Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia deserves time by Alan Mullery.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Now Mullery chips in

Brighton and Hove Albion manager Sami Hyypia deserves more time to turn around the team's fortunes, according to ex-Seagulls boss Alan Mullery.
Saturday's defeat by Middlesbrough was Albion's eighth straight Championship game without a win, leaving them just one point above the relegation zone.
Mullery told BBC Sussex: "It's very early in the season and we've had a lot of changes in personnel.
"We're not far away from improving and starting to win games."
Brighton's Championship record this season
Played: 12
Lost: Five
Won: Two
Goals for: 11
Drawn: Five
Goals against: 14
Former England midfielder Mullery, who managed the Seagulls between 1976 and 1981, and again in 1986-87, now acts as a club ambassador at The Amex Stadium.
He continued: "We haven't gelled completely. There's still question marks over how players are going to play."
Former Liverpool captain Hyypia was appointed Brighton boss in June and has had to rebuild the squad following last season's loss against Derby County in the Championship play-off semi-finals.
Goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak, midfielders Andrea Orlandi and David Lopez, and forwards Will Hoskins and David Rodriguez were among those released, while striker Leonardo Ulloa was sold to Leicester City for £8m.
Former Albion defender Gary Chivers, who made more than 200 appearances for the club, also said the Finn, who had previously managed Bayer Leverkusen in Germany, should be given more time.
"People are saying about changing the manager, but I think we have got to stay with him," said Chivers.
"He's been in the job, what is it, four or five months? It's no good changing your manager, otherwise the new manager will come in and be faced with the same problems, bringing all these players in - let's just be settled, let's give him a bit of time."
Albion travel to Huddersfield on Tuesday night, before facing Rotherham at home next Saturday.
sorry disagree with the legend who is alan mullery

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My reasoning for making AM no 2 is that at 72 years old he is not going to put on a tracksuit again and would leave that to Sami and NJ but his knowledge would be invaluable in helping and relieving some of the pressure on SH. Sir Alex was still managing the top club in Britain at 71so age isnt a barrier if the mind is alert, and football wise I would say AM still has a very alert mind to help out for the rest of this season.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
My reasoning for making AM no 2 is that at 72 years old he is not going to put on a tracksuit again and would leave that to Sami and NJ but his knowledge would be invaluable in helping and relieving some of the pressure on SH. Sir Alex was still managing the top club in Britain at 71so age isnt a barrier if the mind is alert, and football wise I would say AM still has a very alert mind to help out for the rest of this season.

oh my word ..... one of the craziest suggestions I've heard in a long while!

let's build for the future ....

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
well, I would be in the 'stay' camp if I had seen an iota of promise or potential
in the team - sadly that has not been the case and it ain't going to change unless
there is some form of miracle.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Did Lenny Lawrence get the boot from Bolton with dooogie? He'd be a decent addition to the coaching set up.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I'm all for giving experienced and proven managers time at their new club but Hyypia isn't one of them and I don't see why we keep gambling on them (but could hazard a guess).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's got time.

Maybe until 9:45pm (ish) tonight.

Win or he has to go.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Did Lenny Lawrence get the boot from Bolton with dooogie? He'd be a decent addition to the coaching set up.

How about we get someone in who knows a good player (Chief Scout) to improve the squad, for these guys to coach, instead of some of the sh*te we have brought in for the past two seasons.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suggested that a couple of days ago but was shot down jn flames as he is no good because Bolton sacked him with Douggie. Does not follow though, many managers have been a failure at one club and success at another and vice versa.

Like AM an old experienced head to guide SH while he sorts out the playing tactics etc and could concentrate on that.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Now Mullery chips in

Brighton and Hove Albion manager Sami Hyypia deserves more time to turn around the team's fortunes, according to ex-Seagulls boss Alan Mullery.
Saturday's defeat by Middlesbrough was Albion's eighth straight Championship game without a win, leaving them just one point above the relegation zone.
Mullery told BBC Sussex: "It's very early in the season and we've had a lot of changes in personnel.
"We're not far away from improving and starting to win games."
Brighton's Championship record this season
Played: 12
Lost: Five
Won: Two
Goals for: 11
Drawn: Five
Goals against: 14
Former England midfielder Mullery, who managed the Seagulls between 1976 and 1981, and again in 1986-87, now acts as a club ambassador at The Amex Stadium.
He continued: "We haven't gelled completely. There's still question marks over how players are going to play."
Former Liverpool captain Hyypia was appointed Brighton boss in June and has had to rebuild the squad following last season's loss against Derby County in the Championship play-off semi-finals.
Goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak, midfielders Andrea Orlandi and David Lopez, and forwards Will Hoskins and David Rodriguez were among those released, while striker Leonardo Ulloa was sold to Leicester City for £8m.
Former Albion defender Gary Chivers, who made more than 200 appearances for the club, also said the Finn, who had previously managed Bayer Leverkusen in Germany, should be given more time.
"People are saying about changing the manager, but I think we have got to stay with him," said Chivers.
"He's been in the job, what is it, four or five months? It's no good changing your manager, otherwise the new manager will come in and be faced with the same problems, bringing all these players in - let's just be settled, let's give him a bit of time."
Albion travel to Huddersfield on Tuesday night, before facing Rotherham at home next Saturday.

