Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Must be about time to think about targets for 2018 folks.

For me it'll be the following:
* Sub 3:15 marathon time at Brighton to qualify as "good for age" for London in 2019.
* Sub 1:30 Barns Green Half Marathon - well I did it at Windsor so why not!
* Sub 18:30 Parkrun, preferably at Guildford rather than a flat course.
* Sub 1:25 half marathon - I have two shots at this, though the first one is scheduled between my two 20 mile long runs as part of my Brighton training so not really one I can go for it on.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mouth to Mouth marathon yesterday, tough old run that one with a free extra mile or so at 27.4m. Shoreham Scout hut start, 4 miles or up the Downslink to Botolphs, then South Downs Way all the way to Amberley (about 15 miles) before the fairly tedious 8 miles or so along the grassy path beside the Arun down to Littlehampton. Nothing more than OK for me, ran out of gas a bit after about 20 miles so jog/walked from there and finished in 4.40-odd. Weather was pretty manky on the top of the ridge, particularly around Chanctonbury when we were running into the wind in thick fog. Good organisation as always from the Sussex Trail Events crew, also good to see [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at the start (not running :whistle:). On the plus side, means I've done all of the STE 'river runs' having missed this one last year, so now have the full set of medals. Nice collection of tin it is too.

View attachment 91683

Well done fella – good to see you.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Disappointing that the Downland Devil started at 11am, even I'd have been able to make it if I'd known it was delayed an hour! As it was, I chose to have a significant nap instead. Good running [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], good luck for the Mice Pie - cracking event that is, with the reward of a mince pie to look forward to!

I think my year of running is basically at an end now, the weekend of the 16th I'll be in Wellingborough so unless you're happy to move the parkrun duel to this weekend, or the following saturday, my racing for the year is over. I'm going to do the Preston Park parkrun on Christmas Day though - and then kick off 2018 with the Prom/Hove Park double header. My next parkrun will be #49 so I think I'll be doing Christmas Day as my 50th and target my 100th for New Years 2019.

Also, well played [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] for the M2M - at some point I want to complete the Rivers series as well, those medals are outstanding!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Disappointing that the Downland Devil started at 11am, even I'd have been able to make it if I'd known it was delayed an hour! As it was, I chose to have a significant nap instead. Good running [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], good luck for the Mice Pie - cracking event that is, with the reward of a mince pie to look forward to!

I think my year of running is basically at an end now, the weekend of the 16th I'll be in Wellingborough so unless you're happy to move the parkrun duel to this weekend, or the following saturday, my racing for the year is over. I'm going to do the Preston Park parkrun on Christmas Day though - and then kick off 2018 with the Prom/Hove Park double header. My next parkrun will be #49 so I think I'll be doing Christmas Day as my 50th and target my 100th for New Years 2019.

Also, well played [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] for the M2M - at some point I want to complete the Rivers series as well, those medals are outstanding!

I might be around for the 23rd so I'll let you know if I can make a pre-christmas 5k dual.

1000 mile update. I'm currently tracking at 917 for the year so only 83 left to hit that mark for the first time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I might be around for the 23rd so I'll let you know if I can make a pre-christmas 5k dual.

1000 mile update. I'm currently tracking at 917 for the year so only 83 left to hit that mark for the first time.

Any risk you'll be taking on the Christmas Day parkrun around Preston Park?

I'm at 900 miles exactly, so I need to pick up some milage, got to get to the 1k miles for the year having got this close! I'm at 1,961 cycling miles as well, so almost hit the 2k target there too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I'm at 900 miles exactly, so I need to pick up some milage, got to get to the 1k miles for the year having got this close! I'm at 1,961 cycling miles as well, so almost hit the 2k target there too.

Strava sent me an email to tell me I’d reached 1000............................................km

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I'd say highly unlikely, although I'd love to. It wouldn't be worth the grief I'd get for leaving Christmas morning, Christmas Eve I'm planning a long run probably 12 miles + to edge me closer to the 1000 mile mark.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Strava sent me an email to tell me I’d reached 1000............................................km

I got my "Your year on Strava" email yesterday saying I'd done 224km. I've only been using Strava for 6 weeks so I'm extrapolating that to 1941km for the year! :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not for me Big Fella, I'll be seeing what I can do at a parkrun tomorrow but I'm not expecting miracles. I might go back over to Bevendean, depending on the weather and what time I wake up! 99.7 miles required for me this year now so tomorrow will probably include a run to or from the parkrun to boost the overall milage, and then a 10-15mile stretcher on sunday. Next weekend probably won't see too much running so I need to get back into now. I've been doing a lot of work in the gym over the last month or so, to replace the running, so I think that when I begin marathon training I'm going to start from a strong base fitness - but we'll see.

