Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will Brighton be a bigger club than Palace

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What's the grading criteria?? It could be based on any of the following...

Current league position? - Palace
History of playing in top devision? - Palace
Current playing Squad? - Palace
Past players / legends? - about equal
'Home grown galant' - Palace
Fan passion - about equal
Competitiveness in cup competitions? - about equal
Stadium? - Brighton
Training facilities? - Brighton
Resilience? - Brighton
Future prospects, hard to judge, but looks most likely to be - Brighton
Local catchment area to attract fans - Brighton

The parts of Sussex that would form our catchment area are larger than that of Crystal Palace, but not remotely as dense in population. Croydon alone accounts for a population around 20-25% the size of both the Sussex partitions combined. That's before you consider South-East London and encroachments beyond.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
who cares who is the biggest club

the important thing is, we have always and will always forever ooze class.

that lot from South London have always been pond life.

We have always been and will continue to be far superior to a bunch of unpickedup park turd!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It pains me to say when I take off my blue and white spectacles I'm afraid IT has to be Palace. The ground counts for nothing at the moment they as someone has already said eating at the top table and because of that have more funds available and it will continue even when they get relegated they will have parachute payments. They have also been in the top tier on more occasions than us, their atmosphere at home seems to better ours on occasions. We had our chance to put the ghost to bed, however Poyet blew it and I will never forgive him for that final game in charge if he actually even bothered.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
You'll always be little old Brighton to me.
It's great to see you getting all excited about WHEN you get to the PL, but the reality is if TB will not fund a promotion challenge, you will struggle to achieve your dreams.
You missed the boat 2 years ago , after the Selhurst 0-0 , most of you thought it was a formality.
Your debts will be the noose that will eventually strangle you, TB will not continue to fund a multi million pound loss making company.
It makes me chuckle when you whine about clubs getting parachute payments and gaining an unfair advantage, when the truth is that TB's £200 mill and rising parachute payment has given you the bigger advantage.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Why are Palace so bothered about us? You're in the PL, let it go. Enjoy the best league in the world. Great fans too, love those Ultras.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
In my view, we are some way behind. We have lost a generation of fans in the Gillingham/Withdean years and whilst the infrastructure is great and premier league football will help, it's still fanbase and trophies which determine the bigger club. On both counts, we are lagging behind. Let's see again in 10 years.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Why does it matter ? Surely it is about supporting your club, no matter what ?, all I know is that we are building an infrastructure for the future that will superb for us fans. I personally don't care about the premiership, it brings pressures on finances and although prem clubs get more money in, where does it go to ? The players, a lot of the yo yo clubs are no better off than us as the money they earn is not spend on their future, it goes to players and owners. Look at Bolton, Fulham, QPR, Wolves etc, all
Had vast amounts on money from Sky and are they in a better position than us ? Probably not. It s not about being bigger, richer, it's about having a club to support on a Saturday afternoon and stop comparing to others, it does not matter.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
A Palce fan I know said it will never happen. Does the infrastructure being put in place mean anything in the long run or not ? It's not the be all and end I all appreciate but what does the future hold in terms of comparison .

You only have to look at our league position and then compare it to Southamptons to realize infrastructure means **** all, keeping your best players is a good way to get promotion though, even if they do want a pay rise

Dec 3, 2012
Its simple IMO. Brighton can only lay claim to being a bigger club than Palace when they play in a higher division. Something that hasnt happened for about 30 years.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In my view, we are some way behind. We have lost a generation of fans in the Gillingham/Withdean years and whilst the infrastructure is great and premier league football will help, it's still fanbase and trophies which determine the bigger club. On both counts, we are lagging behind. Let's see again in 10 years.

How much would you like to wager on Palace winning more trophies in the last dozen years, having more ST holders, having higher attendances for most recent season or higher match day revenues? Current league position is irrelevant and temporary, since the day we moved into the Amex we have now have clear water over them, and happily will for ever. Thank you Tony

Dec 3, 2012
How much would you like to wager on Palace winning more trophies in the last dozen years, having more ST holders, having higher attendances for most recent season or higher match day revenues? Current league position is irrelevant and temporary, since the day we moved into the Amex we have now have clear water over them, and happily will for ever. Thank you Tony

Do you really believe this?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Once we get to the Prem I think we're far more set up to stay there than Palace.

A lot of assumptions there . Ok you've got a shiny new stadium and training ground , does that mean if you get there you will stay there ? We will always be the underdogs in that league and to stay up is a major achievement , we threived on it . But some of you still can't shake off that bit of arrogance that you will and should be there ! I really don't get it .

A lot of assumptions there . Ok you've got a shiny new stadium and training ground , does that mean if you get there you will stay there ? We will always be the underdogs in that league and to stay up is a major achievement , we threived on it . But some of you still can't shake off that bit of arrogance that you will and should be there ! I really don't get it .

Neither do I.

You earned it, we didn't.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm not sure if you missed my point or not?

Who are the bigger club - Leicester or Leeds?

Who are the bigger club - Burnley or Birmingham?

(neither question involve us)
I guess my point was that until we've actually made it to the PL I find this topic a bit of a moot point. If we go up and can consolidate our position then I think we have grounds for a case, but until then we don't have much to shout about other than spending Bloom's money and having some flash new toys. This seems to have given many of our supporters a sense of entitlement which ,in my opinion, is misplaced.

Leeds are definitely bigger than Leicester.

Can't decide between Brum and Burnleh.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The parts of Sussex that would form our catchment area are larger than that of Crystal Palace, but not remotely as dense in population. Croydon alone accounts for a population around 20-25% the size of both the Sussex partitions combined. That's before you consider South-East London and encroachments beyond.

Our area has a greater population. Our area has less competition (rival teams). Ergo, more opputinity for Brighton.

Dec 3, 2012

I think its important to recap on how things have worked historically.

Success on the pitch means a bigger fanbase which leads to a bigger stadium. Brighton are trying to reverse this. The stadium hasnt been earned its been donated.

Also unfortunately its not just current league position that we should consider. In this case Palace have held the upper hand for 30 odd years.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess my point was that until we've actually made it to the PL I find this topic a bit of a moot point. If we go up and can consolidate our position then I think we have grounds for a case, but until then we don't have much to shout about other than spending Bloom's money and having some flash new toys. This seems to have given many of our supporters a sense of entitlement which ,in my opinion, is misplaced.

Leeds are definitely bigger than Leicester.

But Leicester have made it to the PM and Leeds haven't (for ages)...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here