Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Social housing tenants earning over £30K will have to pay up to the market rent

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
**** off yourself you loser, sharp end my arse, for that i read ' you work in some crap job that alllows you to feel good about yourself while coasting along doing very little' there are 1.2 million plus foreign born people in social housing, including the asylum seeker from the congo who lived below me in london, who was so in fear of his life that he went back there 3 times a fvcking year.

I'm sure even the risk of persecution in his home country is more appealing than living below you so no wonder he ****ed off back to the Congo. My only surprise is it's just 3 times a year :lolol:

Dandyman

In London village.
View attachment Housing leaflet.pdf

...and what I tried to post earlier. This is the official policy in an inner London Borough including the priority given to local connections.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I expect the likes of [MENTION=17963]Hampster Gull[/MENTION] feels there are not enough benefit bashing programmes on the TV, the only bloke I know who has box sets of them all.

There are people on this programme who genuinely need state support and should be given it. Not a benefits bashing programme.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
should have waited to have kids untill he had a affordable home to keep them in

What a ****y thing to say. should I have not become a first time dad at the age of 35 because I can't afford to buy a house? I didn't realise having children was a right of the better off?

For what it's worth I wasn't interested in having kids until I met my missus. And I always said I didn't want them until I had a house and was married. But after seeing how my parents struggled bringing me and my sister up with him working 14+ hours a day 6 days a week to afford their house and not really knowing who he was until I was 10 years old I realised that you can never really afford to have kids.

This probably deserves to be in a separate thread but a few weeks ago me and the missus applied for tax credits to help with things and got a big **** you from them.

And to top it all off we've been told today that we've lost 2 days childcare from family members who were helping us out until we could get things sorted. So now I've got to find £400 a month to pay for my daughter to go to nursery. Or the missus gives up work altogether. We just don't have £400 spare to find. Even if I give up my ST and get rid of one car (leaving her stuck indoors with an 11 month old 5 days a week). I'm still way short.

Life is hard. It ****ing sucks. But seeing my daughters face after a 12 hour day makes me carry on. I don't know how I will manage but I have to.

God knows what happens when I hit retirement and I don't own my own place, I won't be able to afford rents then on a state pension (if it still exists) as I can't even afford to pay into a private pension now for later.

A higher paid job will help but working in engineering there are far too many graduates just out of uni with a degree but haven't a clue about how to actually do something that I can't get a better job.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Local authority and housing association tenants in England who earn more than £30,000 - or £40,000 in London - will have to pay up to the market rent.

A great piece of long overdue legislation that will be unveiled in Wednesday's budget. :clap2:

Out of interest is this per household or person? For instance if two adults earning 15k each with 3 kids would seem harsh to me, whilst 50k + etc marks the question why haven't these people taken the initiative to purchase their own property?

Other concern... does this not make certain feral generations even less bothered to work.

Hopefully there is also no loop hole for immigrants too!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HT do you rent out your UK home, I'm asking for the third time now?

You know I do. It's no secret as I have mentioned it on here a few times. It's my family home which I may move back into sometime in the future. I now await some nonsense about me being a hypocrite.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You know I do. It's no secret as I have mentioned it on here a few times. It's my family home which I may move back into sometime in the future. I now await some nonsense about me being a hypocrite.

Makes sense HT. why have an empty house, we need all our properties being used. Its what efficient markets should enable

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Not at all, I'm going to suggest though that you do enjoy the "going rate" in terms of the rent you collect and maybe, as I'm certain you don't rent it via B&HCC's excellent rental system you perhaps look into it and even chuck a rent cap as well?

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On all of these income qualifications it should be per household. I know a chap who works for his father and is paid just under the upper limit to pay low rate tax but his salary is made up with the difference being paid to his wife to take them up to £75k per annum. His wife does not work. This is on the advice of dads accountants so that all gain.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Ok bean brain, tell me what Osborne's economic qualifications are ? And not made up ones like Duncan Smith's either

With all due respect [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] very few Ministers are qualified in the subject of the department's that they are appointed to, and are shunted from department to department. That's why there are legions of civil servants, thinking that they are running things, and who are there regardless of the parties in power. Most Ministers are just front men.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I gave the thumbs down because I think the approach is wrong. I support lower rents, not higher. Germany seems to handle it well and when folk have a much lower percentage of their salary going on housing it means they spend it elsewhere across many sectors fuelling the economy.

This approach seems much more sensible.

It is a sensible approach in theory, and it works in Germany, but our unique (or at least the scale of the problem is unique) problem is the basic shortage of housing. This means that we are discussing various ideas for intervening in a market that simply cannot deliver. The only way forward is to build more houses and fast. If government is going to intervene in the housing market then it should do so to 1. Massively accelerate the planning process and 2. Manage new housing costs (eg limits to land sale values, building subsidies etc for the smaller 'first house' houses).

This shouldn't be a political party issue. We have to build more houses so that both property values and rents become more manageable due to supply and demand.

In the meantime, I would agree that temporary controls on rents etc is worth exploring.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why not abolish mortgages for BTL why should they borrow money to have a house bought for them in rental payments. If you wish to rent out property should be paid for cash. Not got the money dont buy the house.

Erm why not?...There is demand to rent...if you try and inhibit this area without providing the supply in another way ..which other way will you be trying to meet that demand?..Ay facts to suggest that BTL is forcing house prices up?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've got friends in social housing and they pay market rate for their flat and have done for years, so I'm not entirely sure that this news is new :shrug:

As others have said, pretty much every problem with housing in this country can be traced back to supply and demand issues.

If there was enough social housing for anyone who wanted it we wouldn't need to have this argument. It would also have a positive effect on the private market and make it more affordable for those who want to use it. If it was socially acceptable for anyone to be in social housing regardless of income it would be more of a lifestyle choice and up to the individual to decide between getting a mortgage and owning something at the end or benefiting from lower rents. There are pros and cons to both.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it is wrong that as spongy said earlier he could afford a £900 per month mortgage why should he pay that to buy somebody else a house. If the BTL mortgages where abolished rentals would reduce, I think as there would be more competition to let the houses. Other mortgages would then become more available and possibly go back to 95% or even 100% mortgages again. The BTL has been a boon to the money lenders and killed 1st time buyers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think it is wrong that as spongy said earlier he could afford a £900 per month mortgage why shouldhe pay that to buy somebody else a house. If the BTL mortgages where abolished rentals would reduce, I think as there would be more competition to let the houses.

If btl mortgages were abolished which is what you suggested rents would reduce? Erm less houses to rent doesn't necessarily mean rents reduce...in fact under supply and demand would suggest they go up...sorry for old Spongy but we do live in a capitalist society and thats just part of it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
On all of these income qualifications it should be per household. I know a chap who works for his father and is paid just under the upper limit to pay low rate tax but his salary is made up with the difference being paid to his wife to take them up to £75k per annum. His wife does not work. This is on the advice of dads accountants so that all gain.

Indeed, and there should be a married couples tax allowance, but there isn't (unless your income is under £10,600).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here