Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC SF2 Croatia v England

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’m not quite sure why Stones gets the blame for that. It’s a freak header into that zone. But Mandzukic is behind Stones and in front of Maguire... why was Maguire around the back covering him? I mean Stones is good, but he can’t have developed eyes on the back of his head surely?

He reacted too slowly.

A top CB on his game would have reacted faster.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m not quite sure why Stones gets the blame for that. It’s a freak header into that zone. But Mandzukic is behind Stones and in front of Maguire... why was Maguire around the back covering him? I mean Stones is good, but he can’t have developed eyes on the back of his head surely?

that was exactly the mistake, Stones had completely lost him, didnt know he was there until too late. and good CB do have eyes in the back of their heads. moment the ball was headed in he should have reacted, but he didnt. shame as it was a really good performance from him otherwise.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No, if you read my posts I’ve backed it up with facts as to why they are not a great team. They finished behind Iceland in qualifying and weren’t able to beat Denmark or Russia without penalty shoot outs, plus with the exception of one great player and a couple of very good ones they are not a fantastic team. It’s nothing to do with big names, as the one match Croatia have looked great in at this World Cup is when they tore apart a huge name, Argentina, who in reality are an absolute car crash of a team.

The only tabloidesque view here is yours, screaming ‘he’s talking shite’ because you disagree rather than debating the points.

Modric/Rakitić aside they are not a great team.

I was confident in us beating them and we really should have given the showing in the first half.

We should all be positive with the performances in the world cup and the job GS has done, but I am disappointed that we could not beat a team with that defence

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought someone like you would have watched quite a few WC semis...obviously not

They are rarely classics but the teams get cagey. I’m glad the country have enjoyed our performances Lammie but just think we are still just a mediocre team who got an easy passage.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Modric/Rakitić aside they are not a great team.

I was confident in us beating them and we really should have given the showing in the first half.

We should all be positive with the performances in the world cup and the job GS has done, but I am disappointed that we could not beat a team with that defence

Agreed.

There is no getting away from the fact that we lacked belief, composure, a bit of class. They got their game together 2nd half, and when presented with chances, scored, hit the post, then in ET scored again when actually they were the ones struggling. Composure. Take your chances. I will replay Stirling going through numerous times, Kane's double miss and free header, Lingard missing twice, as those are the moments you win trophies on, have a bit of conviction and belief.

They were absolutely there to be beaten. Croatia were well and truly on the ropes not knowing what to do, a second goal would have likely galvanised England and knocked the stuffing out of them.

I am proud of what Gareth has done, and England are suddenly a lot easier to love again, but I'm struggling to be overly proud because I really feel they've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

There is no getting away from the fact that we lacked belief, composure, a bit of class. They got their game together 2nd half, and when presented with chances, scored, hit the post, then in ET scored again when actually they were the ones struggling. Composure. Take your chances. I will replay Stirling going through numerous times, Kane's double miss and free header, Lingard missing twice, as those are the moments you win trophies on, have a bit of conviction and belief.

They were absolutely there to be beaten. Croatia were well and truly on the ropes not knowing what to do, a second goal would have likely galvanised England and knocked the stuffing out of them.

I am proud of what Gareth has done, and England are suddenly a lot easier to love again, but I'm struggling to be overly proud because I really feel they've managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Good post. Opportunity missed - a few players didn’t have the best of games inc Kane, Alli, Lingard and Rashford when he came on. We had 2 shots on target in 2 hours - no way we deserved anything from the game.

Team is young and will learn from this, and GS looks like he’ll be around for a while. Just hope we don’t enter the next Euros all cocky and expectant.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good post. Opportunity missed - a few players didn’t have the best of games inc Kane, Alli, Lingard and Rashford when he came on. We had 2 shots on target in 2 hours - no way we deserved anything from the game.

Team is young and will learn from this, and GS looks like he’ll be around for a while. Just hope we don’t enter the next Euros all cocky and expectant.

And that isn't a stat that even reflects us sitting back taking the punches, that is 2 shots on target dominating the first half and creating a whole host of chances, and pretty dominating the first period of ET too.

I'm not sure how much the players will learn, they're young, but they're all in their 20s and all battled hardened pros. I'm not sure Owen got any better after '98 or Rooney '04 and they were both teenagers. The optimism I have is that Gareth appears to be the sort of manager that will identify new talent coming through early, and will have no hesitation in swapping out players who have fallen short. I may sound negative to some, but I'm looking forward to seeing England evolve from here.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Couldn’t sleep, down this morning. That’s the price you pay for starting to care again and beginning to dream. A journey we didn’t expect. Now we can start to stress over getting to 40 points for survival again!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Having seen pictures of the Croatian President, I feel they deserve it really.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 132

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Also outraged at the dismal performance by ITV. Roy Kean - why? Who thought that idea would be good?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How annoying was Lovren? Week after week see him making **** ups and being out of position for Liverpool, and he doesn't put a foot wrong. Massively aggressive, he was in our faces the whole time. Really impressive performance from him for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stones needs to move away from City.

It’s the only way he will stop the silly mistake, needs to play every week

Seriously? Spurs fan, looking to deflect the blame from Kane? We all know what the pivotal moment in that game was. Pointless worrying about anything else.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Seriously? Spurs fan, looking to deflect the blame from Kane? We all know what the pivotal moment in that game was. Pointless worrying about anything else.

This.
The last 2 games Kane has been truly awful in front of goal. If fact truly awful full stop.

I would not be at all surprised if Kane and Alli were both covering up knocks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This.
The last 2 games Kane has been truly awful in front of goal. If fact truly awful full stop.

I would not be at all surprised if Kane and Alli were both covering up knocks.

Lol Kane truly awful against Sweden?

I guess that is a back handed compliment is that is how highly you rate him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here