Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I tried The Curry Leaf on Ship Street on Sunday. It's South Indian, cafe style food in a relaxed setting with a good selection of craft beers which go amazingly well with Indian. Nice staff as well. A big thumbs up from me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I tried The Curry Leaf on Ship Street on Sunday. It's South Indian, cafe style food in a relaxed setting with a good selection of craft beers which go amazingly well with Indian. Nice staff as well. A big thumbs up from me.

It's good, but I'd rather pay a few quid extra to go to Chilli Pickle.
I've also been to 64 Degrees three times, and Merry Prankster articulates some good points, although I'm not quite as critical. They're experimental there, which suggests that dishes can be both hit and miss, and they're probably too experimental on their customers rather than themselves. Which points to what might be the most damning critique offered: whether his palate is good enough.
In the past, there are certain dishes: earlier cauliflower ones; a multi-malt dessert; smoked haddock and egg; perhaps even that chicken wing one too. All of these point to Michelin star standard in my book. It's just whether they can develop the consistency, and that ultimately is dependent on palate and technique as the Merry Prankster indicates.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's good, but I'd rather pay a few quid extra to go to Chilli Pickle.
I've also been to 64 Degrees three times, and Merry Prankster articulates some good points, although I'm not quite as critical. They're experimental there, which suggests that dishes can be both hit and miss, and they're probably too experimental on their customers rather than themselves. Which points to what might be the most damning critique offered: whether his palate is good enough.
In the past, there are certain dishes: earlier cauliflower ones; a multi-malt dessert; smoked haddock and egg; perhaps even that chicken wing one too. All of these point to Michelin star standard in my book. It's just whether they can develop the consistency, and that ultimately is dependent on palate and technique as the Merry Prankster indicates.

Agree, 64 Degrees can be hit-or-miss. I'd say more hit than miss though. I hear, and to degree agree with, what TMP is saying but, whilst falling short of Michelin star level, for me it is still a good restaurant. In fact it is in the Michelin guide but only with a bib gourmand. Some dishes are a bit clumsy and it lacks the precision of Michelin star cooking but still good and Ill be taking Die Frau there over Xmas.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's good, but I'd rather pay a few quid extra to go to Chilli Pickle..

Some of the NSC mods went to Chilli Pickle on Saturday night and I was really looking forward to it. I'll be honest, my memory is somewhat vague - we ate at 9pm and after a day that included The Battle of Trafalgar, the Amex bars and The Cyclist.

I do recall some very nice cheese croquette type things as a starter, but my curry didn't seem particularly remarkable. I was somewhat confused by the way it was served with the curry and rice, with some other accompaniments, in their own dish set upon a metal tray type thing. Is the intention that you can/should empty out your stuff onto the tray? I wasn't sure so I picked from the separate dishes which annoyed me slightly.

Maybe @hitony, @Lord Bracknell, [MENTION=12]Lady Bracknell[/MENTION], @edna krabappel, [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] or @Carrot Cruncher have a better recollection than my own.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some of the NSC mods went to Chilli Pickle on Saturday night and I was really looking forward to it. I'll be honest, my memory is somewhat vague - we ate at 9pm and after a day that included The Battle of Trafalgar, the Amex bars and The Cyclist.

I do recall some very nice cheese croquette type things as a starter, but my curry didn't seem particularly remarkable. I was somewhat confused by the way it was served with the curry and rice, with some other accompaniments, in their own dish set upon a metal tray type thing. Is the intention that you can/should empty out your stuff onto the tray? I wasn't sure so I picked from the separate dishes which annoyed me slightly.

Maybe @hitony, @Lord Bracknell, @Lady Bracknell, @edna krabappel, @Goldstone1976 or @Carrot Cruncher have a better recollection than my own.

I've found the Chilli Pickle to be rather pompous and up it's own backside. Not a place I choose to eat when I want a curry.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Maybe @hitony, @Lord Bracknell, [MENTION=12]Lady Bracknell[/MENTION], @edna krabappel, [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] or @Carrot Cruncher have a better recollection than my own.

I'm not so sure I'd go there when rattled which I would be if I'd been to the range of hostelries that you did on Saturday. This might be another way of saying that it's "rather pompous and up it's [sic] own backside" as Westdene claims. (Note my pompous/up backside intervention there.) This might be because I'm pompous and up my own backside, or it might be better to go there when sober and embrace the difference between Chilli Pickle and the identikit formula of most curry houses in Britain.
I like Indian food, and think the build-up of spicing and complexity of flavours that you get in Chilli Pickle makes it stand out from others. I also think that certain dishes -- especially their tandoori grills -- are pretty good value for money, as the portions are enormous.
How you eat the food, I can't really comment, as that sounds like etiquette, which I don't go with.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not so sure I'd go there when rattled which I would be if I'd been to the range of hostelries that you did on Saturday. This might be another way of saying that it's "rather pompous and up it's [sic] own backside" as Westdene claims. (Note my pompous/up backside intervention there.) This might be because I'm pompous and up my own backside, or it might be better to go there when sober and embrace the difference between Chilli Pickle and the identikit formula of most curry houses in Britain.
I like Indian food, and think the build-up of spicing and complexity of flavours that you get in Chilli Pickle makes it stand out from others. I also think that certain dishes -- especially their tandoori grills -- are pretty good value for money, as the portions are enormous.
How you eat the food, I can't really comment, as that sounds like etiquette, which I don't go with.

