Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excuse my ignorance geeks, but can someone please plot my route through Brighton from Ditchling, for tomorrow.

I only ever go down Coldean Lane, right at the bottom, and Bear Road or straight down to turn right at the pier.
I'm assuming that route will have me on a collision course with all manner of shenanigans.

I'm thinking straight across the 27, down Ditchling Road, then right onto The Old Shoreham Rd.
If that is the case, what are the turns I need?

Ta muchly.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
So, what does this mean?

183.JPG

I assumed it meant 'eff off'.

Hacked me off to only see a cat 2 on my ride so I made a new smegment and now have a whore's category climb on my riding CV. Happy days.

I'll be going back to have a proper go. Sadly unlikely to be on my own bike though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've just added in my 41 miles too, I got confused between Henfield and Hassocks. Again. I ended up having to take a short cut to get to The Amex... Ditchling Beacon. Nightmare, I wanted to skip to Henfield then around to Lewes and back along to the Amex, but instead I end up in Hassocks and needing to hot foot it back over to the Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just added in my 41 miles too, I got confused between Henfield and Hassocks. Again. I ended up having to take a short cut to get to The Amex... Ditchling Beacon. Nightmare, I wanted to skip to Henfield then around to Lewes and back along to the Amex, but instead I end up in Hassocks and needing to hot foot it back over to the Amex.
Well done, you pretty much got us to Barcelona.
If you'd pulled your finger out we could have gone for a romantic day in Venice :smile:

Yeah, but tell us about Yorks.
Although the hardest of the 5 York's was ok.
It peaks at 20% for a decent section at the top, which is just at the limit of my doableness.
But that's still not as steep as Cobb Lane.

There were so many people riding around that ridge, but they were all going in the opposite direction to me.
So much so I lost confidence in my directions and starting asking where was York's?
The first 3 people didn't know, even though we were less than a mile away.
That included a bloke on a Cervelo, deep rimmed wheels & head to toe in Rapha, who replied:-

"I'm sure I've been up it loads of times, I just don't know it as York's Hill" :bla::wanker::bla:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Great win by Adam Yates in the San Sebastian.

Even though he didnt realise he'd won it til 50 metres after the finish.

Amazing ride to stay away from some experienced talent, only heard this last night on the velocast and just watched it on Eurosport.

Apparently due to the aeroplane that takes the bike camera feeds having to land, race radio had lost who was where and was reporting someone was ahead of him, so his victory ride was one of him just talking into his radio and asking people if he had won. He really didn't want to be that rider who comes second and celebrates in mistake.

They have replayed Orica Greenedge for their faith in letting them just develop and ride and over SKY who would only offer to sign one of them, they have really landed on the world cycling stage.

To beat Valverde and Gilbert is no mean feat, however perhaps they just wanted a laugh and see him in that comedy hat all the winners must wear.

Brilliant stuff

Attachments

• Adam 11.jpg
    Adam 11.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 92

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So, what does this mean?

View attachment 67410

I assumed it meant 'eff off'.

Hacked me off to only see a cat 2 on my ride so I made a new smegment and now have a whore's category climb on my riding CV. Happy days.

I'll be going back to have a proper go. Sadly unlikely to be on my own bike though.

It sort of meant that. Basically the road is only to be used for service or emergency or 'operators'. Though I doubt they'd quibble about a bike.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well done, you pretty much got us to Barcelona.
If you'd pulled your finger out we could have gone for a romantic day in Venice :smile:

Although the hardest of the 5 York's was ok.
It peaks at 20% for a decent section at the top, which is just at the limit of my doableness.
But that's still not as steep as Cobb Lane.

There were so many people riding around that ridge, but they were all going in the opposite direction to me.
So much so I lost confidence in my directions and starting asking where was York's?
The first 3 people didn't know, even though we were less than a mile away.
That included a bloke on a Cervelo, deep rimmed wheels & head to toe in Rapha, who replied:-

"I'm sure I've been up it loads of times, I just don't know it as York's Hill" :bla::wanker::bla:

Cobb Lane is MUCH easier than Yorks Hill.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So where do you go from there then? That was a mega ride.

Thanks for the translation PM. It'll be open next time.
I don't know now.

When put on the spot my goals for the Summer were to get back to having 100 mile legs, and ride Box Hill.
I'm sure I'll get to BH at some point, but that's proving tricky to find a date with Colin.
The hardest way from here is about 120 miles, so all of a sudden that's lost it's kudos.

I should do the Roubaix sportive but I'm a little chicken going on my own.
(It's ok Pogue & H I don't need it selling to me, I'll let you know if I'm brave enough to seek your advise)

To be brutally honest, and horrendously sexist, foremost in my mind is finding the lady attempting Ditchling 10 yards in front of me.
Her climbing style was appalling, she only made 3 bends, and she needed some coaching.
The fact that her bottom looked lovely is neither here nor there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cobb Lane is MUCH easier than Yorks Hill.
No way.
I was doing wheelies up Cobb Lane, on my only successful ascent in 3 attempts.
Yorks is just a bit steep

That's not to say Yorks is easy, but for me at least it's just within my tolerance levels, Cobb Lane is the same distance outside my levels. I guess it's the extra 3 or 4 %, even for just a few yards is just too much for me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't know now.

When put on the spot my goals for the Summer were to get back to having 100 mile legs, and ride Box Hill.
I'm sure I'll get to BH at some point, but that's proving tricky to find a date with Colin.
The hardest way from here is about 120 miles, so all of a sudden that's lost it's kudos.

I should do the Roubaix sportive but I'm a little chicken going on my own.
(It's ok Pogue & H I don't need it selling to me, I'll let you know if I'm brave enough to seek your advise)

To be brutally honest, and horrendously sexist, foremost in my mind is finding the lady attempting Ditchling 10 yards in front of me.
Her climbing style was appalling, she only made 3 bends, and she needed some coaching.
The fact that her bottom looked lovely is neither here nor there.

I think we should book up to do Paris Roubaix next year. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] ?

Or how about the Tour of Flanders?

Maybe an NSC team?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we should book up to do Paris Roubaix next year. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] ?

Or how about the Tour of Flanders?

Maybe an NSC team?
I'm 100% up for it.

As said my 'boyz' don't fancy it, and try as I might I'm not built for x hours of climbing.
After this weekend I'm seriously reeling from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]'s Nice trip. :bowdown:

I'm 100% up for it.

As said my 'boyz' don't fancy it, and try as I might I'm not built for x hours of climbing.
After this weekend I'm seriously reeling from [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]'s Nice trip. :bowdown:

Blimey Stat, you've been on fire this year!! I can only aspire to so well!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey Stat, you've been on fire this year!! I can only aspire to so well!
A spring classic target is exactly what I need to launch me into winter.

Putting in those grotty miles (although they aren't that bad when out) is where all this decent riding comes from.

I do love it when we geeks have a day/week like the last one.
Sure we're small change in the cycling fraternity, but seeing all those hundreds on our leaderboard makes me smile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here