Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we really have to take this Orwellian s**t from our club ? remember we are the customer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Summed up perfectly. I'm going with "over inflated sense of entitlement"... will there be a poll?

But but I saved the club, I have to be treated better than the JCL's.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
If you had travelled away at all, you would know that these rules (and more) as overbearing as they may be, have applied to other stadia/grounds for a while now.

PB is not a tyrannical headmaster creating new ways to oppress you, give your head a wobble.

"killed my love for the club", seriously, what melodramatic bullshit.

100% this.

If this whole thing 'left me in a rage' then you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Plus clubs of that ilk have a sizable number of daytrippers, plastics and tourists to their home games, making a rare pilgrimage to the stadium from some far-flung part of the country (or world). Those people spend FORTUNES in the club superstore on matchdays. You see them in their seats clutching multiple carrier bags from the shop.

At the Emirates last season, I ponced a free ticket to one of the corporate hospitality suites in that middle tier of the stadium. The place was FESTOONED with said tourists, surrounded by their club shop bags, mostly watching the game through their cameraphones.

I think there is more of it at the Amex than you see in the middle of the WSU. Since the lad and I started our trips around the varying parts of the ground, I have been struck by how often we are sat with tourists.

Obviously it's a mile away from the ring of indifference that we sat in at The Emirates last season, but even so, you may be surprised by just how much of it there is dotted around the seats which are sold on a game by game basis.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to every game at the Amex for the first couple of seasons. Started to go less following Gus, noticed how much better off financially I was, but still go to the occasional game.

I appreciate sometimes the atmosphere at the Amex can be brilliant. Palace games are always buzzing, there's the odd eventful game which is electric (9 man v Burnley springs to mind) but generally the atmosphere is flat and sterile - but it's the same for practically all clubs in this country, not just us. It's just a sign of the times... out of all the things that are high priority for a football club, match day income, health & safety, its brand image... atmosphere is near the bottom of the list, in fact it seems clubs like to throttle back the atmosphere in case it leads to trouble.

Like I say, I would love The Albion to be a club that was different - a club that fought for safe standing, take your beer to the stands, encouraging large banners and other atmosphere improving ideas.... not one, just like the rest, who is banning f**king bottle caps, FFS.

Either way, I still get to watch every game, save lots of money, and not get too wound up about the sterile state of football today. All in all, I'm still a happy Albion fan. It's just a shame

Why do you think the atmosphere is the club’s responsibility? My take is that this is purely in the hands of the spectators. If we want to create an atmosphere then we can. There’s nothing stopping us....it’s totally in our control. But,for whatever reason, we generally don’t seem to bother. Again, my take is that it’s clear that we, English football supporters, aren’t that fussed about atmosphere. Can you tell me of a ground where the atmosphere is always electric.....no you won’t be able to. Personally I’m not that bothered; what we have at the AMEX is fine. I’m not that bothered chasing something that culturally we don’t seem too bothered about any more.

As an aside, I don’t buy the idea it’s due to all-seater stadia; I have been to plenty of all seater grounds which are rocking....sometimes literally.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Sign of the times and we’ll just have to suck it up. I can’t help but feel some corporate arrogance from the club as we become a bigger club.

There really is **** all we can do about, except stop going. I guess if enough of us refused to buy anything within the stadium they might feel the effects, but that’s not going to happen is it?

There are plenty of fans who will defend these actions by the club too.

The club currently have us by the short and curlies as for the most part they are doing a brilliant job and I won’t stop going because of these frankly trivial annoyances. They could be less dictatorial in the way they present them though.

Of course if you do choose to do that then don't expect to hear the end of it from the small-minded of NSC. :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Went to every game at the Amex for the first couple of seasons. I've sat in literally every stand. Started to go less following Gus, noticed how much better off financially I was, but still go to the occasional game.

I appreciate sometimes the atmosphere at the Amex can be brilliant. Palace games are always buzzing, there's the odd eventful game which is electric (9 man v Burnley springs to mind) but generally the atmosphere is flat and sterile - but it's the same for practically all clubs in this country, not just us. It's just a sign of the times... out of all the things that are high priority for a football club, match day income, health & safety, its brand image... atmosphere is near the bottom of the list, in fact it seems clubs like to throttle back the atmosphere in case it leads to trouble.

Like I say, I would love The Albion to be a club that was different - a club that fought for safe standing, take your beer to the stands, encouraging large banners and other atmosphere improving ideas.... not one, just like the rest, who is banning f**king bottle caps, FFS.

Either way, I still get to watch every game, save lots of money, and not get too wound up about the sterile state of football today. All in all, I'm still a happy Albion fan. It's just a shame

The club is bound by national laws passed by government when it comes to safe standing and beer in seats. There are lots of flags and banners especially in the south west corner.

Watching streams on the internet is illegal. It used to be the person streaming the game that was the criminal, but that has changed to anyone actually watching it now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40483486

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think there is more of it at the Amex than you see in the middle of the WSU. Since the lad and I started our trips around the varying parts of the ground, I have been struck by how often we are sat with tourists.

