Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think Tony and Barber maybe thinking they've made a mistake..........

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Whether CMS and Baldock actually score 10-league goals between them this season is highly questionable, a remedy will need to be found and can see movement out as well as in in January trying to rectify this

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
But we seem to be overrun with support players 'who might chip in with a few'. Tex, Colunga, Lua Lua, Paddy Mac, March (when fit), Stephens (when fit), Crofts, Dunk (!), are all capable of making a contribution, as would Barnes no doubt.

But let's face it, we need a 25-goal striker if we are serious about mounting a promotion challenge. And based on previous form, that man's never going to be Ashley Barnes.

What I meant was Barnes had a good goal return in a supporting role, I'd like to see him played as a striker in his own right, not in some hybrid position.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think the only mistake at the moment is not securing the services of a decent goal scorer. Too many games we are not punishing the opposition, we've got a decent defence, decent midfield but sod all in terms of a goal threat. I really do believe a solid striker would see us shoot up the table.

Well where do you think the buck stops?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Not at all. Think you misunderstood my post. My fault. I'm a total realist when it comes to signing a striker capable of this return.

But you have to face facts; Ings, Nugent and Vokes all scored 20 or more goals last season, while Charlie Austin bagged 19 for QPR.

In reply to some claiming Barnes is the answer, I was merely pointing out that he's unlikely to be the man to deliver anything like 20-plus goals - and that's the kind of return we will need for promotion.

I wasn't suggesting these golden boot strikers are easy to snap up. Quite the contrary.
Barnes would struggle to score 20 in league 1 again even with 8 penalties:)
Nobody knows how a striker will do in this division wether it's 500k or £6 million...loads of experienced strikers in this league who're firing blanks,you're not guaranteed goals from any striker end of.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
How many minutes has Baldock had on the pitch. He is being written off very early. I agree that CMS does not look up to it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unfortunately, we really did slip up when we didn't go that bit further with Lewis Grabban. We (totally in retrospect I confess) should have made him an offer he couldn't refuse. And though I'm a huge fan of Mr Bloom, IMO his weakness is he does want everything at less price than it's worth. And sometimes as with the Grabban issue we lose out. That said I'm confident we will be up there in May ... somewhere near the top. :)

He would still have left at the end of the season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
50% penalties yeah...People need to realise this fact

With respect, you still think CMS is a quality striker (snigger), add to the fact you've probably only seen Barnes play a handful of times, and probably never watched him in League One as you went to Withdean ONCE, I'd say it's safe to dismiss your opinion. Cheers :thumbsup:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What I meant was Barnes had a good goal return in a supporting role, I'd like to see him played as a striker in his own right, not in some hybrid position.

He was main striker for about 14-15 games last year when Ulloa was suspended for 3 games and then injured for 12 weeks. He got 3 goals from open play and 2 pens - not a great record, although the goal against Bournemouth was very good.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was main striker for about 14-15 games last year when Ulloa was suspended for 3 games and then injured for 12 weeks. He got 3 goals from open play and 2 pens - not a great record, although the goal against Bournemouth was very good.

Barnes was playing a role he wasn't used to, and was improving all the time. His match ratings were generally going up as he got better in that lone striker role, and his improvement is evidenced by those goals coming towards the end of that run in as he grew familiar with the role. Between Ulloa getting sent off v Reading, and returning v Charlton, Barnes played the lone striker role 14 times. He got no goals in the first 8 and three open play goals in the last 6. Ulloa returned and Barnes was in and out of the team for the next four games before being sold.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Another few games without a win the season being a relegation battle surely bloom will have to do something

Lose on Tuesday and again at home against Rotherham and I think you will see some action. As as someone said on SCR tonight you can't ask people to pay prices on the concourses and deliver crap on the pitch as well. The Amex in league 1 is unthinkable and will be unacceptable to Tony Bloom.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
May just be thinking that Sami is not the right man to take us forward we are virtually 1/4 way through season now and its looking like a relegation scrap the way things are going.....2 wins in 11 is poor to say the least and with crowds already falling I reckon panic could set in!!!!!

The board of directors cannot sell or give away our best players and spend peanuts on replacements year in year, out and then continually blame the managers for not winning games, the bargain basement players we have are not good enough, not there fault ,the clubs for penny pinching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here