Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It’s very different if you are abroad. And compared to other nations, who can just rock up at their embassy, it is anachronistic.

I've also had to do that as well when we had five passports stolen. Quick trip to Paris and we couldv'e had replacement passports within 5 hours - the only thing that held us up was getting permission from our kids other parents which wasn't the fault of the system. You appear to be making up a problem that isn't there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've also had to do that as well when we had five passports stolen. Quick trip to Paris and we couldv'e had replacement passports within 5 hours - the only thing that held us up was getting permission from our kids other parents which wasn't the fault of the system. You appear to be making up a problem that isn't there.

This is great to know. Can you explain, or show me, how I can get a passport renewal in 5 hours whilst living abroad then? This is pretty quick and only one hour more than the Uber-Premium Service they offer at the Passport Office in London. The wife needs hers renewing soon. When I took advice, and scoured the passport website, I was advised it would take me up to 4 weeks. I’m genuinely interested.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I've got to admire what Danny Dyer has to say on the subject - Whatever side of the Brexit fence you have your arse firmly nailed to, it's difficult to that Cameron's rabid thirst for power left us with an ill thought out referendum (because he assumed his side would win) with no plan for what happened next. Tw@t.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...itv-david-cameron_uk_5b354e21e4b0f3c2219f4a78

I like Danny Dyer,but perhaps he needs to think first sometimes.
he called Cameron a **** for "calling on" the referendum. and fair enough, you are entitled to that belief.
He must mean also the 544 MP`s who democratically voted to "call it on" via the Referendum Act are also tw@ts.

Which if he does, then i guess he thinks parliamentary democracy is tw@ttish ........he really should have a royal adviser considering his heritage

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is great to know. Can you explain, or show me, how I can get a passport renewal in 5 hours whilst living abroad then? This is pretty quick and only one hour more than the Uber-Premium Service they offer at the Passport Office in London. The wife needs hers renewing soon. When I took advice, and scoured the passport website, I was advised it would take me up to 4 weeks. I’m genuinely interested.

Im afraid you will just have to live with the fact that you cannot enjoy the same benefits of a person living in the UK if you choose to live outside of our
UK Union............suck it up as Anna Soubry says

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Im afraid you will just have to live with the fact that you cannot enjoy the same benefits of a person living in the UK if you choose to live outside of our
UK Union............suck it up as Anna Soubry says

But I can, [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] has said it can only take 5 hours.

D

Deleted member 22389

Would they be any more likely to take them if they weren't EU members? Alternative way forward please?

They should have stuck with the idea of processing people away from Europe to find out who is genuine and who is not.
It will just encourage more people to make the journey across. It doesn't solve anything.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
For what it's worth, when I renewed my UK passport via the "fast" online service last year (from the Netherlands) it took 3 weeks, and that was with paying the premium for courier delivery. But I had to post off previous passport to the UK first to have it cancelled, so the point is valid that if you travel frequently you can potentially be stranded throughout the time you have no valid documentation.

By comparison, my passport renewal before that (also from NL) had to be posted to the UK embassy in Paris, but it came back within 48 hours. So did the passport before that (posted to the UK consulate in Amsterdam, sent back practically by return).

Since we're comparing other countries' systems... Getting my Dutch passport involved going to the local town hall, showing valid ID, handing them a photo and getting fingerprinted. No forms whatsoever. All done in 5 minutes - all my other details are already in the system. Then go back to local town hall two days later, show ID, and pick up new passport - another 5 minutes, tops (nearer to 2 minutes in my case as there was no queue).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Does that mean Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia are going to take they fair share of refugees, or are they still saying listening to their people and saying no.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-takes-on-most-of-the-visegrad-group-over-refugees/

Doesnt look like anything was agreed on that issue,these countries want to protect their borders and citizens and the EU is still deeply divided
The EU are still fudging this issue years down the line......still cant even agree where holding centres should be.
Farages poster is still correct, they are a clusterfvck on this issue and too many cooks spoil the broth

D

Deleted member 22389

Doesnt look like anything was agreed on that issue,these countries want to protect their borders and citizens and the EU is still deeply divided
The EU are still fudging this issue years down the line......still cant even agree where holding centres should be.
Farages poster is still correct, they are a clusterfvck on this issue and too many cooks spoil the broth

It's solved nothing and will just go on and on.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They should have stuck with the idea of processing people away from Europe to find out who is genuine and who is not.
It will just encourage more people to make the journey across. It doesn't solve anything.