The same Alan Mullery stated in the 1901 lounge before the Blackpool game that we should get a hatful against a club who only had 8 players just before the season. Hmm, Sammi is a fall guy for the strategy followed by the board, lets not forget all that has happened in the last few months. The excuses have already been laid in FFP, injuries, the new manager, but the real issue is with the strategy, a squad on the cheap and totally unrealistic expectations given to us by the chairman and his senior management team. Sammi will be culled, make no error about that and his body language and press releases tell us that he knows this, its now only a mater of time, the question how far will we descend before any changes take place. The advances made in the last three years have been wasted in a matter of months by decisions of those who govern the club, they should be red faced by the fiasco that is playiing out infront of us, this division will be won and lost on the smallest of margins and currently we are on the downside of those margins. Sammi may or may not be a good manager, but he is not the right man for the job at the Amex, the recruitment policy at the club is in freefall, from top to bottom. Currently I see no prospect of us climbing the league only at dropping further, the body language on the pitch and JFC waving his arms around and gesticulating at others were evident for all to see, thers no confidence out there at all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The same Alan Mullery stated in the 1901 lounge before the Blackpool game that we should get a hatful against a club who only had 8 players just before the season. Hmm, Sammi is a fall guy for the strategy followed by the board, lets not forget all that has happened in the last few months. The excuses have already been laid in FFP, injuries, the new manager, but the real issue is with the strategy, a squad on the cheap and totally unrealistic expectations given to us by the chairman and his senior management team. Sammi will be culled, make no error about that and his body language and press releases tell us that he knows this, its now only a mater of time, the question how far will we descend before any changes take place. The advances made in the last three years have been wasted in a matter of months by decisions of those who govern the club, they should be red faced by the fiasco that is playiing out infront of us, this division will be won and lost on the smallest of margins and currently we are on the downside of those margins. Sammi may or may not be a good manager, but he is not the right man for the job at the Amex, the recruitment policy at the club is in freefall, from top to bottom. Currently I see no prospect of us climbing the league only at dropping further, the body language on the pitch and JFC waving his arms around and gesticulating at others were evident for all to see, thers no confidence out there at all.

True but that can all change with the stroke of a pen and a kick up the arse.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Several reasons. Give the guy a chance to get a settled team, a decent forward rather than the sub-standard ones he currently has at his disposal.

Furthermore, a fourth manager at The Amex? FFS. Going through all that palava again, give the new guy 2 weeks with existing sub-standard players then sack him. Start again.

This rebuilding was NEVER going to happen overnight, 2 years is a minimum to get players and a system in place.

I do not want our club to become a laughing stock.

Aside from that, no reason really.

What About

Our tactics are predictable

There is no change in strategy on the pitch to reflect what is happening during the game

The REVOLUTIONARY system of pushing up your full backs is not working

His midfield create very little opportunities for themselves or the strikers

The players are not motivated and very low on confidence

We're not scoring goals, but conceeding soft ones

We're not winning games and slipping into the relegation zone

His being sacked will provide a short respite for the board who despite taking their time selected the wrong man in pursuit of their aims of driving down costs without seriously considering the prospect of relegation on the ability of the club to increase its income. Sammi will be a sacrificial lamb for Bloom and Barber, he won't see Christmas.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
What About

Our tactics are predictable

There is no change in strategy on the pitch to reflect what is happening during the game

The REVOLUTIONARY system of pushing up your full backs is not working

His midfield create very little opportunities for themselves or the strikers

The players are not motivated and very low on confidence

We're not scoring goals, but conceeding soft ones

We're not winning games and slipping into the relegation zone

His being sacked will provide a short respite for the board who despite taking their time selected the wrong man in pursuit of their aims of driving down costs without seriously considering the prospect of relegation on the ability of the club to increase its income. Sammi will be a sacrificial lamb for Bloom and Barber, he won't see Christmas.

Que sera sera, however we went through all this in the summer with betting coups, rumours, sightings etc etc yet the guys at the top appointed Sami. We need to improve, and that includes players and management.
Should he go, it will look pretty poorly upon those who appointed him.
Then what, the whole process again, this time next year our loanees are gone, any successful players will move on and the 'new' boss will be getting all of this again.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Que sera sera, however we went through all this in the summer with betting coups, rumours, sightings etc etc yet the guys at the top appointed Sami. We need to improve, and that includes players and management.
Then what, the whole process again, this time next year our loanees are gone, any successful players will move on and the 'new' boss will be getting all of this again.

I do agree, with you, but our current situation needs addressing, him going will not look bad on those who appointed him, although they are totally responsible, he will used as a scapegoat for their lack of due diligence in appointing him.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Unlike the last two seasons I really think that we now only have 1 player, Dunk, that could attract a good fee. We have already sold all our jewels that Gus brought in Noone, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes and Buckley.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How about we get someone in who knows a good player (Chief Scout) to improve the squad, for these guys to coach, instead of some of the sh*te we have brought in for the past two seasons.
Have we actually got a chief scout? If not, we certainly do need a good one!

Re: Alan Mullery - he currently works at The Amex as an Ambassador (whatever that entails), so no reason why he can't chip in with a bit of advice now and again, if that is what all parties want.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is the vote of confidence by proxy only with saying they have confidence. Would suggest that the end is near unless we get a performance tonight and Saturday. I hope we do,but if we don't I hope we don't sit back and see things carry on like this and give a new manager no chance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have we actually got a chief scout? If not, we certainly do need a good one!

Re: Alan Mullery - he currently works at The Amex as an Ambassador (whatever that entails), so no reason why he can't chip in with a bit of advice now and again, if that is what all parties want.

Who would ask his advice SH or TB? What happened to the chief scout who left to manage a club in Spain didnt he come back? Zaga something his name was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here