't even close in comparison, other than that our opposition were dire in both.

I'd have thought the MASSIVE difference between today and Wednesday is the fact that today was at home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'd have thought the MASSIVE difference between today and Wednesday is the fact that today was at home.

That's the OBVIOUS difference. The obvious similarity is that in both games we were 1 up against a shit team. Why does the colour of the stands or where the dug outs are make a difference. And don't say fans. Stains fans were literally booing their every touch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I disagree - we were great today and kept attacking, but West Ham played their part in our success. They were poor, and Southampton didn't let us play as we did today. You can't just decide you want to keep attacking and dominate a game.

This.

Experiened PL outfit Stains dominated us with home advantage, no surprise there. Plus they're a dangerous team when they get it together, borne out by ripping cocky WBA and Pardew apart today. Perhaps CH's approach got us a vital point.

Against an injury ravaged West Ham, we started on the front foot and were able to keep it up for the vast majority of the game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But the tactics were the same. Just different opposition, different performances from our players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why? Shackles came off today & we won 3-1 proving the 75% right.
Although I was slightly on the side of 'yes', today's performance proved us wrong more than anything. He obviously does allow the team to attack when the game allows it, and his quote after the game shows it's not his plan to suddenly get defensive when we do take the lead.

Another point on the subject (not aimed at GB):
Nearly all of us feel that we messed up not getting a striker in the summer, so we've been competing without a PL strike-force. Many also think that half our first team (let alone squad) are Championship standard. So how have we got 27 points with a below par squad, despite having a Championship level manager too?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
MASSIVE difference between today and Wednesday. On Wednesday we took an early lead and sat on it, waiting for the equalizer. Today we took an early lead and looked to build on it.
Indeed, but not because Chris told the team to do that. Today do you think Moyes said at half time 'if you go a goal behind again, I want you to sit back and let Brighton continue to push for another'?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why does the colour of the stands or where the dug outs are make a difference.
I don't know, it's a mystery to me, but it's clearly a fact in football. All across the world, teams generally do better at home than away, it's just a fact.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Although I was slightly on the side of 'yes', today's performance proved us wrong more than anything. He obviously does allow the team to attack when the game allows it, and his quote after the game shows it's not his plan to suddenly get defensive when we do take the lead.

Another point on the subject:
Nearly all of us feel that we messed up not getting a striker in the summer, so we've been competing without a PL strike-force. Many also think that half our first team (let alone squad) are Championship standard. So how have we got 27 points with a below par squad, despite having a Championship level manager too?

Wow. That's quite a leap. At no point have I said he's a Championship level manager. If you go over the posts on the thread I've said he was too cautious away but I was in no way calling for him to go. Point 100% proved today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We played 4-4-1-1 today, the team was the change bar AK for March and we were 1-1 at half time. Kayal replaced Gross as per normal. Ulloa replaced Murray as per normal. March replaced Knockaert as per normal.
What about our tactics, and formation were really any different to Southampton ?

Or did we just play better, have some luck (the ref advantage, Jose's worldie), or were up against a poor team. Either way. What about our tactics, formation and how the players were deployed was different ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the OBVIOUS difference. The obvious similarity is that in both games we were 1 up against a shit team. Why does the colour of the stands or where the dug outs are make a difference. And don't say fans. Stains fans were literally booing their every touch

I'd imagine there's a mentality to it:-

'Win at home draw away'.

Southampton were able to substitute themselves back into the game.
West Ham were shocking pretty much from start to finish.

Would you take a point at Stoke if it guarantees 3 v Swansea?

I'd bite your freakin hand off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wow. That's quite a leap. At no point have I said he's a Championship level manager.
I never said you did, it's a general point regarding Hughton's ability (which is what this thread is about), because others have said it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'd imagine there's a mentality to it:-

'Win at home draw away'.

Southampton were able to substitute themselves back into the game.
West Ham were shocking pretty much from start to finish.

Would you take a point at Stoke if it guarantees 3 v Swansea?

I'd bite your freakin hand off.

Yes of course but I did say on the concourse that we'll now settle for a point up there :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes of course but I did say on the concourse that we'll now settle for a point up there :lolol:

I'm surprised Kayal didn't come on for Murray after 10 minutes.

I don't see how you can moan about Wednesday when you'd happily take exactly the same situation over the next 2 games.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm surprised Kayal didn't come on for Murray after 10 minutes.

I don't see how you can moan about Wednesday when you'd happily take exactly the same situation over the next 2 games.

Well taking a point and getting the maximum from a game are two different things. If we're at Stoke and after 15 mins we're 1 up having also missed a sitter and with their crowd baying for blood then anything less than a win will be failure.

Bet you weren't there on Wednesday

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well taking a point and getting the maximum from a game are two different things. If we're at Stoke and after 15 mins we're 1 up having also missed a sitter and with their crowd baying for blood then anything less than a win will be failure.

Bet you weren't there on Wednesday

The other team is allowed to play as well.

There's the possibility all that could happen v Stoke and their players rise to the occasion.
Or they might just be shitehouse for the full 90 minutes.

If it were to be an identical game CH will still do exactly the same, because it's what he's always done.
There's no way his team will chase more goals, away, when leading in a Premier League game.
If they come great, if not then expect to see the midfield get bolstered the longer the game goes on.
You really ought to be used to that by now.

No I wasn't there on Wednesday.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
But the tactics were the same. Just different opposition, different performances from our players.

You keep repeating this but I think it's incorrect. We had the same general formation as Wednesday, but the players were clearly instructed to play in a different way. Propper and Stephens started 20 yards further forward and were positively trying to drive us forwards when they had the opportunity, which was great to watch. Gross was more of a number 10, rather than a central midfielder, and was causing confusion for West Ham by dictating play across the pitch. Izquierdo could regularly be seen up front, which stretched the West Ham defence and allowed Bong space to run into and play in (part of the reason why he played so well). Knockaert started instead of March, and Knockaert's instinct is to always push us up the pitch and create chances. The mentality was completely different to Wednesday, when we were happy to play for and stick with a point. Of course you can say Southampton didn't allow us to play that way - but I think Southampton were gash and we gifted them a point. The balance on Wednesday wasn't quite right, IMO. I wouldn't expect us to create as many chances as we did today, given we were away. But I would have preferred a bit more intent - on Wednesday it looked like we were happy to sit back. Whereas today, the team was set up to create space to allow the attacking players to get involved, and to create chances. We could have scored more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here