Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
No pressure then! :lolol:

Sub 3:15 is my primary target, for that all-important good for age London Marathon qualification. Anything less than that is a bonus (and yes, I know the predictor thingies have me down as a sub 3:00 based on my half marathon time, but frankly I think that is wildly optimistic having put in a few longer runs now).

Having said that, I put in a 10 miler yesterday at the lower end of my target pace range and was perfectly comfortable. So we'll see how I go after a nice taper.

My watch "race predictor" keeps telling me I'm going to run a c.3hr marathon. Today it says 3:00:04, and at one point it had 2:53. That's incredibly optimistic!

I'm also aiming for a sub 3:15. If you guys all smash it in a couple of weeks, the pressure will be on me to keep up in May.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not concerned about the lack of faith in me going into the Marathon - [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is known to be the "you can't do this, man!" type of inspirational coach and I know he's trying to inspire me to give him a "silence" gesture at the end. :thumbsup:

My groin isn't right so a spell on the sidelines will follow the marathon, it doesn't stop me running but it's something I need to be aware of and I won't be overdoing it in training over the next 13 days. I'll deliver myself ready for the off and to hell with the consequences!

Also, just as an aside, the Douglas promenade 5k I ran on sunday - the top 18 runners all ran sub 16 minutes. Can you imagine running that time and being so heavily beaten?! Sub 17 was required for a top 50 finish, sub 18 to be in the top 69 and sub 19 got you 92nd. Incredible pace! I managed 105th in 19:45 (chip time 19:38). I was expecting there to be a step up in class, but that's mental.

http://my5.raceresult.com/72034/results?lang=en#1_3A29DC

Blimey, a sub 20 wouldn't have even got you close to the top half. Hardly parkrun is it :laugh:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What a curious injury I've got. Promised I'd help my cousin with a run today and so I set out heavily strapped and the first few steps weren't great. Slowly but surely just as Jesus said slow running will help. Got around 4 miles in at 9 minute mile pace and I was running without any major discomfort.

I really need to keep at this pace for a little longer to heal up properly.

I think the BM 10k may be a little too soon as I won't be able to control my pace in a competitive environment. Thinking more now that I'd be better off running the full marathon and using it as a glorified long run and pull out when my body tells me to.

So if anyone wants to swap a marathon for a 10k place let me know.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm not concerned about the lack of faith in me going into the Marathon - [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] is known to be the "you can't do this, man!" type of inspirational coach and I know he's trying to inspire me to give him a "silence" gesture at the end. :thumbsup:

My groin isn't right so a spell on the sidelines will follow the marathon, it doesn't stop me running but it's something I need to be aware of and I won't be overdoing it in training over the next 13 days. I'll deliver myself ready for the off and to hell with the consequences!

Also, just as an aside, the Douglas promenade 5k I ran on sunday - the top 18 runners all ran sub 16 minutes. Can you imagine running that time and being so heavily beaten?! Sub 17 was required for a top 50 finish, sub 18 to be in the top 69 and sub 19 got you 92nd. Incredible pace! I managed 105th in 19:45 (chip time 19:38). I was expecting there to be a step up in class, but that's mental.

http://my5.raceresult.com/72034/results?lang=en#1_3A29DC

Glad to see I've fired you up. Nothing personal Ninja. Just based on my betting instincts. Remember we disagreed on my £20 at 11-2 bet on Southampton being relegated. :lolol:
Don't wait too long to give me the fingers at the end as you'll get cold hanging around for over an hour.

Great running in the Isle of Man. Not a weekend for casual runners. Not sure if it's shortened or lengthened your race day odds.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Glad to see I've fired you up. Nothing personal Ninja. Just based on my betting instincts. Remember we disagreed on my £20 at 11-2 bet on Southampton being relegated. :lolol:
Don't wait too long to give me the fingers at the end as you'll get cold hanging around for over an hour.

Great running in the Isle of Man. Not a weekend for casual runners. Not sure if it's shortened or lengthened your race day odds.

True, but I would be cashing that out so hard! Huddersfield have declared for the season and will be joining Stoke and West Brom in the Championship next season!

I would say it's lengthened my odds because although I was able to hold off the sprint finishers trying to take my places, I wasn't competitive at all in any of the 4 races. I am concerned, but not alarmed. I believe I am in with a chance of taking the NSC Gold but I am respectful of the other athletes! I look forward to the pre-race mindgames.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm going to focus on sub 3:05 first anything under that being a bonus. Going to run 7 min miles until I turn the Power Station corner and see what I have left.

My only concern is that I haven't run regularly enough at marathon pace and I skipped a few interval/speed sessions due to hating them.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm going to focus on sub 3:05 first anything under that being a bonus. Going to run 7 min miles until I turn the Power Station corner and see what I have left.

My only concern is that I haven't run regularly enough at marathon pace and I skipped a few interval/speed sessions due to hating them.

