Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Most Distance Travelled By Car In One Day

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure of the distances involved but for work, drove a Vito minivan (with one other driver) from Southampton to Prague, and from Southampton to Copenhagen, each in a single day. The Copenhagen run, we left Southampton 04.30am and arrived in Copenhagen at just after midnight.

Also did a ludicrous round trip of Southampton to Nuremberg, to collect a part, then drive that from there to Coventry City (Highfield Road), install it to their display 1 hour before a Premier League game v Man United (they lost 4-0), then back to Southampton- all in about 39 hours.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Calais to Barcelona, fecking long way in however many hours it took. I was young then and no way would I consider it now, forget how long it took *senile*

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Madrid to Brighton, with a diversion due to major roadworks in Spain. 1100+ miles. Journey started with epic hangover.
In an LDV convoy.
Without a working radio.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Last month completed the Rust Bucket rally in a £500 car for charity , ours was a Jag and drove from Northants to Berlin 1st night, I drove for 9 hrs into Germany 670 Miles then a mate took over.
Second day was Berlin to Lake Como in Italy , then lake Como to Dijon through the Alps on the 3rd day, then back home to Northants on the fourth day.
All in all 2500 Miles.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Perpignan to Brighton in a Merc 608d with a couple of hundred cases of Roussillon in the back. Just hoped the tacho wouldn’t get checked.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Minimum in conparising to others but leaving lancing at 0530 to three bridges for an early turn, three bridges to Oxford to pick up brother, Oxford to Bristol to watch us beat them 2-1, Back to Oxford to drop brother off, couple of strong coffee’s then back to Lancing about 0230. Wouldn’t mind but it was the 2nd time I’d done it after the first game got called off at the last minute.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
800 miles, from a Calais motel to a French ski resort 4 years ago, just me driving.

It should've been 662 miles, but the Col du Lautaret was blocked by a blizzard (only informed when too late at Oisans), plus my SatNav later wrongly suggested a detour of a completely pointless circular route to ..... Oisans!

At the final destination, I got out of the car limping severely.

I later worked out that 800 miles equated to a drive from Calais to deep inside Poland, for comparison.

Everyone else I know who drives to The Alps, France or Spain, share the driving with spouse or mates.

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Solo? Boston to Atlanta, 1100 mi. 19.5 hours...
Did Chapel Hill to Boston and Pittsburgh to Boston both ways scads of times. 700 mi.

Choose the wrong start time and you can hit three rush hours.
Boston AM. NY or Philly or DC PM, Atlanta AM, -- there are all sorts of combos.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Living in Majorca I would do the drive back once every two or three years.
Majorca to Barcelona on the midnight ferry arriving early hours of the morning. Straight drive through France (this was 1988 to 1996 so not all motorways open) with only a few stops. Calais generally about 2 am ferry followed by A259 / A27 to Brighton. From Barca to Brighton usually 26 hours and 1000 miles all in a Citroen AX (small) with family and suitcases.

Up until a few years ago I'd do a 620 mile non-stop round trip collecting goods for business driving a transit van. Age has got the better of me now and I make two days of it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
800 miles, from a Calais motel to a French ski resort 4 years ago, just me driving.

It should've been 662 miles, but the Col du Lautaret was blocked by a blizzard (only informed when too late at Oisans), plus my SatNav later wrongly suggested a detour of a completely pointless circular route to ..... Oisans!

At the final destination, I got out of the car limping severely.

I later worked out that 800 miles equated to a drive from Calais to deep inside Poland, for comparison.

Everyone else I know who drives to The Alps, France or Spain, share the driving with spouse or mates.

A few years ago I was driving with Mrs DFP from Brighton to Risoul for a training course, the plan was to share the load, she took over at one service station and pulled in at the next. 16hrs total and she drove for 20mins :lol:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Drove from John O'Groats to Lands End in a Morris Minor two driving in two hour stints in 20 hours 10 minutes.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Brighton to Spa Franchorchamps by motorcycle in a single day. No idea how many miles we actually did. We avoided the dual carriage as much as possible.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few years ago I was driving with Mrs DFP from Brighton to Risoul for a training course, the plan was to share the load, she took over at one service station and pulled in at the next. 16hrs total and she drove for 20mins :lol:

My wife is nervous of driving on 'the wrong side of the road', plus other drivng customs overseas. So I do all the driving.

This limits legs of long drives, if I try driving all night on zzzzzzz French Autoroutes, it gets dangerous with me almost nodding off. So we book motels.

Other winter sports people I know, swap drivers 2 or 3 times in the night, plouging on to make The Alps in the one go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here