Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Don't think I have been on this thread yet, but here goes.......

Really would like to see some signings soon to hopefully make the most of a few points opportunities post City, fingers crossed!

As an aside I have been looking around for a venue here in Melbourne for me to watch the return of The Albion to the top league of English football, although it will be a 02.30 kick off! It seems the top 'soccer' bar is The Imperial Hotel, loads of space and loads of screens, all good so far. With a little more research it turns out it is also the home of the Liverpool fans down here, and Man City too, could be a lively night! :lol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You could view this either way however. Whilst you could be right that players and agents might be more realistic it could go the other way in that clubs will know how desperate we are come the 31st and the price will reflect that need. Still in the sooner rather than later camp.

Doesn't seem to work like that- in theory it should I guess.

But use Ross Barkley for example - Everton want 50 million for a player who has a year left on his contract - however buying clubs know Everton will be desperate to get something for him before he leaves on a free - unless they sell him this window his value in Jan will half (at least) before the summer.

Other clubs would have assumed A player is leaving so have replaced him so will need to off load.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think (unfortunately) you've hit the nail on the head here. The new Sky agreement has distorted the PL transfer market hugely and it seems that clubs looking for value had the beginning of the window to score some good deals but will have to wait to the last days/hours to find more cost effective fits.

In summary, I'm going to try to stop following this transfer nonsense until 30/08/17 when I'll jump back in. Hopefully we'll get our two loans prior to the City game but permanents will probably need to be last minute deals.

I think teams coming up THIS season are seeing the effect of the increased TV income. I think when Leicester won the league it

1. Reflected a period where income was up but transfers hadn't caught up, so Leicester were able to jump ahead to a degree.
2. Made the 'BIG' teams realize that they could spend a lot more, and indeed had to in order to exert their right to be better.

This season we're seeing that in full effect. I still think there's good value to be had on the fringes, namely NOT UK and not the main teams in the main European Leagues - like BHAFC have been doing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So do you think our business has been better or poorer than Huddersfield or Newcastle at present?
Worse than Huddersfield for sure, but then of course we've still got more cash left in the kitty. Basically we haven't shown our hand yet.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Worse than Huddersfield for sure, but then of course we've still got more cash left in the kitty. Basically we haven't shown our hand yet.

Currently I would agree with Durham, but as you say time for all that to change yet. If nothing has changed by the end of this month I think I will begin to panic.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Currently I would agree with Durham, but as you say time for all that to change yet. If nothing has changed by the end of this month I think I will begin to panic.
The point is we need a 25 man squad that can play in the PL. we have currently 3-4 in our 25 who we know will be loaned out/sold. ( not good enough for championship last year for some)
Then we have the job of upgrading the current team.. At present we are nowhere near ready, we are not spending sums associated to a PL team and ar this rate we will struggle. The ongoing debate is should we panic? We have time etc etc, but we know from past experiences that this could possibly be repeated in mid August in prep for failings at end of window.....

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
West Ham have signed 31 strikers since 2010 and 20 of them have failed to score more than 3 goals..

I'm rather happy we haven't gone all guns blazing in the transfer market. Most transfers, especially at the bottom end of the Prem, tend to flop anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Huddersfield's signings all turn out to be overpaid flops. We need to wisely alter things . There's no point bringing in players who may run the risk of being no better than we already have. We have to bring in guaranteed better players and I'm getting the impression that's what we've done so far. Players like Neto (almost joining) shows we're looking at a standard much higher than of the recent Huddersfield signings and yet they're still probably cheaper players.
I'm sensing that Bloom is looking at our entrance into the Prem like a Waitrose opening up near you.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
One more week and I'm going to join the mild panic brigade.

I absolutely believe the club are doing their best, and can't be held responsible for failed medical etc.....

But preparation is important so we do need bodies soon and real quality as well, not this Snodgrass/McArthur nonsense.

I think the transfer window should shut a week prior to the start of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
One more week and I'm going to join the mild panic brigade.

I absolutely believe the club are doing their best, and can't be held responsible for failed medical etc.....

But preparation is important so we do need bodies soon and real quality as well, not this Snodgrass/McArthur nonsense.

I think the transfer window should shut a week prior to the start of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, absolutely ridiculous situation. Talked about every year but nothing changes. I can't believe managers/owners/fans are happy with how it is now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here