Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Confident or not

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Championship is so ridiculously close and players so well matched, that the key is to get a tune out of the squad you have. That's where Hughton's got to be focussing; how can we be most effective with the player's we've got. if he gets Kayal, Stephens, Baldock, Hemed, LUA LUA!! playing at the top of their game and within the best formation then we'll challenge. If he can add some real quality in the attccking third then so much the better. Quietly optimistic because we've kept hold of a manager, who knows his way round this division, for the close season and the signings to date look like quality additions.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Championship is so ridiculously close and players so well matched, that the key is to get a tune out of the squad you have. That's where Hughton's got to be focussing; how can we be most effective with the player's we've got. if he gets Kayal, Stephens, Baldock, Hemed, LUA LUA!! playing at the top of their game and within the best formation then we'll challenge. If he can add some real quality in the attccking third then so much the better. Quietly optimistic because we've kept hold of a manager, who knows his way round this division, for the close season and the signings to date look like quality additions.

Let's hope he manages to do that a lot better than he managed to last season (half season).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The way we finished last season was worse than how we started so I had doubts about this season and Hughton's philosophy. However the signings of Rosenior and Bong shores us up at the back with two strong and experienced defenders. Hemed should be good and I like Baldock, O'Grady and Colunga despite some on here not rating the latter two.

We have had a settled and very organised pre-season and the squad seems to have bonded well, whereas last season they were no more than strangers with new players and 5 loans, so we are certainly in much better shape to start. We can afford to get 2 or 3 good loans in without causing an imbalance, but even if we start as we are I don’t have a problem.

I will go into the season giving every member of the squad and Hughton a clean slate and benefit of any doubts, but if our next 14 games are as bad as the last 14 games I will then start to be concerned.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Thought I`d resurrect this after Lewes......I`m even more confident we need goalscorers ..we can`t even score against Lewes

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thought I`d resurrect this after Lewes......I`m even more confident we need goalscorers ..we can`t even score against Lewes

We've not scored for 197 minutes now (since o'Grady's goal versus FC Meyrin). I'm not really serious, and we've played against very contrasting opposition, BUT it does serve to highlight the GLARING weakness in the team / squad.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
As I said on the poll thread, unless we make some serious signings in the next two weeks, in which case I would expect to finish between 8th and 12th (I think a serious push on the Play Offs will take more than one season), I expect a repeat of last season. If Hemed scores a few and Baldock stays fit, I would think this squad could achieve lower mid-table.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Happy if we get a speed merchant. Otherwise, I'm like the bookies and pundits, don't know how we are going to do. Same for a lot of clubs, if not most of them.

It will be interesting how Hull and Derby do as they mucked it up big time last year. Hull losing at home to Burnley and Derby losing out to Reading. The margins are very small. If Hull had beaten Burnley they would have had a sporting chance of staying up and Derby only needed a draw for the play-offs.

Chris Hughton was better than expected. I thought he would erode our passing game.

We had a enough shots last season. Just naff for a lot of reasons.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Not confident at all with our current squad.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Very very poor recruitment again and as per usual keeping clean sheets is priority....Where the hell are the wingers and pacey midfielders and strikers?
Yet again we'll panic buy and overpay....Three bloody months to find the players and they fack it up again unreal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I particularly enjoyed a couple of the old threads that have been bounced, so had a look back to July for hopes and fears for this season. Should help cheer anybody up who's disappointed with last night's draw.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I particularly enjoyed a couple of the old threads that have been bounced, so had a look back to July for hopes and fears for this season. Should help cheer anybody up who's disappointed with last night's draw.

Thanks - good to be reminded......seems the general view was that 'lower mid table' would probably be the limit of our ambitions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] should write [MENTION=33332]CurlyBHAFC[/MENTION] an apology?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here