Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just goes to show. Your form dips and your dropped from the starting line up. In fairness to Tony he has mitigating circumstances recently for a slight drop from his high standards
Highly doubt that's the reason why as skalak has been gash many times and starts a lot:wink:
When skalaks plays bad which is often it's like playing with 10 men:lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Highly doubt that's the reason why as skalak has been gash many times and starts a lot:wink:

You don't not to convince me of those facts, I am not the biggest fan of Skalak but I think most people would agree that he often retains his place because of his potential from set pieces and even they have been less prolific this season thus far.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Yeah. Skalak's rubbish, FFS.

5vqirp.jpg

Was it the Norwich game where he crossed it with his left too with pin-point accuracy for a Brighton goal? Not bad for a rubbish right-footed player. Give me a slow winger who can deliver a final ball over a super-fast player with no end product any day of the week.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You just cannot bet against Skalak coming up with a world class cross at some point during a game, that's why he's in the team.

Agreed. We've had this debate lots of times before but how many fast wingers have we had over the years and how many have been able regularly to deliver crosses into the box? Players like Skalak have been few and far between at our club. He should be cherished not criticised.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016

Skalak only plays because he can cross and take corners. He can't tackle, take people on, head the ball. He doesn't offer us anything.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Skalak only plays because he can cross and take corners. He can't tackle, take people on, head the ball. He doesn't offer us anything.
I'm with you and would prefer a marauding Murphy who actually can score as well....Also away from home you need good outlets to take away the pressure like Bristol city away and skalak will mostly be near the halfway line falling over looking for a free kick.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Agreed. We've had this debate lots of times before but how many fast wingers have we had over the years and how many have been able regularly to deliver crosses into the box? Players like Skalak have been few and far between at our club. He should be cherished not criticised.

If I remember rightly wasn't the only goal in the abysmal defeat at Cardiff, from Skalak?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm with you and would prefer a marauding Murphy who actually can score as well....Also away from home you need good outlets to take away the pressure like Bristol city away and skalak will mostly be near the halfway line falling over looking for a free kick.

They're both playing.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah, I think that's a bit of a fallacy or you're fishing.

35 in 70 appearances.

This may dispel the 'home only' thought.

http://greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-season.asp?years=1978-1979

Edit: That wasn't actually Brighton stats, my bad. But he did score away goals for us, I'll try and find a link.

There we go...

fredbinney.jpg

Through doing The Goldstone Wrap blog, I've been contacted by Fred Binney's son Adam over the past week. As many of you know, Fred was the Brighton team's goal poacher supreme in the mid-1970s, hitting 23 League goals in 1975/76 (all but five at the Goldstone) before losing his place to the Ward-Mellor partnership the following season.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Except the goals he provides...

I can't believe we're having this debate. Goals win matches, you can beat players all day (Noone, CMS, Buckley, KLL and on and on) but if you do nothing with that then it's pointless. We have lots of players who can do the tackling, the taking people on, the heading. Skalak's role is to provide crosses for forwards and he is one of the best in the league at that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here