Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idiot loses their way at Vogue Gyratory and ends up in... the cycle lane

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
i think the design is an utter farce, coming past the Sainsburys turning left up to Hollingdean drivers have to cut across the cycle lane. Not sure why the cyclists are coming off if they stick to the cycle lane, the curbs are on the edges, still cyclists are a law unto themselves.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You'll always get idiot pedestrians. The vast majority use the crossings.

I'd say the vast majority don't use the crossings actually. I think someone will get killed soon and they'll put the fences back in, sadly.

Personally I think the design is really good and always walk the extra 3 yards to use the crossings.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just driven round the gyatory and is that it ? That's what they spent months and hundreds of thousands of pounds doing ?? All they've really done is change the odd kerb, change a couple lanes permissions and put some red paint on the road. Utterly pointless. They had the opportunity to fix this part of the road and all they have done is waste money.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Are motorcycles allowed to use the cycle lanes around the new layout?
Nor seen any definitive signs saying they either can or can't.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do feel that today's Argus headline on the subject- "Death Trap Cycle Lane Claims A Fourth Victim"- is perhaps a tad misleading though.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I do feel that today's Argus headline on the subject- "Death Trap Cycle Lane Claims A Fourth Victim"- is perhaps a tad misleading though.

2 of the first 3 in under a week went over their handlebars, it's quite possible to die doing that. If you multiply by 52 weeks and years going forward whoever designed and signed it off will have a lot of blood on their hands.
Has anybody been named and sacked yet?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2 of the first 3 in under a week went over their handlebars, it's quite possible to die doing that. If you multiply by 52 weeks and years going forward whoever designed and signed it off will have a lot of blood on their hands.
Has anybody been named and sacked yet?

Yes, but the point is: nobody has died at the time of writing, so to (a) call it a death trap and (b) claim a fourth victim, does tend to imply there are four deceased parties, doesn't it?

I'm not suggesting the road is a marvellous piece of engineering. I'm saying the Argus is guilty of a bit of cheap, sensationalist headline writing in this particular case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd say the vast majority don't use the crossings actually. I think someone will get killed soon and they'll put the fences back in, sadly.

Personally I think the design is really good and always walk the extra 3 yards to use the crossings.

I worked there and used the crossings regularly and most other pedestrians were doing the same. Just my experience.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Yes, but the point is: nobody has died at the time of writing, so to (a) call it a death trap and (b) claim a fourth victim, does tend to imply there are four deceased parties, doesn't it?

I'm not suggesting the road is a marvellous piece of engineering. I'm saying the Argus is guilty of a bit of cheap, sensationalist headline writing in this particular case.

The Argus does have "Death Trap" in quotes as it was one of the injured cyclists that branded it so. I suspect if you had come off your bike at this piece of engineering and broken your wrist you might be inclined to use a "sensationalist" phrase which the Argus accurately reported.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Gyratory will always be a bad bit of road. Far too much going on in far to small a space.

However, most of you may have seen me darting around on my bike with the trailer during the week, and I have to go to Coldean twice a week, so have to use that bit of road. I have noticed this week there have been a lot of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians who are not using common sense when negotiating the area. I ride very defensively, ant do not cut corners, as I an one of the most venerable road users.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Dials yes. Lewes Road is just plain dangerous and someone most likely a cyclist will be seriously hurt before too long. My guess will be at either the turn into Coombe Road or into Coledean Lane. The delays at almost anytime of the day cannot possibly help with emissions oh and there's the disruption to locals, but other than that cracking idea...

Might be an idea to fill in all the potholes across town rather than grandiose ill thought out tinkering to an already awful traffic scenario. But each to their own I guess...

You have obviously not cycled on the Lewes Road, before the improvements then? iIt's miles better now. As for the Vogue, just need to get rid of the 2inch curbs and that will be much better too. Well done to the Greens and thanks from the silent 37% who don't own a car for the fantastic new cycling infrastructure.
It's all about the long game to improve cycling numbers for future generations like many other progressive European cities.
Look at the numbers re Albion (Withdean) and now (Falmer), maybe Tony is looking at the long game re Hyypia? [emoji1]
I await flaming from the lazy donut eaters.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
You have obviously not cycled on the Lewes Road, before the improvements then? iIt's miles better now. As for the Vogue, just need to get rid of the 2inch curbs and that will be much better too. Well done to the Greens and thanks from the silent 37% who don't own a car for the fantastic new cycling infrastructure.
It's all about the long game to improve cycling numbers for future generations like many other progressive European cities.
Look at the numbers re Albion (Withdean) and now (Falmer), maybe Tony is looking at the long game re Hyypia? [emoji1]

mmmmmm, donuts

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Gosh, evangelical cyclist nut. Never ever heard from one of those before yawn. How do you propose to adapt your bike to transport I dunno roof tiles to a building or food to a shop or how do you get around if you are too old/disabled to cycle? Don't worry about those people coz they're all eating donuts, you pompous ****.

What is actually needed is a scheme that allows all forms of transport including cycling to get around the town in a safe and efficient manner not the dogma based nonsense being imposed on the town currently.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Gosh, evangelical cyclist nut. Never ever heard from one of those before yawn. How do you propose to adapt your bike to transport I dunno roof tiles to a building or food to a shop or how do you get around if you are too old/disabled to cycle? Don't worry about those people coz they're all eating donuts, you pompous ****.

What is actually needed is a scheme that allows all forms of transport including cycling to get around the town in a safe and efficient manner not the dogma based nonsense being imposed on the town currently.

This could work for a variety of trades!

Attachments

• Screen Shot-3.jpg
    Screen Shot-3.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 326

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Definitely it's all about finding the middle ground.

Even the most rabid carist wouldn't disagree with the fact they had it all their own way through the 20th century.
Giving that up isn't going to be easy.

But all authorities need to be putting an infrastructure in place that benefits all road users.

Only when public transport, safe cycling and walking are available to all, will car use actually become a pleasurable experience, again.
I've not driven in Brighton for years, but my time spent cycling through makes me think driving is a complete and utter ballache, just because of the sheer quantity of cars.
The same applies to Worthing, Bognor, Chichester and even my village.

Reaching transport utopia is probably impossible without starting again.
But getting as near as possible can only benefit health, wealth and happiness.

Oh and I would never, never, use donuts as an abusive term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here