Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WARNING. Watch Out For...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The usual nonsense from the usual people on this subject. It boils down to the usual conclusion - people are people. Some cyclists are twats, some motorists are twats. Simple.

The path from Woodingdean to the Amex is not suitable for road tyres, it is suitable only for mountainbike tyres. The only people who would disagree are people who have never used the path, or who have never used road tyres. There's nothing more to it than that.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I use the Falmer Road everyday and last Saturday I was amazed to see SIX cyclist riding in single file along the this road, at a very busy time.
This Lycra group gave the motorist no chance of overtaking them and the traffic just had to build up behind them and travel the whole length at their pace, unbelievable. And all this talk about how unsafe the cycle path is pure bo**ox. When you compare how bad the drains sink in this road and how the cyclist swerve out to miss each one on this extremely dangerous section of road, the cycle path has to be the safer option for them.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Why else would they do it? You have to be a wanker of the very highest to hold up loads of cars when there is a perfectly usable path alongside the road. Got to be far safer as well. I know which I would pick if I was on a bike.
You obviously know nothing about bikes. The path there is fine if you're on a bike with off-road tyres but if you're on a road bike with thin wheels and tyres your only option is the road. Unfortunately there are too many motorists out there who are ignorant of these things and think cyclists are not entitled to be on the road because 'they don't pay road tax'

And most of my time I drive country roads between Worthing and Guildford where you get held up by cyclists far more than the Falmer-Woodingdean stretch. The trick is to sit back, relax until you get space to pass properly and then you'll easily catch up to the back of the next queue of traffic, you'll just be queuing for a few seconds less.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I drive the length of Lewes Road every evening after dark from the seafront to the A27 (Amex) and cant work out why cyclists have the right to cycle along dressed in black, no lights and ignore traffic lights.
But great accident the other day. Lewes Road junction with Elm Grove, traveling out of town about 10:00 pm. Bendy bus went through the junction and swerved to go around the cars parked beyond the junction. At his side was the usual cyclist in black no lights. Behind the bus was a police car, all lights flashing who failed to see the cyclist and took him out big time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Always love a good cyclist v motorist thread [emoji23][emoji23]

Simple fact is there are some twats on bikes, and some twats in cars. Vast majority of cyclists and drivers are ok of course, but there are a few on both sides that act like dicks (only difference being virtually all of the twats on bikes are car drivers too, which makes their behaviour particularly annoying).

If motorists had just a bit of patience and passed cyclists when it was safe to do so with a decent wide berth, and cyclists realised when they were causing an obstruction and perhaps gave way now and again, didn't cycle 2-3 abreast holding up traffic and observed traffic signals then the roads would be a happier (safer) place. Ain't going to happen though.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
You obviously know nothing about bikes. The path there is fine if you're on a bike with off-road tyres but if you're on a road bike with thin wheels and tyres your only option is the road. Unfortunately there are too many motorists out there who are ignorant of these things and think cyclists are not entitled to be on the road because 'they don't pay road tax'

And most of my time I drive country roads between Worthing and Guildford where you get held up by cyclists far more than the Falmer-Woodingdean stretch. The trick is to sit back, relax until you get space to pass properly and then you'll easily catch up to the back of the next queue of traffic, you'll just be queuing for a few seconds less.

I will be the first to admit I don't know much about bikes. Sorry. I'm not one to preach about people paying road tax or even cyclists in general. But what I do know is being stuck in a huge queue of cars behind one cyclist on that particular stretch of road is about as infuriating as it gets.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You have only to read the cyclist responses on here to see the problem. Not a single thought for the dozens of other people they inconvenience. Nothing at all wrong with riding a bike per se as Frankie acknowledges, it's that particular road and the failure to avail yourselves of the cycle path he is complaining about. But no, a cyclists 'right' to hold up other people must come above the rights of all of the people using that road. The roads are created solely for the use of cyclists and everything else must fall in line. It's exactly that attitude that makes cyclists so unpopular with other road users, not the actual use of a bike, which ought to be commendable never mind anything else. Whatever happened to manners and respect for other people? (Yes I'm well aware of the fact that motorists often show none of these qualities either)

There is also very little point in creating cycle lanes if people aren't going to use the things although I accept that the council's penny pinching is a problem here too.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I will be the first to admit I don't know much about bikes. Sorry. I'm not one to preach about people paying road tax or even cyclists in general. But what I do know is being stuck in a huge queue of cars behind one cyclist on that particular stretch of road is about as infuriating as it gets.