I read the Runners World article comparing the training schemes of marathon runners and they found that the majority of people who ran under their target time in preparation actually had a better hit rate of being able to run their goal time in the race. I wouldn't be too alarmed about not running at your goal time, the day is what matters.

Massive congratulations on your 5k time from last week, enjoy your spell at the top of the table because after this marathon is out of the way, you're there to be shot at. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Possibly overloading your plan there ?? A 20 miler would normally have a rest or at worst recovery day - so a gentle 4 miles (?) but not 9 miles of intervals..........then another 9 miles the following day.

Agree. I can’t run this weekend so I decided to bring everything forward and do my long run on Friday night; I needed to double up to do this though.... my IT band above my knee is very painful now. Some rolling and stretching tonight.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I read the Runners World article comparing the training schemes of marathon runners and they found that the majority of people who ran under their target time in preparation actually had a better hit rate of being able to run their goal time in the race. I wouldn't be too alarmed about not running at your goal time, the day is what matters.

Massive congratulations on your 5k time from last week, enjoy your spell at the top of the table because after this marathon is out of the way, you're there to be shot at. :thumbsup:

We should have a face-off at Hove Prom :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We are going to have some serious strength in depth for the Weakest Link if we get the majority of the Nsc leaderboard to run.

From memory we’ve 6 sub 19 5k runners and the likes of Phoenix and Arena had better be ready for this summers showdown.

Certainly getting a good number of NSC sub 19s this year with new sub 18s predicted post BM.

Bear in mind that Arena 80 try to split teams evenly by sharing out runners in time order to create a close inter club competition. Phoenix, as you say, have elite teams for our Super Egos to prove themselves against.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did the flossing stretches yesterday. I’ll never know if it was coincidental but yesterday it was painful walking down stairs but this morning there’s no pain at all. Will be attempting a short jog tomorrow if it carries on being ok today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vested interest in your pain. Is it better?

If you or anyone else has booked in Paul Godley and wants to cancel i'll take it. He's booked till next Friday and Mrs K has knee problems.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
For those interested in the Barkley Marathons here is a really good report from a first timer.

http://www.ameliabooneracing.com/blog/ultramarathons/barkley2018/

It seems the weather made it beyond brutal this year. The two guys from Scotland and Ireland (broken collar bone) did really well. Here's a great video from elite ultra trail runner and Barkley veteran Jamil Coury capturing his attempt this year, his 4th go at it. He met up with Amelia Boone's group on loop 2.

The Year The Barkley Won | 2018 Barkley Marathons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc

Highly recommend checking out the 2014 Netflix documentary film The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young for those that haven't seen it yet.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Totally agree - I find weekly volume (at an easy pace) reaps greater benefits than doing too much at marathon pace. I sometimes throw in some MP in a few of my longer runs but it's only a % of the run. Middle 3-4 miles or final 3-4 miles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Vested interest in your pain. Is it better?

If you or anyone else has booked in Paul Godley and wants to cancel i'll take it. He's booked till next Friday and Mrs K has knee problems.

No, I’m at an absolute crossroads. Four mile fitness test this morning. No pain for first slow two miles. Cranked it up to 8.45 m/m and the back of my right leg was tight by the end of the mile and still tight now. Jog / walked the last mile home. Phoned Paul’s number immediately to be told the same as you.

I am 50/50 for BM10k. I was going to test my pace at parkrun this weekend but doubt I’ll run again before the big day. Calling an osteopath friend tomorrow if it’s the same.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
It seems the weather made it beyond brutal this year. The two guys from Scotland and Ireland (broken collar bone) did really well. Here's a great video from elite ultra trail runner and Barkley veteran Jamil Coury capturing his attempt this year, his 4th go at it. He met up with Amelia Boone's group on loop 2.

The Year The Barkley Won | 2018 Barkley Marathons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc

Highly recommend checking out the 2014 Netflix documentary film The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young for those that haven't seen it yet.

Thanks I enjoyed that. Stupid for the sake of being stupid ��.

Are you running BM a week Sunday. And if so what’s your target time. Are you on the sub 3 train?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks I enjoyed that. Stupid for the sake of being stupid ��.

Are you running BM a week Sunday. And if so what’s your target time. Are you on the sub 3 train?

The Barkley is truly brutal.
Unfortunately I'm not running BM this year. Loved it last year. I'm keen to get a marathon in this Autumn but the main goal is to be fit and ready to go sub 3 at London 2019. I'm on a 12+ month training cycle :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No, I’m at an absolute crossroads. Four mile fitness test this morning. No pain for first slow two miles. Cranked it up to 8.45 m/m and the back of my right leg was tight by the end of the mile and still tight now. Jog / walked the last mile home. Phoned Paul’s number immediately to be told the same as you.

I am 50/50 for BM10k. I was going to test my pace at parkrun this weekend but doubt I’ll run again before the big day. Calling an osteopath friend tomorrow if it’s the same.

Thanks. Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here