Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton lose 25 million 2015/2016

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm going to try and drink our way out of any trouble. Hopefully the Harveys is well stocked up on Friday night.

Don't bother. Sodexho see most of that

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
TB's total investment £252 million. £171m in loans and £81m in shares.

Club has changed it's constitution allowing the issue of an extra 100 million new shares. Conspiracy theorists may link this to TB selling part of the club to mysterious foreign owners but I strongly suspect that it is to allow Tony to convert more of his loans into shares in future years.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I could see him bringing a partner in in the future, charging them his debt to split the premiership club 50/50 and then he would likely pump a chunk of that return back in once again if it was matched. Exciting future.

Part of me would rather be that mid table, well run club though than have other people come in

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
What I find frightening is that a club (us) with one of the biggest crowds in the division and some of the highest prices is 20% over it's turnover on 'football costs' alone. I am eternally grateful to TB:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: but feel sorry for the clubs that have neither parachute payments or mega rich (sane) owners.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
What I find frightening is that a club (us) with one of the biggest crowds in the division and some of the highest prices is 20% over it's turnover on 'football costs' alone. I am eternally grateful to TB:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: but feel sorry for the clubs that have neither parachute payments or mega rich (sane) owners.

I remember when that was us. We got into the Championship and it was declared that we have to win our mini league of 4 clubs. The first season we managed it and the second we failed.

For me its about having the correct ambition for our club then trying to achieve it. It really doesn't matter what the league is.

With Tonys money being pumped into the club our ambition is rightfully getting into the Premier League. I bet if we make it, then next season it will be back to lets win that mini league of 4 teams.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Every time we don't sign a striker there are clever dicks on here suggesting we don't pay enough to be truly "going for it". I thought the picture of our losses being enough to make every Amex season ticket holder a millionaire might make it a bit easier for the hard of thinking to visualise Tony's commitment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on, but they soon moan when they have to pay a bit extra on a pint of Harvey's. We are very lucky to have Mr Bloom, without him we would not be seeing the players in a wonderful ground, let's be grateful for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
13 million permitted loss but 12 million extra loss spent on the training ground?

Bollox I am confused off to bed!:eek::dunce:

You're being persistent. Think the deal is that it's recommended that the maximum losses are £13m in a year, but losses are only calculated over a three year period, where the maximum loss is £40m. This means that you can be 'creative' with your losses during the three year period, which Tony has been.

He said very clearly at the Bristol City fans forum that holding on to players was his strategy for this season, but things will be different for next season. In other words, this season seems to be our best opportunity to get promoted.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I remember when that was us. We got into the Championship and it was declared that we have to win our mini league of 4 clubs. The first season we managed it and the second we failed.

For me its about having the correct ambition for our club then trying to achieve it. It really doesn't matter what the league is.

With Tonys money being pumped into the club our ambition is rightfully getting into the Premier League. I bet if we make it, then next season it will be back to lets win that mini league of 4 teams.

I think we're a bit better than that. Look at the dross currently at the arse end of the league. I reckon we'd be good for 13th or 14th with a few astute signings added on to our already strong defense.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
About £9m of the loss is depreciation and amortisation (£7m last year). So this isn't actual cash, it's writing down of fixed assets and player registrations. You can mess about with these figures to a certain extent (e.g. the stadium is being depreciated at 2% p.a. but it could be argued that no depreciation is necessary).

Wages & NI have increased by £7m. I can't find a detailed P&L account to see where the rest of the increase in costs has come from but these two areas cover most of it (+£9m).

It's interesting that the player reg amortisation has only increased by £1.4m but the net book value of player reg's is up to £8.2m from £2.9m. Be interested to see how this compares to the likes of Derby.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
the stadium is being depreciated at 2% p.a. but it could be argued that no depreciation is necessary).

Appreciate you have put the 'could' in brackets and it's not necessarily your viewpoint, but there's no way IMO that such an argument has any validity.

I'm currently crunching my way through the data, and hope to knock out a full analysis in the next few days.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Appreciate you have put the 'could' in brackets and it's not necessarily your viewpoint, but there's no way IMO that such an argument has any validity.

I'm currently crunching my way through the data, and hope to knock out a full analysis in the next few days.

Yes I knew someone would pick up on that. I'm sure someone could come up with a creative argument but you're probably right. :p

Was just pointing out that the £25m loss isn't as simple as "we've spent and extra £15m on wages".

Look forward to your analysis.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Pogba on £290k a week and now Ozil and Sanchez, who earn £160k a week want parity with Pogba's wages or close to it or they'll be leaving Arsenal.. £160k a week not enough to live on eh chaps, short career and all that. Fing hell. Where will it end? Football WILL eat itself.
One of the things maybe will be if we stop talking about players salaries in terms of 'thousands' as it makes it seems less than it is. After all, we talk about our own salaries in thousands. Pogba is on a five year deal so he is actually being paid over SEVENTY FIVE MILLION pounds. Even his annual salary is over fifteen million pounds. That's ONE player!

Joe Root on the other hand 'only' earns about 20k a week, but it was reported as a 'million pound deal'.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One of the things maybe will be if we stop talking about players salaries in terms of 'thousands' as it makes it seems less than it is. After all, we talk about our own salaries in thousands. Pogba is on a five year deal so he is actually being paid over SEVENTY FIVE MILLION pounds. Even his annual salary is over fifteen million pounds. That's ONE player!

Joe Root on the other hand 'only' earns about 20k a week, but it was reported as a 'million pound deal'.

75 million pounds to play football? Madness.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Don't bother. Sodexho see most of that

I have always taken the view that my beers before and after the match plus pie etc helps the club, as I recall Paul Barber saying that very pint will swell the coffers. Obviously Sodexho will have their share, and probably the lion's share, but at least it will presumably help the club. Do any sages know what percentage the club gets for the concession? Or if not exactly, what is the likely rate that such a contract would generate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After that will you be going through the financial report?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have always taken the view that my beers before and after the match plus pie etc helps the club, as I recall Paul Barber saying that very pint will swell the coffers. Obviously Sodexho will have their share, and probably the lion's share, but at least it will presumably help the club. Do any sages know what percentage the club gets for the concession? Or if not exactly, what is the likely rate that such a contract would generate.
They do help, but I think only once Sodexo has made a certain agreed amount. Once that threshold has been passed then both the club and Sodexo share the beer and pie money. I think.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You're being persistent. Think the deal is that it's recommended that the maximum losses are £13m in a year, but losses are only calculated over a three year period, where the maximum loss is £40m. This means that you can be 'creative' with your losses during the three year period, which Tony has been.

He said very clearly at the Bristol City fans forum that holding on to players was his strategy for this season, but things will be different for next season. In other words, this season seems to be our best opportunity to get promoted.
Calculating the losses over 3 years only started this season. For last season's accounts, the permitted FFP losses were 13m. So there must be 12-13m on stuff that doesn't count for FFP like depreciation of the stadium and lancing, and the cost of running a Cat 1 academy.

I wonder how rich Tony Bloom is these days. Articles I've read about Star Lizard suggest that he's a billionaire, which is believable judging by the money he's put in to BHA with fairly low chances of a return.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here