To be fair usually it's not much fun for the cyclist either. Nothing worse than leading a 'peloton' of cars.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You have only to read the cyclist responses on here to see the problem. Not a single thought for the dozens of other people they inconvenience. Nothing at all wrong with riding a bike per se as Frankie acknowledges, it's that particular road and the failure to avail yourselves of the cycle path he is complaining about. But no, a cyclists 'right' to hold up other people must come above the rights of all of the people using that road. The roads are created solely for the use of cyclists and everything else must fall in line. It's exactly that attitude that makes cyclists so unpopular with other road users, not the actual use of a bike, which ought to be commendable never mind anything else. Whatever happened to manners and respect for other people? (Yes I'm well aware of the fact that motorists often show none of these qualities either)

There is also very little point in creating cycle lanes if people aren't going to use the things although I accept that the council's penny pinching is a problem here too.

As a cyclist I get annoyed seeing cyclists riding two or more abreast, absolutely no need for it and you could say a provocative thing to be doing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I use the Falmer Road everyday and last Saturday I was amazed to see SIX cyclist riding in single file along the this road, at a very busy time.
This Lycra group gave the motorist no chance of overtaking them and the traffic just had to build up behind them and travel the whole length at their pace, unbelievable. And all this talk about how unsafe the cycle path is pure bo**ox. When you compare how bad the drains sink in this road and how the cyclist swerve out to miss each one on this extremely dangerous section of road, the cycle path has to be the safer option for them.
Unless it isn't.

Clearly the fault isn't with cyclists it's with whomever wasted x millions on a cycle path not fit for purpose.

How often are you held up by cyclists coming the A270 from Coldean Lane into Brighton?

It's far from a perfect cycle lane, esp at the junctions, but I'll hazard a guess it's the best Brighton's got.

Always love a good cyclist v motorist thread [emoji23][emoji23]
Let me know when we have one, as I can't remember any and this clearly isn't it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless it isn't.

Clearly the fault isn't with cyclists it's with whomever wasted x millions on a cycle path not fit for purpose.

How often are you held up by cyclists coming the A270 from Coldean Lane into Brighton?

It's far from a perfect cycle lane, esp at the junctions, but I'll hazard a guess it's the best Brighton's got.

Let me know when we have one, as I can't remember any and this clearly isn't it.
Missed the ironic smilies presumably......Yes, they're all shit. Same old from both sides

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

I'd politely suggest that you haven't actually read any of the above responses. If a cycle lane was truly fit for purpose, you'd be a bloody fool not to use it. Lewes Road is the only decent example of one I can think of and there was a hell of a ruckus when that was built.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Does Bozza PM a random NSCer on a fortnightly basis and bribe them to start a cycling thread? If you want click bait on NSC, cycling threads are the only way to go (via the cycle path of course).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Unless it isn't.

Interestingly no comment about the six Lycra lads showing no concern for anyone else in your response?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interestingly no comment about the six Lycra lads showing no concern for anyone else in your response?
What a strange thing to say, what do you want me to say to make things better for you?

They wouldn't be there if the job was 'done once - done properly'.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd politely suggest that you haven't actually read any of the above responses. If a cycle lane was truly fit for purpose, you'd be a bloody fool not to use it. Lewes Road is the only decent example of one I can think of and there was a hell of a ruckus when that was built.

Parts of the one beside the A23 aren't too bad........

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
What a strange thing to say, what do you want me to say to make things better for you?

At least acknowledge that this group although choosing, as is their right, to use the road were just a little guilty of having a I'm alright Jack attitude, instead of making all kind of excuses why it is not their fault in their making all the motorist journeys just a little bit more unnecessary slower.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Didn't you once post a succinct summary of every possible argument on a cycling thread, thus negating the need for anyone to ever have this binfest again?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The path between Woodingdean and Falmer shouldn't be described as a cycle path, it isn't. It's a foot path. Mountain bikers can use it no problem but road bikes would struggle. If it was intended to be a cycle path, it would have been properly laid using tarmac, rather than the rocks and stones which line the path.

In a way it's similar to the foot path leading up to the Devil's Dyke, I wouldn't consider that suitable for road bikes either because of the surface.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here