Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] I.T. HelpDesk request

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm trying to use a work laptop and can't even get started.... grrr

What does the following mean and how do I get round it....?

“There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request”

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Assuming you're trying to use wireless ? The wireless is turned off possibly.

If not using wireless is your network cable properly plugged in ?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm trying to use a work laptop and can't even get started.... grrr

What does the following mean and how do I get round it....?

“There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request”

It means that your computer needs to connect to a server before it even lets you login. I.e, you need to be connected to the internet in some way.

Wifi won't work unless you've connected to a network before, so your only hope is plugging it in with an ethernet cable and hoping it connects successfully to whatever server it's trying to connect to.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It means that your computer needs to connect to a server before it even lets you login. I.e, you need to be connected to the internet in some way.

Wifi won't work unless you've connected to a network before, so your only hope is plugging it in with an ethernet cable and hoping it connects successfully to whatever server it's trying to connect to.
If I plug it into the University of Brighton ethernet will it be able to connect to the England Cricket Board server...?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I am assuming this is a laptop issued by the company you work for?

It's looking to verify your account against your company domain. Have you ever logged into the laptop before? If you have it should picked up your locally cached profile and login to that without the need to verify your account on the domain. If you've never logged into the laptop before then it would need to be connected your company network in some way, either via ethernet or wi-fi, this would normally have to be done while on company premises. You can then take the laptop away, login at home and connect to home wi-fi etc.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
If I plug it into the University of Brighton ethernet will it be able to connect to the England Cricket Board server...?

Only if the UoB network allows open access and has access to the internet and the ECB server is accessible form the internet.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Only if the UoB network allows open access and has access to the internet and the ECB server is accessible form the internet.
The internet access is pretty free and easy here ( :ahem: ). Is it likely that the ECB server will be accessible? Otherwise I'm screwed as I can't get to Lords today...

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Bollocks...!!!

It teased me by flicking to a nice "Welcome" screen before going back to “There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request”... grrr

Any other ideas about a way round this?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Your laptop is not recognised by the domain.

Has it been a while since you used it at work ?

Removing and re-adding to the domain always works for me... but you need Admin to do that...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Removing and re-adding to the domain always works for me... but you need Admin to do that...
Thanks. It is an ECB laptop that I've been sent to use. Seems barmy that it doesn't work.

The I.T. boffins at Lords are sadly unavailable but I just managed to get put through to the mobile of the ECB Head of I.T. who was suitably unimpressed by my plight but offered to arrange for me to receive a call back.

Thank you to NSC for nursing me through 40 minutes of intense frustration :)

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Assuming you've already used this laptop in the past. Wonder if it'll let you log onto a local account and not a domain one.

.\username i.e .\Moshe.Gariani and your usual password.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Assuming you've already used this laptop in the past. Wonder if it'll let you log onto a local account and not a domain one.

hmmm. just trying that...

is the.\ bit the only option for another "domain"

the default user is ECB-00708\ecbuser

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

The situation is that there are a number of us round the country who need these laptops just a couple of times a year and they get sent out to us. We all use the same username and password that comes with the laptop.

I remember some grief last year but can't remember if it was the same issue or something else.

I think I've got unlucky and hit the ECB I.T. department's Teambuilding Day or something...

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
hmmm. just trying that...

is the.\ bit the only option for another "domain"

the default user is ECB-00708\ecbuser

.\ means local user.. I assume ECB-00708 is the name of the computer.. If so, then in username type .\ecbuser . The domain should disappear( or change to the computer name) as you are logging on locally

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The situation is that there are a number of us round the country who need these laptops just a couple of times a year and they get sent out to us. We all use the same username and password that comes with the laptop.

I remember some grief last year but can't remember if it was the same issue or something else.

I think I've got unlucky and hit the ECB I.T. department's Teambuilding Day or something...

team building? think they need to do some work on their security protocols

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So its not actually a Sussex University laptop.... ?

I would be amazed if it did work if that's the case .... I work for BSUH NHS and Zero external Laptops etc connect to the domain its has to be our kit, NO exceptions.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I would be amazed if it did work if that's the case .... I work for BSUH NHS and Zero external Laptops etc connect to the domain its has to be our kit, NO exceptions.
It is an ECB laptop.

I don't know what a "domain" is unfortunately.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

It won't connect to the UoB domain definitely but unless they're using something like 802.1x for port authentication then there's a strong possibility he can physically plug into the network and get internet access ( assuming he gets an IP from a DHCP source ).

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

This. We get loads of these and have to make sure we turn off the firewall and know the local admin password as the PC is usually 200 miles away. Long way to go if you lose contact with the PC out of the domain.

Edit - Probably not in this case reading further.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here