You fancy racing the marathon next year [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]?!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not for me Big Fella, I'll be seeing what I can do at a parkrun tomorrow but I'm not expecting miracles. I might go back over to Bevendean, depending on the weather and what time I wake up! 99.7 miles required for me this year now so tomorrow will probably include a run to or from the parkrun to boost the overall milage, and then a 10-15mile stretcher on sunday. Next weekend probably won't see too much running so I need to get back into now. I've been doing a lot of work in the gym over the last month or so, to replace the running, so I think that when I begin marathon training I'm going to start from a strong base fitness - but we'll see.

You fancy racing the marathon next year [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]?!

I'm taking the 10k option again this year. Enjoyed getting my run over and done with and enjoying the day cheering people on.

I will probably do a few long runs this winter up to 18 miles but running a marathon tends to increase my chances of injury before or after so I'm sticking to half's and below. It is tempting as I'd like to have a crack at a pb again one day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I dragged myself around Hove Park in 20:03 this morning, I got off to a very slow start at the back of the field and couldn't find enough to drag myself to a sub 20 time. I did a fairly heavy calf session so I was a bit knackered from the off but I enjoyed the run and went for an 8 miler afterwards, so I'm up to 911 miles for the year. Getting to 1,000 will be very tough and I might abandon ship in favour of back to back sub 20 parkruns on New Years Day.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just got a call to arms from my old Triathlon rival. A Sprint and Olympic challenge for next year. A refusal to compete will count as a loss. So a heavy winter training bias on cycling and swimming and a 9" mile pace sub 4 hour Brighton Marathon plan.

When we agree venues any other entrants? Come on [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], it will be worth getting up for.......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice easy parkrun at Hove Park yesterday, didn't find my mojo while I was there, unfortunately. Kinda glad I didn't sign up for Mince Pie now – gonna be a bit slippery in places...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just got a call to arms from my old Triathlon rival. A Sprint and Olympic challenge for next year. A refusal to compete will count as a loss. So a heavy winter training bias on cycling and swimming and a 9" mile pace sub 4 hour Brighton Marathon plan.

When we agree venues any other entrants? Come on [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], it will be worth getting up for.......

When are where? I do fancy a triathlon, I might be doing the running leg of a tri on the Isle of Man with some folks there which could be good. We've got a secret weapon in the lake but our cyclist is probably the weakest link!

Nice easy parkrun at Hove Park yesterday, didn't find my mojo while I was there, unfortunately. Kinda glad I didn't sign up for Mince Pie now – gonna be a bit slippery in places...

I didn't see you, I stuck around for a while before going for an 8 miler towards the Downs.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Mince Pie this morning was nothing short of brutal. Cross winds that took your legs away, very muddy - fortunately I made a late decision to wear trail shoes- and some parts of the course were just one big puddle causing me to turn an ankle in one and nearly drop out. Managed to run through the pain and finished in around 1:24. I have never run in such tough conditions - far worse than two years ago - it really was pretty unpleasant at times - there were times where the wind was behnd you that you had to slow down because you felt out of control! I guess these are the ones you remember!
[MENTION=12396]Seaford by the sea[/MENTION] - big, big thanks to all the marshals - it was tough enough running it - how some of the marshals lasted on the exposed parts of the course was miraculous. Please pass on my appreciation and sorry did n't see you but there again I couldn't open my eyes on some parts of the course!!!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Mince Pie this morning was nothing short of brutal. Cross winds that took your legs away, very muddy - fortunately I made a late decision to wear trail shoes- and some parts of the course were just one big puddle causing me to turn an ankle in one and nearly drop out. Managed to run through the pain and finished in around 1:24. I have never run in such tough conditions - far worse than two years ago - it really was pretty unpleasant at times - there were times where the wind was behnd you that you had to slow down because you felt out of control! I guess these are the ones you remember!
[MENTION=12396]Seaford by the sea[/MENTION] - big, big thanks to all the marshals - it was tough enough running it - how some of the marshals lasted on the exposed parts of the course was miraculous. Please pass on my appreciation and sorry did n't see you but there again I couldn't open my eyes on some parts of the course!!!!

I’ made it round safe which was my only objective with conditions so dreadful and only wearing road shoes.

You definitely needed a sense of humour as there were times the wind was so powerful you could barely travel forward.

I just about managed to stay upright throughout but was reduced to a fast walk on the big downhill section.

Then at Saltdean Football club went through a knee deep puddle x2 which was freezing.

The force of the wind blew you up the hill which was nice and a nice downhill finish with the wind meant I made some time up and finished in 1:10:37 according to my watch which gave me 15th position.

How the winner finished in 58 minutes, god only knows he was almost 7 minutes ahead of 2nd.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here