Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russian welcome mat laid out for our fans....

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My Brother and two mates flew out on Saturday , he text me this morning and pretty much echo's all the good stuff thus far , Bloody hell if i had the chance to go , i would go , of course there maybe trouble at some point , but come on , the greatest sporting event on earth with the chance to see your team play , yes please , most of the don't go advice is probably from people that check to see if it's raining before making their mind up to travel to the Amex :lolol:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Get a grip mate . Looking like a right fanny

Heard all this before numerous tournaments .

**** all will happen so stop sh itting your pants

Actually, last last I shat my pants was in Marseille in June 1998. I work with lots of Russian interpreters who have told me English fans are being targeted by right wing gangs and by the state.
I’ll be watching in front of the TV, boring as shit, safe as houses. It’s calied experience ....

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
That's completely standard FCO advice that you'd get for all sorts of countries, has probably been like that for the last few years, and makes absolutely no mention of the World Cup whatsoever.

I think the reference to recent tensions would suggest otherwise. Later in the article it goes on to say that anyone arrested will not receive consular support due to the recent breakdown of diplomatic relations.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Not sure why they target us as our reputation died about 20 years ago and other countries would be a better option.I suspect Poland will be a far better option.

The reputation of England fans abroad is now less about violence (fans of other countries are now better at that) but more about extreme twattery. Look at the Amsterdam match in March and the obnoxious behaviour by the canal (see YouTube). If England fans act in this usual extremely twattish way they will get a world of pain dumped on them in Russia.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The reputation of England fans abroad is now less about violence (fans of other countries are now better at that) but more about extreme twattery. Look at the Amsterdam match in March and the obnoxious behaviour by the canal (see YouTube). If England fans act in this usual extremely twattish way they will get a world of pain dumped on them in Russia.

Same as the twattish Brighton fans that throw beer around?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Really? Going to an away up North in the 80"s probably came with far greater risk.

Yep, having been up north in the late 80s and early 90s I can agree.

I remember trouble at Bolton, Wigan, Preston and Stockport. All within a six week period during one season. Oldham were delightful chaps...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

I remember trouble at Bolton, Wigan, Preston and Stockport. All within a six week period during one season. Oldham were delightful chaps...

Yeah but apart from the aggro there was a fair chance that if you got arrested you would be treated correctly. I wouldn't want to be an England fan in the hands of the Russian police, legal or prison system.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah but apart from the aggro there was a fair chance that if you got arrested you would be treated correctly. I wouldn't want to be an England fan in the hands of the Russian police, legal or prison system.

In the late 80s/early 90s that wasn't a given. Although you stood a chance outside the West Midlands.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Actually, last last I shat my pants was in Marseille in June 1998. I work with lots of Russian interpreters who have told me English fans are being targeted by right wing gangs and by the state.
I’ll be watching in front of the TV, boring as shit, safe as houses. It’s calied experience ....
In the latest Marseille incident involving Russians all I can say is they attacked about every England fan who wasn't up for it. Heard a few accounts of lads there who had a pop back and the Russians were on their toes. So most likely families and the like will be under the kosh again.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I was in Russia about 6 weeks ago - it obviously wasn't World Cup related so no idea how the hooligans will behave, but for what it's worth that FCO advice about Brits in Russia in the first post has been the same since the beginning of March (it changed after the back and forth about the poisoning in Salisbury and the St Petersburg consulate was closed) and I had zero problems as a Brit wandering the streets.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Not sure why they target us as our reputation died about 20 years ago and other countries would be a better option.I suspect Poland will be a far better option.

potential last 16

England v Poland

Moscow on a Tuesday night

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

Indeed

Oldham late 70s

if I hadn't pushed the lock down on the van,I'm pretty sure the physco trying to get in would have given me a right shoeing

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Oldham are wrong ‘uns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can foresee lots of English supporters being arrested for non-existant public order / drinking offences or 'complaints' made to the authorities by hoteliers, and then languishing in some shit-hole prison for days on end as the Russians blame the delay in dealing with them on the lack of UK consular staff following the tit-for-tat expulsions. It's an open goal for the Russian propaganda machine.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Indeed

Oldham late 70s

if I hadn't pushed the lock down on the van,I'm pretty sure the physco trying to get in would have given me a right shoeing
You should have gone in the Bosun van. Less trouble.:)???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can foresee lots of English supporters being arrested for non-existant public order / drinking offences or 'complaints' made to the authorities by hoteliers, and then languishing in some shit-hole prison for days on end as the Russians blame the delay in dealing with them on the lack of UK consular staff following the tit-for-tat expulsions. It's an open goal for the Russian propaganda machine.

Same thing happened in Amsterdam to 60 England - literally unbelievable to nick and fine people just because they were English and the twats who caused trouble had all ran off - and there was only 4 of them who started it!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here