Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holiday rush

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Driving across Death Valley was one of lifes pleasures. Driving to Brittany was my idea of hell. There was an average 3 mile tail back at each toll road.

Portugal this year. 20 mins to the airport either end with a negligible price uplift. With 2 kids, lengthy drives in crap traffic are just no fun.

Agreed but having driven in France several dozen times without any trouble over the years, often during school holidays, with no issues, you must've been very unlucky.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agreed but having driven in France several dozen times without any trouble over the years, often during school holidays, with no issues, you must've been very unlucky.

The tailbacks were caused by fukwittery at the toll booths. Simply cash in the card lane. Card in the cash lane. Right hand drive not being able to get to the other side of the car and put cash where it needed to go. With very few staff on, this snowballed with holiday traffic. With a few more staff on, this would have been resolved straightforwardly.

I was reminded of this during my recent visit to France for the euros where there was a lack of information and organisation. Taking Lille for example, there were too few staff checking bags on entry to the game causing a huge backlog of people outside the ground. Irony being that any terrorist could have killed a multitude of people in that queue as opposed to inside the ground given the volume of people waiting to get in. Every time I visit France, something or other gets on my nerves in terms of organisation of which there appears to be little.

I'm not patient enough for another visit in the near future.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Our favourite destination over the last few years is Yorkshire. One day I'll tie in a match up there too. The best UK destination by far, for us anyway.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Not worth the money IMHO, unless you drive over there a lot. Just stick your credit card in the slot.

It's less about the money, and more about the convenience. But each to their own.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Driving across Death Valley was one of lifes pleasures.

When you say "was", I am hoping you meant "is"? I am driving it in a few weeks.[emoji41]

As for driving in France, I have never had issues on toll roads, always been good and worth the money.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
I have never been across to France by car ferry or the tunnel. I never will; just seems like a hellish experience to me, at any time.
You are missing out. May, June are the best times. Numerous journeys down to spain with no jams/delays. As previous posters say, N routes, D routes can be brilliant, amazing straight roads which are mostly empty.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here