I've been to Chili Pickle, I liked it, but have to say I prefer British curry houses. Nothing to do with anything other than personal preferrence. THat said there is a lot of shit in this particular genre/market place, a lot. When it's done well little beats it though. I find a lamb dhansac is always a good test; if they can get the balance of this right then they can surely get everything else right. I also wish more restaurants would sell IPA with curry. A good well balanced hot curry and a Brewdog Punk IPA is a marriage made in heaven.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Not read any of the thread apart from what Bozza put above............I thought the food was awesome, I didn't order mine [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] ordered, but it was really nice, what did I have?? when someone tells me I will let you know! I can confirm the alcohol was extremely good as well.............

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Curry Leaf gets my vote too. Used to like Chili Pickle when they had the small place in the Lanes, but since they moved their success seems to have gone to their heads, and it's too much of a production line in my view. Same was true of the the third (mainly) South Indian place (Indian summer) -- it was amazing when it started in the tiny place near the seafront in Hove, but since moving to East Street it's pitched itself upmarket and like Chili Pickle now seems a bit pretentious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Rutz last night. It's a local restaurant which comes with a Michelin star and I have to say it was one of the best restaurants I've been to for some time. One of the paired wines didn't work for me but the rest was great with a slight emphasis on seafood which is never a bad thing. And they even had the local Schoppebrau XPA pale ale to go with the cheeses; excellent touch. Lovely and friendly staff and a sommelier who also knew his coffee and craft beer.

If you're ever here and in need of some fine dining this comes with my blessing. The restaurant is upstairs but they also have a wine bar at ground level for smaller meals.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Went to Jamie's last week - it was OK. It was a special Christmas deal and platter to start was very good as was the dessert. The main of pork belly was disappointing and the palentta (sp?) chips were utterly vile. Chips should be POTATO Jamie ! For this trip 5/10.

Sad really as I took the kids there last year for lunch and it was brilliant - they loved the menu on the viewing camera things, great idea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
image.jpgimage.jpgMmmmmmmmmmm

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How come the photos look okay on my iphone but are 90 degree on the laptop?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Dinner at the New Steine Bistro last week. Very nice. Small cosy restaurant with a small menu. Wild Boar terrine was great and so was the steak. A little expensive if you pay full whack but they are often on Groupon with a three course meal for 2 at £18 which is fantastic value.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Any recommendations in Brighton for Saturday? Going shopping late on with the missus and we want to turn it into an early dinner & some drinks. Nothing too fancy, just a decent meal.

Jul 7, 2003
Visited The Fat Greek Taverna in Worthing the other night with a mate for a bite to eat. Was a little wary as the Trip Advisor write ups were either great or terrible. It is the latest venture of the Proto group who have the Fish Factory and Food restaurants in town.

Although it is supposed to be Greek, the theme of the restaurant is hard to work out from the decor. It has a large number of plastic tables are not great and some tables are made out of old doors for some reason. The centre piece of the restaurant is their wood fired ovens and a charcoal grill - good for cooking but they leave your clothes smelling of smoke.

The food we had was okay - not bad but not great. It was served on metal trays rather than plates but the server didn't tell us it was hot so my mate burned his finger when holding the tray to cut his food. These trays soon go very cold which makes your food go cold quicker. These trays are what I would expect in an American smokehouse - they are not remotely Greek.

The service was very varied. Some of the time it was fantastic. Warmly greeted on arrival, offered complimentary drinks after our meal and sent on our way with a cheery smile and the feeling that they genuinely wanted to see you again. However, the drinks service on arrival was very slow and when we tried to pay the bill it took nearly 10 minutes for someone to come and see us. The place has a lot of promise but doesn't feel at all Greek. If they can get the service right, replace the plastic tables and the trays then it might well be a decent addition to the dining scene in Worthing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We went to The Pass - http://www.southlodgehotel.co.uk/EXCLUSIVE_HOTELS/eating_and_drinking/the_pass.aspx - a couple of weeks ago. Opted for the 10 course 'surprise' menu which, with the canapés and amuse bouche, became 12 and I also couldn't resist the freshly baked loaf with some interesting salts to accompany the butter.

It was undoubtedly the best meal we had this year, with an honourable mention to Restaurant Tristan - http://www.restauranttristan.co.uk/chef.php - just up the road a bit.

It's not cheap, you wouldn't expect it to be, but well worth it on a special occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here