Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex by the sea - ending?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Always was win the cup for donkeys years. Now seems to be stand or fall. I’m good with that but some seem to forget / not been there for the win the cup days and it’s a bit weird how they completely diss that version :lol:

I also used to like the see set set set for first verse but that seems to have gone now too. Although the actual words version sounds mint too.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don't think many sing that. Don't people sing 'And we're going up, to win the cup, for Sussex by the sea'?

But Stand or Fall is the correct historic version that was written in the Great War, and it's about Sussex men who gave their lives for the country. It's miles better than the going up to win the cup version. It also makes sense, because our players do stand or fall, but they're rarely winning a cup.

I really hate to be pedantic, but, it was written in 1907, seven years before the outbreak of WW1

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stand or Fall.

Whilst I'm on the subject, it's Sussex Sussex by the Sea, Good old Sussex by the sea in the chorus, not GOSBTS twice.

It sounded great at Goodison today, well at least the verse did, but then the chorus goes berserk at twice the speed, which sounds like the Muppet Show.
Sing it slowly. Don't clap as that speeds it up.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Stand or Fall.

Whilst I'm on the subject, it's Sussex Sussex by the Sea, Good old Sussex by the sea in the chorus, not GOSBTS twice.

It sounded great at Goodison today, well at least the verse did, but then the chorus goes berserk at twice the speed, which sounds like the Muppet Show.
Sing it slowly. Don't clap as that speeds it up.

The acceleration with the claps is horrendous.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
No you don't you bloody love it.
Fair enough, thanks for the lesson. What was it about then?
I'm no historian but presumably relates to the Boer War (like The Kop at Anfield) and was written in the context of inevitable further military actions involving our "men from Sussex"...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Always stand or fall at the start of the game. Nothing wrong with win the cup, just doesn't seem right when it's a league game does it? Also the message of stand or fall is very apt I think

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Always stand or fall at the start of the game. Nothing wrong with win the cup, just doesn't seem right when it's a league game does it?
I can accept that you get a cup if you win the league or get promoted, so the cups we have won are from the league not the cup. For me it's more to do with the fact we probably not going to win the cup, and in our current position it's a mathematical impossibility.

Also the message of stand or fall is very apt I think
Agreed.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Me and a mate sing and we’re going up to win f u c k all for Sussex by the sea. Won’t be able to do it after we win the fa cup mind you. And before I get a slating for singing that is done tongue in cheek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring my boys,
And take the time from me,
And I'll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea! For...

(chorus)
We're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we;
And when you go to Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea !
Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea !
Good old Sussex by the Sea !
You may tell them all that we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea

2)
Up in the morning early,
Start at the break of day;
March till the evening shadows
Tell us it's time to stay.
We're always moving on my boys,
So take the time from me,
And sing this song as we march along,
Of Sussex by theSea. For . .
(chorus)

3)
Sometimes your feet are weary,
Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary,
Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring,
Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea. For . . .
(chorus)

4)
Light is the love of a soldier,
That's what the ladies say,
Lightly he goes a wooing,
Lightly he rides away.
In love and war we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is a lady's joy
In Sussex by the Sea. For . . .
(chorus)

5)
Far o'er the seas we wander,
Wide thro' the world we roam;
Far from the kind hearts yonder,
Far from our dear old home;
But ne'er shall we forget my boys,
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the Sea

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The cup version has been the only version that was sung at the Goldstone in all the time i have been a fan, it was sung through all the Gillingham and Withdean years and it has only since the Amex opened that a move towards stand or fall has started

I try to sing 'Stand or fall' nowadays, but after decades of singing it with the original (to me at least) cup lyrics, it often means i start singing the cup version words instead and end up having to switch mid verse because 'to win the cup' are just far more natural lyrics for me to sing due to all of the years that i'd sung that version.

Eventually it will swap and automatically becomes Stand or fall but will take time and i suspect there are plenty of others in the same boat as me

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Going up and win the cup version for me. Shows we are real fans with a history in the lower leagues. Poor old Arsenal and Everton don’t understand what it means to go up along with the other plastics who rarely taste relegation and if they did would probably switch allegiances.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It's undeniable that, for several decades past, the Goldstone crowds used to sing "Oh we're going up and we'll win the cup". (Although my father told me the authentic alternative was in fact "You can tell them all that we play football in Sussex by the Sea")

Having said that, I am 100% behind our fans now singing the song as it was originally written (and first published in 1907).

For me, reverting to the original words has a parallel with the breathtaking transformation of the Brighton station concourse, when all the obstructive paraphernalia of the 20th century was suddenly done away with, to reveal the glory of that beautifully-curved Victorian wrought-iron and glazed roof.

In the case of SBTS, stripping away a 20th century emphasis purely on football has suddenly revealed to Sussex people everywhere the true meaning - and poignancy - of our anthem's original words.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Being an old git now I was at the game when printed sheets were given out with the words. Norman Wisdom ran around the pitch with his cap on doing his Mr Grimshaw routine before singing his new version. That is what we sang for years. The original is far better, took me a bit of time but I do know all the words now. Whoever resurrected it needs congratulations.
Our own unique song

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Will we sing “going up to win the cup” at Wembley in May, just for old times sake?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think many sing that. Don't people sing 'And we're going up, to win the cup, for Sussex by the sea'?

But Stand or Fall is the correct historic version that was written in the Great War, and it's about Sussex men who gave their lives for the country. It's miles better than the going up to win the cup version. It also makes sense, because our players do stand or fall, but they're rarely winning a cup.

[MENTION=30652]Seagullroyal[/MENTION] is correct, at least as far as erly and mid 70s is concerned. The 'going up' bit was key as we had one eye on promotion from division 3 from the Freddie Goodwin times onward.

I sing 'stand or fall' now. It was a bit of a struggle, but I got there in the end :lolol: Mind you it took me years to stop singing 'sausage by the sea'.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here