Obviously it's a mile away from the ring of indifference that we sat in at The Emirates last season, but even so, you may be surprised by just how much of it there is dotted around the seats which are sold on a game by game basis.

Going in the club shop and waiting for the train, you can hear lots of different languages plus the Japanese have a visit to the Amex on their bucket list since the Rugby world cup.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I don't doubt it. But the clubshop spend on matchdays at the Amex wouldn't be on anything like the scale of the tourists we see at places like Old Trafford and the Emirates, which is why their matchday income is through the stratosphere compared to ours (and the fact their stadiums are more than twice the size, obvs).

Funnily enough I seem to recall that when we were in the Championship, our matchday income was amongst the highest, if not THE highest in the division, and that this was primarily down to the beer and pie sales compared with other clubs. Being an out of town stadium, the Amex does have something of a captive audience when it comes to pre-match beer and scoff, plus you get plenty hanging back after the game guzzling more beer to let the train queues subside.

Not having mouse droppings associated with the catering probably helps as well.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
100% this.

If this whole thing 'left me in a rage' then you need to have a long hard look at yourself.

Agree - it's just the tone of the email that I personally find somewhat patronising.

PB is an outstanding CEO, but sometimes the club's PR leave a bit to be desired, IMO.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'm kind of apathetic about it all because I don't attend games very often anymore.

I used to be somewhat of a super fan in Withdean years, must have missed a handful of home games throughout the whole time we were there.

If I did still attend every game, I would be very pissed off about the direction the stadium is heading.

I'm not motivated to attend games, paying a fortune for a rather sterile atmosphere, when I can watch every game at home for free... but if the atmosphere was better, I'd definitely find myself going more again. Sadly, I think those times are long gone - airport style security, corporate nonsense, overpriced food & drink... not for me.

Still love the Albion, won't miss a game, but would love the club to be "different" and more progressive with the way it treats its fans... I'd probably start going more again if we were.

What an odd post. How can anyone think better atmosphere at Withdean. If you are waiting for atmosphere to match days of Withdean dont think you will be attending another game. Airport type security your joking . What is corporate nonsense ? Agree that match day tickets are high but STs are fine. If you think food over priced dont buy. Matter of interest how could club be more progressive to fans.
I suppose what sums up is you are now happy you can watch every game at home for free. What an atmosphere there must be there

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Going in the club shop and waiting for the train, you can hear lots of different languages plus the Japanese have a visit to the Amex on their bucket list since the Rugby world cup.

I hear at least one non-English language spoken at literally every game, there seem to be particularly large numbers of Germans and Dutch. I haven't heard any Welsh spoken yet :)

I'm amazed that people are moaning about the atmosphere at the Amex - they can't have gone to Withdean or Priestfield very often

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He's lots of things perhaps but certainly not afraid to argue his case in print, email or person, often at great length.
eg: He's the next guest at the London / Albion fans group (Seagulls over London) on January 16th.
http://www.seagullsoverlondon.com/

Have to agree with that - he's been at several fans forums, not just the pre-season one at the Amex.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don’t know, I’m not a munitions expert! All I’m saying is that the club are following guidelines set by the powers that be regarding security and safety issues. I suppose I would be annoyed if I took a flask of tea, or whatever, into the ground on a regular basis and then told I couldn’t. Having said that is it any more inconvenient than not being allowed to smoke within the confines of the stadium? All these rules and regs being applied unfortunately are symptomatic of today’s society and we just have to put up with them. Fundamentally, though, we all go to the Amex to watch our team play football - at least that hasn’t impinged on my enjoyment!

Old Trafford does not ban bottle-tops. Spilled drinks is a problem at the Amex.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Finally, we are also aware of a very small number of fans who chose to continue to ignore stadium rules by bringing flasks into the stadium, or by concealing bottle tops for use later. Anyone doing this is liable to ejection from the stadium and further stadium and ticketing sanctions. The club will not issue any further warnings.

When I got this email it made my blood boil . The very minor incidents involving a few Chelsea fans are being used to basically oppress us further . Okay there are bigger things going on in the world today but I am angry as all these decisions are more revenue focused than related to safety issues . Brighton happily serve expensive alcohol to pissed up idiots who've had too much already but won't let an OAP bring in a flask of tea . Hypocrites.

It's as though a major incident has happened at a game . Has it ? No . Now we can't bring bottle tops or flasks . Have they completely lost the plot ? They are threatening to ban people who bring flasks . Have they gone mad ? Take a step back and look at what you are actually saying for goodness sake . It just creates a bad feeling . " the club will not issue any further warnings ? " Or what - you going to line us up against the wall and shoot us ? It sounds like that .

Remember we are the customers - you are the lucky recipients of our time, loyalty and money . Without us you are nothing . So stop treating us like naughty children and treat us like customers .

I note your punctuation . It is quite an unusual quirk . There was another poster who used to do this . I wonder if by some chance you might be related ? ???

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I have to say this is bothering me too. The solution is probably to protest by not buying anything at the concessions. I'm pretty sure they'll revisit this crap money-grabbing policy when it starts costing them sales at concessions stalls.

They've nearly sorted that already with the slow service experienced in WSU. They must lose thousands in lost revenue with people just giving up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here