Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Promotion to the PL was worth £200M, or so we kept being reminded.....

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
We did spend a good chunk of money in the summer but I think the only signings we can agree on that have proven to be good deals are Groß and Ryan.

Pröpper has good technique but is more suited to an attacking role, and therefore isn't much of an upgrade, if at all, on Kayal in a two-man midfield. Too flakey to play in his current position as well in my opinion. Hasn't even had a chance to play further forward.

Izquierdo has looked good in patches but isn't being allowed to play his natural attacking game and looks very pissed off about it. Took ages for him to get a start as well.

Suttner has looked good of late after a bit of a slow start but has been rotated far too often to really get going, with the inferior Bong getting in ahead of him at random.

Schelotto should've started yesterday after doing well recently but fell victim to rotation again for Bruno, despite him being appalling of late. Originally only given a chance playing out of position.

Brown didn't go according to plan, obviously. Played out of position for 10 mins at a time and also looked pissed off throughout his whole spell

So really, I'd say the problem has been that we haven't used our new signings in the right manner and many haven't been given the chance to settle in properly with regular appearances, which begs the question of why we signed them at all considering they don't seem to fit the system CH wants to play. None of them look like bad players, just looks like they've been mismanaged and used in the wrong way to me.

IMHO this is probably the most accurate and sensible post since promotion day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
And are you suggesting he risks the club’s future by selling to rich foreign investors, just so we can stay in the PL?

NO.

yet we need to stay in the PL, or the Amex will see sub 20K crowds back in The Championship, Christ it took long enough for us to get out of the Championship unless anyone has already forgotten the pain endured.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Some of us remember 1979 - 1983 ...... thank god Tony does as well !!!!

He was 8 in 1979!

I know he is a financial genius, but I very much doubt he would have been sat at his school desk working out how much promotion and relegation would affect our balance sheet....or maybe he did.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was 8 in 1979!

I know he is a financial genius, but I very much doubt he would have been sat at his school desk working out how much promotion and relegation would affect our balance sheet....or maybe he did.

I dunno. He's pretty smart.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
We did spend a good chunk of money in the summer but I think the only signings we can agree on that have proven to be good deals are Groß and Ryan.

Pröpper has good technique but is more suited to an attacking role, and therefore isn't much of an upgrade, if at all, on Kayal in a two-man midfield. Too flakey to play in his current position as well in my opinion. Hasn't even had a chance to play further forward.

Izquierdo has looked good in patches but isn't being allowed to play his natural attacking game and looks very pissed off about it. Took ages for him to get a start as well.

Suttner has looked good of late after a bit of a slow start but has been rotated far too often to really get going, with the inferior Bong getting in ahead of him at random.

Schelotto should've started yesterday after doing well recently but fell victim to rotation again for Bruno, despite him being appalling of late. Originally only given a chance playing out of position.

Brown didn't go according to plan, obviously. Played out of position for 10 mins at a time and also looked pissed off throughout his whole spell

So really, I'd say the problem has been that we haven't used our new signings in the right manner and many haven't been given the chance to settle in properly with regular appearances, which begs the question of why we signed them at all considering they don't seem to fit the system CH wants to play. None of them look like bad players, just looks like they've been mismanaged and used in the wrong way to me.

I agree with all of that. Why buy players for certain skills then play them out of position or don't play them or drop them after a decent performance. Word gets round, players watch MOTD and listen to pundits... Not surprised we're having trouble convincing players to join us now. CH must take some responsibility for that?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He was 8 in 1979!

I think you might have missed the point. During that period we spent silly money, particularly on contracts, trying to stay up. It was the catalyst for Archer, Bellotti, Hereford etc. Yet we still have idiots suggesting we should just spend big in hope it keeps us up. Errrr ..... no thanks. If we go down then we go down but we still have a club to support .... we nearly didn't previously.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think you might have missed the point. During that period we spent silly money, particularly on contracts, trying to stay up. It was the catalyst for Archer, Bellotti, Hereford etc. Yet we still have idiots suggesting we should just spend big in hope it keeps us up. Errrr ..... no thanks. If we go down then we go down but we still have a club to support .... we nearly didn't previously.

Oh I see.

Yeah I broadly agree with that. However money is the name of the game these days. Yes it doesn't guarantee you survival unless you are one of the established clubs...I think a lot of it is the skill of the manager...I.e Roy hodgson.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We obviously need someone else in - but I’m getting ever more frustrated by not giving Baldock a chance.

Goal scoring has been our biggest problem this season so I really don’t understand why he isn’t at least given a chance.

Someone like him certainly looked like he was on the pitch on Saturday and on Monday too. Did alright as well.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Oh I see.

Yeah I broadly agree with that. However money is the name of the game these days. Yes it doesn't guarantee you survival unless you are one of the established clubs...I think a lot of it is the skill of the manager...I.e Roy hodgson.

LOL are we talking about the same clueless old duffer who disgraced England at the last World Cup & 2 Euro Championships?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
LOL are we talking about the same clueless old duffer who disgraced England at the last World Cup & 2 Euro Championships?

who has taken a team who were bankers on going down, lost the first 7 matches, worked out what he wanted them to play like, and turned them into a team who are now 12th and looking good to stay up....is that the one you meant?

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Yes, the one who absolutely flopped at England, Liverpool & Fulham to name but a few.

Even Pardew would have got a tune out of the Palace squad.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Adding Zaha would transform any team in the bottom half of the table regardless of anything else the manager did.

Palace were only ever struggling because of Zaha's absence being combined with extremely bizarre team selections and tactics by FDB. They have a very decent first team of players available at the moment built up with multiple years of PL money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here