Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes Applause Paul McCarthy

What is a fitting tribute to Paul McCarthy?

• Minutes applause before kick off

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Minutes applause in the 45th minute

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • Minutes silence before kick off

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The club have been in touch to say that they plan to hold a minutes applause in the 45 minute on Saturday against Reading.

I understand Wycombe and Oxford are doing similar and Ebbsfleet and Crowborough will do so before their respective games.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Despite all I've said on previous threads about not joining in any more when a minute's applause is announced as it has got ridiculous - I shall be clapping on Saturday.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The club have been in touch to say that they plan to hold a minutes applause in the 45 minute on Saturday against Reading.

I understand Wycombe and Oxford are doing similar and Ebbsfleet and Crowborough will do so before their respective games.

Good to hear. One of the few bright spots in difficult times, gone far too young. RIP

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been very anti minutes applause of late on here, but this is an occasion where I think it certainly IS actually worthy of one. A player who many of us fondly remember, who was taken tragically young in his life.

However, I think pre-kickoff would have been more appropriate. Applauding during a specific minute during a game is always vulnerable to being "hijacked" by events on the pitch.

Plus, really, I'm watching the game. I won't really be thinking about Paul. And then there's those who'll have gone for the pie and pint queues.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Especially as 10 % will have gone to beat the beer/toilet queue.
As said, before the kick off would get a better tribute to a former captain

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why can't it be done before the game ? It is a former captain and he should be given due respect
I guess having the minute in silence would be far to much to ask for.

C'est la vie, I guess clapping on 45 minutes it is then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seriously think the club should have a rethink about this.

At least when its pre-kickoff, just before the applause there can be an announcement over the tannoy explaining who the minutes applause is for, and who he was. When its just in the "heat of battle" as it were, I'm not looking at the scoreboard to check for the 45th minute, I'm wrapped up in the game.

Its well meaning I suppose, but a bit of a nonsense. Let the players gather round the centre circle, lets have the refs whistle, and lets do it properly.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

At least when its pre-kickoff, just before the applause there can be an announcement over the tannoy explaining who the minutes applause is for, and who he was. When its just in the "heat of battle" as it were, I'm not looking at the scoreboard to check for the 45th minute, I'm wrapped up in the game.

Its well meaning I suppose, but a bit of a nonsense. Let the players gather round the centre circle, lets have the refs whistle, and lets do it properly.

Quite right. Should be before kick off. Can easily knock fan zone on the head and do it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Yes agreed, this situation is certainly a one-off type of thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the feelings continue in the same vein, should we drop a note to the club or would
[MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION]

Be enough?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Got to say, I feel a minute's applause before the game is more appropriate.

It actually brings a more dedicated gesture to the proceedings rather than during the game. Imagine if Reading get a penalty on 45 minutes; or there's a sending-off. Applause on 45 minutes is a distraction for fans and players alike.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here