Indeed, and these dangerous crossings kill people
The EU needs to grow some balls and get tough, stop these suicide boat journeys, end the absurdity of economic migrants paying 1000`s of dollars to criminals to try to jump the system on genuine vulnerable refugees who have nothing and are the most in need of getting help first.
The virtue signalling do-gooders liberals of this world fuel this vile hypocrisy.........im sure they sleep well at night though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah but that was Paris, they are geared up for tourists

Maybe. But he knows my situation, and he stated I was making things up. That’s a pretty strong statement which I feel he should now explain.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Maybe. But he knows my situation, and he stated I was making things up. That’s a pretty strong statement which I feel he should now explain.

Dont think he inferred you were making it up,there are different situations for different people. he had passports stolen and there was a quick turnaround
If you live abroad you wont enjoy the benefits of getting a quick renewal the same as UK residents......why should you?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I like Danny Dyer,but perhaps he needs to think first sometimes.
he called Cameron a **** for "calling on" the referendum. and fair enough, you are entitled to that belief.
He must mean also the 544 MP`s who democratically voted to "call it on" via the Referendum Act are also tw@ts.

Which if he does, then i guess he thinks parliamentary democracy is tw@ttish ........he really should have a royal adviser considering his heritage

Oh come on don't be naive - This was Cameron's big election policy, you honestly think that any major party could say no, we're not having a referendum on EU membership. That he made the commitment to it, (again, believing he couldn't lose), that he made such a dogs dinner of it, is firmly his legacy.

I've said before on this thread, sometimes people's intransigence severely weakens their argument - I can't believe there's a long list of people that would defend Cameron's incompetence on this one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dont think he inferred you were making it up,there are different situations for different people. he had passports stolen and there was a quick turnaround
If you live abroad you wont enjoy the benefits of getting a quick renewal the same as UK residents......why should you?

I’ll leave him to explain himself.

As for “benefits”, other nations have these. For example a Dane can rock up to the Danish embassy, apply, and collect their passport a few weeks later without having to submit their current passport ie they are free to travel. And also, people are out of the U.K. for many different reasons, some through choice, some not. It’s not a benefit, it’s more about modernity.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

In any case, i remember you saying you were just going to get yourself a German passport anyway and be a dual national to rid yourself of any issues.
Nearly two years now since the vote and you havnt got one? Did you encounter an issue?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Theresa May -
We are going to be publishing our white paper shortly and I want to see the negotiations accelerating and intensifying thereafter.

YOU'RE THE ONE THAT HAS BEEN DELAYING PUBLISHING THE ****ING THING.

I ask you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In any case, i remember you saying you were just going to get yourself a German passport anyway and be a dual national to rid yourself of any issues.
Nearly two years now since the vote and you havnt got one? Did you encounter an issue?

I need to have been registered here for 8 years, I’ve only got just over 5 on the clock at the moment. I also need to get my German up to a certain level as well. I’m moving in the right direction on both counts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yesterday's summit seems to have gone well. Of course there will be differences between 28 sovereign nations but notwithstanding Brexit I'm still impressed that the EU gives a decision-making forum between nations which works. This is without the Commission of the ECJ laying down the law on the matter. Like some football teams, the EU seems to 'find a way' to deliver some sort of result in the face of astonishingly complex challenges.

drawing on the football analogy, EU follows the Brian Clough school of decision making.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here