Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

You're not getting up my nose you sad little man, I genuinely feel sorry for you and your one dimensional world [emoji106]

Awww go and jerk off the next toff you see, you'll enjoy that :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Tories justify their shredding of the NHS by pointing to the marketisation that New Labour introduced and Andy Burnham has since apologised for as minister at the time. Sorry my friend we need to give people a better choice than Tories or Tories-lite

Shredding? Do you have any evidence to back up your myopic view?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You actually fail to grasp intellectually how divided and chaotic the Tories are on Europe and how it could rip them apart at any moment, as it has done in recent history.

the Tory split is well known as it has been for a couple of decades. they have made their peace with it, in as far as they would rather hold their nose and hold power, than surrender to the opposition on this issue. it would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for them to abandon May and abandon government before 2020. and on the current time table Brexit has concluded by then, so where does Corbyn get to save the nation, while appeasing his new found problem child of left-wing anti-EU voters? the Labour split on Europe is more raw and challenges ideologies of party, maybe you cant see them from the inside, or just in denial.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You actually fail to grasp intellectually how divided and chaotic the Tories are on Europe and how it could rip them apart at any moment, as it has done in recent history.

The referendum has resolved that, apart from Ken Clarke and a very few Remoanians.

the Tory split is well known as it has been for a couple of decades. they have made their peace with it, in as far as they would rather hold their nose and hold power, than surrender to the opposition on this issue. it would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for them to abandon May and abandon government before 2020. and on the current time table Brexit has concluded by then, so where does Corbyn get to save the nation, while appeasing his new found problem child of left-wing anti-EU voters? the Labour split on Europe is more raw and challenges ideologies of party, maybe you cant see them from the inside, or just in denial.

If Labour were split on Europe I would say so - for all my faults I'm a plain speaker (we are split on Trident but Corbyn is going to swallow that). In fact Europe is one of the things that unites Labour on principle, which is maximum access to single market AND preparedness to take consequences of that in greater free movement.

Now the Tories on the other hand are split down the middle between the Pollyannas who think there will be no economic damage from hard Brexit (looks like that's your view tho you won't state plainly) and the realists who know it is going to throw us back into recession again. The unraveling of this alliance of convenience as companies now make their investment decisions against the UK will define British politics over the next two years

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If Labour were split on Europe I would say so - for all my faults I'm a plain speaker (we are split on Trident but Corbyn is going to swallow that). In fact Europe is one of the things that unites Labour on principle, which is maximum access to single market AND preparedness to take consequences of that in greater free movement.

Now the Tories on the other hand are split down the middle between the Pollyannas who think there will be no economic damage from hard Brexit (looks like that's your view tho you won't state plainly) and the realists who know it is going to throw us back into recession again. The unraveling of this alliance of convenience as companies now make their investment decisions against the UK will define British politics over the next two years

And you are expecting this to save labour?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Now the Tories on the other hand are split down the middle between the Pollyannas who think there will be no economic damage from hard Brexit (looks like that's your view tho you won't state plainly)

as much as you'd like to drag this into personal insults, its not really about me. its about Corbyn and how he is supposed to be the practical alternative to Brexit. claiming that Europe unites Labour is comical a week after scores of the PLP voted against the party line, and front bench resignations.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Tories justify their shredding of the NHS by pointing to the marketisation that New Labour introduced and Andy Burnham has since apologised for as minister at the time. Sorry my friend we need to give people a better choice than Tories or Tories-lite

Tory lite? Eyes down for a Momentum buzz phrase full house.

That would be the same Labour government that invested in public services, implemented Sure Start, brought in a minimum wage, massive decreased homelessness and heroically reduced child poverty.

In the meantime our hero Jeremy was making the tea for Tony Benn, apologising to Gerry Adams and attending Hugo Chavez fan club meetings.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014

What good is this hypothetical principle, when in reality the inter-Labour nashing from the recent votes in the HoC makes them look anything but united over Europe to the public.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe building a broader-based coalition to fight May? This would of course involve some compromise which many on the left will present as weakness. However if you really wish to see an end to austerity and not see us sleepwalking into hard Brexit you would look for the option most likely to bring some results not the one which allows you to feel most pleased with yourself.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Conservatives have done their usual Party piece of pulling together at the right moment and looking united. In defence of Corbyn there was no easy way to lead Labour in the last few weeks with the A50 vote but suddenly taking an interest in party discipline after 35 years wasn't the way forward.

The next fault line in British politics is the axis between business wanting immigration and immigration control. That might be a little trickier for the Conservatives to swallow.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Apparently this is really happening...

https://order-order.com/2017/02/14/...ane-abbott-want-take-back-control-ukip-areas/

"John McDonnell and Diane Abbott are to head to Sunderland and Barnsley as part of a new series of Labour events aiming to “Take Back Control” of “UKIP areas”. Momentum’s “The World Transformed” hipster Corbynistas will be travelling up to Sunderland in April to dispel the idea, in their words, that “every remain voter is part of a croissant munching metropolitan elite”. Subsequent events will be held in Barnsley, Bradford and Dagenham."

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Apparently this is really happening...

https://order-order.com/2017/02/14/...ane-abbott-want-take-back-control-ukip-areas/

"John McDonnell and Diane Abbott are to head to Sunderland and Barnsley as part of a new series of Labour events aiming to “Take Back Control” of “UKIP areas”. Momentum’s “The World Transformed” hipster Corbynistas will be travelling up to Sunderland in April to dispel the idea, in their words, that “every remain voter is part of a croissant munching metropolitan elite”. Subsequent events will be held in Barnsley, Bradford and Dagenham."

I am surprised Diane Abbott is aware of anything north of Tottenham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
More BREXIT chaos, gloom and doom.... oh wait..

http://linkis.com/UYxNV

"Investors, who only a short time ago saw Brexit as the beginning of a chaotic continuum which will result in populist uprisings across the West, are now reconsidering their view.

Take the last week, for example. Sterling, which was so volatile for most of 2016, has partially recovered and been pretty steady at $1.25 since the end of January. The FTSE 100 continues to hover at near-record levels.

Markets are reflecting what is happening on the ground. Judging by data from the Office for National Statistics, there are signs that the long-awaited rebalancing of the economy is underway. Manufacturing production rose by 4 per cent on an annual basis in December, a near six-year high."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here