Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Final nail in the coffin for “I can’t get away tickets”

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Whether they get 50 points now or later doesn’t make any difference - the all season ticket holder tier is higher than the member tier.

Suppose I don’t renew my ST next year - I will drop from the top tier to below a brand new STH who may only have ever been to a handful of games. I’d still be a tier below them even if I actually went to more home games than they did.

The current scheme just appears unnecessarily complicated and with a number of flaws.

We were told last year, it was designed by Tony Bloom himself.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Whether they get 50 points now or later doesn’t make any difference - the all season ticket holder tier is higher than the member tier.

Suppose I don’t renew my ST next year - I will drop from the top tier to below a brand new STH who may only have ever been to a handful of games. I’d still be a tier below them even if I actually went to more home games than they did.

The current scheme just appears unnecessarily complicated and with a number of flaws.

Yep - I agree with the first two paragraphs.

The third? I’ve not seen a suggestion that is any better. I think any scheme will have flaws; the current one has allowed any member to get a ticket to see Liverpool away in our second season (and will probably extend the same right to those who have made a single prior purchase). I’m not sure that any other scheme would do better.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

It rewards loyalty so what is not to like ?

What the club cannot cope with is if circumstances change for periods of time like having to work away or going to University which I think needs to be addressed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think most folk accept that there has to be a pecking order. Last season there was a handful of games I wanted to go to but because I was not an STH, for good reason, it wasn't possible. I bemoaned that but knew the system was mostly fair. It's just the way it is.

There were, I think, four games I was eligible for. Three of them I didn't attend for pretty much the same reason as regulars. I went to Stoke City and had a pleasant day out.

As for Liverpool. I can't get back that day and the timing isn't right.

Years ago I was one of those who went home and away despite the team's position or league. I've been to Hartlepool twice but never to Arsenal. I'm the original un-glory hunter.

It would be nice to see a few Premier League away games and I suspect as the novelty wears off for some that opportunity will arise. As I may be moving north soon it becomes more likely anyway. I'll just get tickets for the home ends and probably not be questioned. That one is another debate.

My dig was not directed at you - apologies if you interpreted it that way.

I think that we are already seeing demand start to diminish. I expect that trend to continue.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Complicated?

Its just basic maths where you don't even need a spread sheet to work it out.

In old language its probably CSE grade 5

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What the club cannot cope with is if circumstances change for periods of time like having to work away or going to University which I think needs to be addressed.

The trouble with this is that there will be no end of circumstances affecting individuals. The only one I would have any sympathy with is if someone is suffering from serious illness that prevents them travelling. (maybe in those circumstances the club could put loyalty points on hold, ie don't halve them at the end of the season for example). Going to uni is a choice as is moving away with your work. Life choices that have benefits and disadvantages. As an individual you weigh up the pros and cons.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's a concern certainly. I worry mostly that he won't catch up with me.

I go to home games with a big group but always travel with my son, a good mate who lives round the corner and his son. We're all very close. In the Hyypia / Hughton season they were 8 and we took them to Charlton in January and they absolutely loved it. We took them to Fulham at the start of the following season and also the New Year Fulham game where we came from behind to win 2-1 so they've done three really decent aways which we've won, all legitimately. But there were a few games in those seasons that were eitther mid week aways or a long way away that just me and my mate did as an adult day on the beer.

We realised this would be an issue when the adults could get Middlesboro tickets but the boys couldn't. We might have sneaked returns for them at the end but it would have been a scramble, their train tickets would have been more expensive and their legitimate seats would have been in a totally different block. For QPR we were ok and they weren't.

Last season even my points were right on the edge. We were the corporate guest of a friend a couple of times and went in the home end once but again that was just the adults. In doing so I saw some games I wanted to see but didn't get the points for them.

It may be as they grow older that others drop out and more games become STH only. It may be that we have to start them back off on aways with something like Wolves away on a Tuesday just to get points. But the thing is the three aways they've done legitmately - Charlton and Fulham twice - all sold out to Brighton. They just seemed to sell out in a much different way. Maybe we've just got a whole load more really loyal fans as we've become "good" :shrug:

I have some sympathy with your feelings on this. My kids were season ticket holders at Gillingham and Withdean at that age. Away tickets were generally plentiful and we have fond memories of family days out at the likes of Torquay Hartlepool, Halifax (the postponed game !),Shrewsbury,Leyton Orient and many others. My kids were very lucky but what they didn't have is world class players to watch at home games. Your son gets to see the Albion take on teams containing superstars like Hazard and Salah. The Albion have the best team we have ever had and he gets to watch live every fortnight. It's swings and roundabouts. Tickets have to be rationed when times are good and it is inevitable that the hurdle for being eligible is going to rise so you will just have to take your son further afield. Our kids travelled the length and breadth of the country when younger than yours and there weren't loyalty point rewards to be had. Not unfair, it just is what it is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have some sympathy with your feelings on this. My kids were season ticket holders at Gillingham and Withdean at that age. Away tickets were generally plentiful and we have fond memories of family days out at the likes of Torquay Hartlepool, Halifax (the postponed game !),Shrewsbury,Leyton Orient and many others. My kids were very lucky but what they didn't have is world class players to watch at home games. Your son gets to see the Albion take on teams containing superstars like Hazard and Salah. The Albion have the best team we have ever had and he gets to watch live every fortnight. It's swings and roundabouts. Tickets have to be rationed when times are good and it is inevitable that the hurdle for being eligible is going to rise so you will just have to take your son further afield. Our kids travelled the length and breadth of the country when younger than yours and there weren't loyalty point rewards to be had. Not unfair, it just is what it is.

