Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hasn't had a great record in the last few seasons:

2011–2013 Swansea City 54 (15)
2013– Sunderland 13 (0)
2013–2014 → Hull City (loan) 18 (1)
2014 → Middlesbrough (loan) 18 (6)

Brentford are signing Danny Graham on loan. Surely he is exactly the kind of player we should be looking at?

He's not up to the Premier League but 1 in 3 at Boro last season is a better ratio than any of our strikers.

Even if we went in for him, he'd probably choose Brentford like Odubajo did.

So we are talking about a striker with a 1 in 3 strike rate at Boro last season in the Championship because we are unhappy we have a player with a strike rate of 1 in 3 last season (but it was at Struggling Barnsley in Chris O'grady (15 goals in 43 games) which is surely a more impressive feat)

If we were to sign Graham, how long before he would be deemed League 1 standard, not up to it, etc......

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So we are talking about a striker with a 1 in 3 strike rate at Boro last season in the Championship because we are unhappy we have a player with a strike rate of 1 in 3 last season (but it was at Struggling Barnsley in Chris O'grady (15 goals in 43 games) which is surely a more impressive feat)

If we were to sign Graham, how long before he would be deemed League 1 standard, not up to it, etc......

Not unless O'Grady should have been a 2 in 5 striker, but failed to finish the chances put in front of him. Barnsley went down for a reason last season. Perhaps O'Grady played a part in that?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I've never understood why we don't go for more obvious loanees such as Holt, Graham, Becchio etc and instead keep going for foreigners like Colonga this time, Rodriguez last season.

This especially as they are SHORT TERM loans so there is no risk if they turn out to be shit.

But then Burke knows best OBVIOUSLY.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Another one missed.....

Could it be salary demands?

No interest on our part?

Whatever happens IMO Graham would have been ideal.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not unless O'Grady should have been a 2 in 5 striker, but failed to finish the chances put in front of him. Barnsley went down for a reason last season. Perhaps O'Grady played a part in that?

And maybe Boro really should have gone up last season and Graham played his part in that by failing to put his chances away. Boro stayed down for a reason, etc....

Easy to speculate and apportion blame isn't it, even if it isn't neccessarily justified.

In all honesty, how many chances has O'grady missed (how many of those were saved, how many were wide and how many were blocked?) i'd hazard a guess that he has had less opportunities than some of our more wilder, shoot from anywhere even if it's a 1000/1 shot of being a goal rather than trying to play our forwards in in good positions midfielders.

I'd be more worried if he was getting a lot of chances and missing them rather than getting nothing to work with.

Re: Paddy's cross which no-one got on the end of against Rotherham, is this just a result of little time together on the practice pitch and in matches and therefore a lack of understanding between the players involved. The cross could have been pulled back for an easy chance of a tap in if the forwards dropped back a bit as Paddy got into position, or they go for a cross if they could guess when he was about to cross it but it looked like they arn't on the same wavelength yet. (hopefully it comes with more playing time) Had they charged in and Paddy pulled the ball back, i'm sure the criticism would have been just as loud against easy boo boy targets.

Are there stats that show who is shooting, (for all our players, not just the forwards) from where on the pitch and how successful they were (ie on target, wide, blocked...)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's not up to the Premier League but 1 in 3 at Boro last season is a better ratio than any of our strikers.QUOTE]

Except for Chris O'Grady who scored 15 in 40... And Sam Baldock who got 25 in 51 (although at a lower level)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We could chuck Diego Costa at Sami Hyypia and we'd still struggle to score up front with the way our team is set up...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And maybe Boro really should have gone up last season and Graham played his part in that by failing to put his chances away. Boro stayed down for a reason, etc....

Easy to speculate and apportion blame isn't it, even if it isn't neccessarily justified.

In all honesty, how many chances has O'grady missed (how many of those were saved, how many were wide and how many were blocked?) i'd hazard a guess that he has had less opportunities than some of our more wilder, shoot from anywhere even if it's a 1000/1 shot of being a goal rather than trying to play our forwards in in good positions midfielders.

I'd be more worried if he was getting a lot of chances and missing them rather than getting nothing to work with.

Re: Paddy's cross which no-one got on the end of against Rotherham, is this just a result of little time together on the practice pitch and in matches and therefore a lack of understanding between the players involved. The cross could have been pulled back for an easy chance of a tap in if the forwards dropped back a bit as Paddy got into position, or they go for a cross if they could guess when he was about to cross it but it looked like they arn't on the same wavelength yet. (hopefully it comes with more playing time) Had they charged in and Paddy pulled the ball back, i'm sure the criticism would have been just as loud against easy boo boy targets.

Are there stats that show who is shooting, (for all our players, not just the forwards) from where on the pitch and how successful they were (ie on target, wide, blocked...)

Couldn't agree more. Danny Graham wouldn't excite me.

To your point, I agree that we need to change the way we are set up. Our strikers play too far apart and seem to be expected to hold the ball up whilst the rest of the team catches up. By this time, any opposition has ten men behind the ball.

All the running at the defence seems to be down to one man - Kaz - and after ten minutes on the pitch the opposition will, if not have control of him, then at least the measure of him.

Unless we are going to play Dunk up front (which wouldn't surprise me given that he's our goal threat), then let's stop hoofing the ball into the 6 yard area from the edges of the box and start playing some through balls.

We can't quibble about getting Graham in given our current strikeforce

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

The Campanologist

Sep 1, 2014
Probably better than Voakes and Barn door Billly from Poyets reign - so yep,another one bites the dust.

That would be the Vokes (not Voakes) that scored 16 goals last season in a team that went up?

Compared to a player who has scored 7 in his last 49 (yes I know a lot of them may have been sub appearances!!) games?

Yeah definitely better.

I'll give you Paynter. Although who wouldn't really?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Yeah, let's whinge about the prospect of proven goal scorers maybe joining us. Anyone would think O'Grady and Baldock hadn't worked out... oh, hang on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here