Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Richard Scudamore: Premier League clubs asked for £250,000 towards £5m bonus

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What Barber has stated is in contradiction to what SSN are STILL reporting.

Someones not got the story straight.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Have just read in the "i" that gift is subject to certain conditions concerning non-competition and advice to his successor. I would think this is not a "gift" in the normal sense and would be surprised if HMRC did not at least investigate.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So, fake news ? Or is Barber spinning this more than Shane Warne ?

I guess the clubs accounts will show in a year or so's time (when everyones forgotten about it).

But it won't.

The club will just have received less revenue from EPL than we would have done had this mess not happened.
BHA's accounts will be fine. EPL's account will show an additional "exceptional expense" of £5m that means less money was available for distribution. But, I imagine that, amonst the largese in their accounts in a normal year, that this will be barely one sentence in the auditor's report.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But it won't.

The club will just have received less revenue from EPL than we would have done had this mess not happened.
BHA's accounts will be fine. EPL's account will show an additional "exceptional expense" of £5m that means less money was available for distribution. But, I imagine that, amonst the largese in their accounts in a normal year, that this will be barely one sentence in the auditor's report.

That will indeed be the case if Barber's explanation is exactly how Scudamore receives this bung. But thats still not what the media are reporting.

If the media's version is correct, then we'd presumably see a £250k deduction somewhere in the accounts. It won't say "Pete's Prezzie" or "Scuda's Moolah" - I guess it'd be in amongst 'payments to Directors' or somesuch.

But I'm sure PB's version is the correct one...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We will however say - again - that Richard Scudamore has done an outstanding job for the Premier League - and for the Football League before that - for almost 20 years. All of us at this football club thank Richard for what he has done for football - at all levels - and we all wish him well for the future.

Thanks, Paul"

Spoken like a true football fan

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That will indeed be the case if Barber's explanation is exactly how Scudamore receives this bung. But thats still not what the media are reporting.

If the media's version is correct, then we'd presumably see a £250k deduction somewhere in the accounts. It won't say "Pete's Prezzie" or "Scuda's Moolah" - I guess it'd be in amongst 'payments to Directors' or somesuch.

If the money were to come directly from the club, and personally, I’m happy to believe PB’s assertion that it isn’t, then part of it would be shown on this year’s P&L and part would be shown as a deferred liability on the balance sheet (because it’s being paid over 3 years).

The bit in the P&L wouldn’t be in “Directors’ emoluments” because, err, Scudamore isn’t a Director of the club. It would most likely be included in the “other operating costs” line in the P&L, and thus utterly unidentifiable. The club could choose to draw attention to it if they wanted (just as they could choose to highlight any individual cost line - say, payments made to architects to draw up hotel or monorail plans), but equally, they could choose not to.

It’s not an audit issue - the auditors simply report on whether the accounts show a “true and fair view” of the company's financial state at the balance sheet date.

Someone else hit the nail on the head earlier. The club will be picking up their share of the payment, but indirectly - the PL will have £5m less to distribute over the next three years than it would otherwise have had, and so the Albion’s revenue will be lower than it would have otherwise been.

Unless PB is a lying b’stard, which I don’t believe for a minute he is.

If media are reporting different facts, my view is that is they who are, let’s be charitable, confused.

I’m aware that I’ve addressed some points that you haven’t raised - but others have, and I wanted to have my say in only one response! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I honestly think PB has this correct.

Scudamore is effectively being tied to the PL and not allowed to work for a competitor or poach staff for three years. Given the value of the broadcast deals and the inside knowledge that RS possesses, which would be worth a far larger sum than £5m to another potential employer, this payment is an effective insurance policy that will be worth paying in the views of the EPL.

The nature of the payment is that it does reduce the amount of money available to individual clubs, rather than owners having to write a cheque for £250k each to Richard Scudamore, but this works out at £83k a year for each of the clubs each year during that period, and if the club is relegated it will effectively be borne by the club that replaces them.

The story in the papers is more emotive, more click bait orientated, and more agenda driven.

I've no issue with what Scudamore is paid, he's delivered billions for the Premier League, which is what he was asked to do. If anyone on here was in a similar job they'd expect to be well rewarded, and get a significant bonus on occasion too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Scudamore is effectively being tied to the PL and not allowed to work for a competitor or poach staff for three years. Given the value of the broadcast deals and the inside knowledge that RS possesses, which would be worth a far larger sum than £5m to another potential employer, this payment is an effective insurance policy that will be worth paying in the views of the EPL.

The nature of the payment is that it does reduce the amount of money available to individual clubs, rather than owners having to write a cheque for £250k each to Richard Scudamore, but this works out at £83k a year for each of the clubs each year during that period, and if the club is relegated it will effectively be borne by the club that replaces them.

The story in the papers is more emotive, more click bait orientated, and more agenda driven.

I've no issue with what Scudamore is paid, he's delivered billions for the Premier League, which is what he was asked to do. If anyone on here was in a similar job they'd expect to be well rewarded, and get a significant bonus on occasion too.

Its interesting that this nuance has still not been referenced or acknowledged in ANY of the media reporting on this generous gift, none that I've seen anyway. We seem privy to it on here thanks to a direct response from our CEO at BHA, but the rest of the football world seems oblivious. I get the clickbait/shitstirring thing, but even David Gold, when questioned directly by reporters about it on leaving the meeting, made no reference whatsoever to the central PL account that is the source of this golden handshake, and did nothing to dispel the notion that the 20 clubs are directly paying it themselves. He just banged on about how worthy it all was.

David Conn referenced your goodself in his article on it here btw
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...amore-5m-gift-premier-league-greed-grassroots

You swarthy old media whore you x

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

So what about the £6 million bonus he was supposedly paid 2 years ago when he negotiated the current TV deal? he has been getting some nice bonuses throughout his career and from what I can tell it's his choice to leave so why the golden handshake?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So what about the £6 million bonus he was supposedly paid 2 years ago when he negotiated the current TV deal? he has been getting some nice bonuses throughout his career and from what I can tell it's his choice to leave so why the golden handshake?

It’s a non competition payment rather than a bonus.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
According to Barber, we weren't even asked. It wasn't put to a vote. Its just another bonus bung to a bloke who's been hoovering up bonuses up for nearly 20 years, and nothing was ever said about it back then. This only got all the attention because the media reported it in such a way as to suggest that we were actually stumping this up out of the BHA coffers (which would have been hugely offensive), but actually, its money that we've never had anyway, and if we believe Barber, don't have any say on.

The PL is a massive cashcow, and execs will always have their snouts in the trough. The fact that each club is NOT actually coughing up £250k each has really turned into a bit of a non-story now. If indeed that is the case.

Do the club sound in teh least bit hacked off by it though, or did that Barber response come across as snipping at US for moaning about it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do the club sound in teh least bit hacked off by it though, or did that Barber response come across as snipping at US for moaning about it?

It more comes across as putting the record straight.

Paul Barber is probably being about as open and as honest as he can be, given the nature of the situation. Does he have the remit from the other 19 clubs to say everything? Probably not.

What really hasn't helped is the story that was put out that the Chelsea chairman asked all other 19 PL chairmen for their clubs to cough up out of their own coffers - and that five clubs refused to do so. Given PB's message to El Pres (since posted on here), that is something which appears to require a large pot of salt to hand.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Although I am still annoyed with the pay off, I am at least now happy the money will not come directly from us as I now understand it.

Its still money out of the game which could be spent on better things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here