I don’t think the system is inherently unfair. It’s just that, as with home ticket pricing, it benefits the older male with nothing better to do. When all us 40 & 50 somethings are in our dotage I hope today’s youngsters still want to take our places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We missed one season so went back to no loyalty points etc
I still managed Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City , Swansea, Watford,Everton away as there are means and ways and it did involve sitting with the opposing fans on a few occasions
This season we are only going to do away games where we sit sit with Albion fans

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t think the system is inherently unfair. It’s just that, as with home ticket pricing, it benefits the older male with nothing better to do. When all us 40 & 50 somethings are in our dotage I hope today’s youngsters still want to take our places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the numbers of kids I see at home games and wearing Albion shirts around Sussex I don't think we have anything to worry about in this regard. Indeed the number of kids/families following the Albion seems to be at unprecedented levels. The older, male demographic you describe was far more apparent in the old days.This is more about your (understandable) wish to have away days out with your son. It can be done but you won't necessarily get your first choice match because demand exceeds supply. My kids were excited about going to Hartlepool etc so I reckon yours will be just as keen to go to any Premier League ground as what is important is that it is a day out with Mum and/or Dad at the football.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Complicated?

Its just basic maths where you don't even need a spread sheet to work it out.

In old language its probably CSE grade 5

Ok - complicated might be a bit of a hyperbole but the scheme is in my opinion more complex than it needs to be.

I don’t see the necessity to have two sets of points - one for STHs and one for ‘members’ who are treated like second class fans when it comes to qualifying to buy an away ticket.

If all fans received the same loyalty points for attending home and away games with 50% of points carried forward to the following season then it would make little or no difference to those in the higher tiers. What it would do is allow those without a ST to ‘compete’ for away games with new STHs. This strikes me as being simpler and more transparent than the current system

At the moment someone with a ST can put their ticket onto the ticket exchange without ‘penalty’. They can choose not to attend a home game without ‘penalty’. It would be very simple to award points based on attendance for home games.

I missed the majority of home games the season before last due to heart problems but because I renewed my season ticket anyway my points tally didn’t suffer - doesn’t seem right somehow.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

And yet to my point that in three days the tickets might be sold you point out, barely half a day into the three, that there were still tickets available.

Huh? A Bronze membership costs £22 for a year. If someone who professes that they wish to go to away games cba to buy one, I call BS.

And? ITV sport failed because no one wanted to pay for the opportunity to pay for games. It's a model not enough people want to buy into. If we're already paying high charges to watch the game, some people think it is flat out wrong to charge merely for the opportunity to spend more money buying the match ticket.

The cost of football is already a common debate throughout the game, tickets alone are out of reach for a lot of people. Acting as if adding in more charges is all fine and dandy and fans who are unable to pay that extra should shut up is very short sighted, very 'I'm alright, Jack'.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
And yet to my point that in three days the tickets might be sold you point out, barely half a day into the three, that there were still tickets available.

And? ITV sport failed because no one wanted to pay for the opportunity to pay for games. It's a model not enough people want to buy into. If we're already paying high charges to watch the game, some people think it is flat out wrong to charge merely for the opportunity to spend more money buying the match ticket.

The cost of football is already a common debate throughout the game, tickets alone are out of reach for a lot of people. Acting as if adding in more charges is all fine and dandy and fans who are unable to pay that extra should shut up is very short sighted, very 'I'm alright, Jack'.

And... that’s fine, of course, but don’t say that “I can’t get an away ticket”; say instead “I choose not to buy an away ticket” or “I can’t afford an away ticket”.

The people I’m criticising are the ones who say the former, and not either of the latter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You can argue about the cost of football but the fact is that most stadiums in the Premier League are full. There are plenty of things that you have to make choices for regarding cost. That said, with regard to the cost of bronze membership perhaps the cost should only reflect the admin costs for the club to run that element of the scheme.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Imagine my delight at securing away tickets for the Liverpool game and then to be reminded that eldest Son has an important match that day, 3 p.m. KO, and my Wife & I are in the Dragon Boat Race at The Arundel Festival! Doh!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've sat in some extremely nice home fans seating areas wearing Brighton blue and white at an away match many a time.

If you are not a hooligan most will accept you as a fellow football fan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here