Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Saturday's game potentially season defining?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nowhere I'd say. Two good options in goal, four decent full backs as Pocognoli looked okay at Ipswich and Rosenior is due back, two fantastic centre backs with two decent back up options, four very good options in central midfield once Kayal returns (and Towell could come back and do okay too) and five wingers who all offer something different. A January window of Manu out (recouping what we can of the fee we paid) and a new striker (an upgrade on Baldock although he's scored more this season) would be great.

The other thing we need is to sort out contracts. Stockdale, Bong, Kayal and Stephens are all out of contract this season. While I appreciate that Stephens is unlikely to sign and Kayal may not either, it would be good to get Stockdale and Bong signed up. The form Bong is in, others will be interested in him if we don't

If Manu goes, I think we might need two strikers. Perhaps one proven, one for the future. If Harper had come anywhere near living up to the hype, or if Hambo managed to string eight or ten starts together, and started scoring, I might say something different. But if one of those four strikers gets seriously injured, we're down to three again. And given we play two up-front, and strikers are the positions most regularly rotated during games, we really need five.
We've been really lucky in the first 15 games. I hope we are for the next ten (?) before the transfer window re-opens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Manu goes, I think we might need two strikers. Perhaps one proven, one for the future. If Harper had come anywhere near living up to the hype, or if Hambo managed to string eight or ten starts together, and started scoring, I might say something different. But if one of those four strikers gets seriously injured, we're down to three again. And given we play two up-front, and strikers are the positions most regularly rotated during games, we really need five.
We've been really lucky in the first 15 games. I hope we are for the next ten (?) before the transfer window re-opens.

It's hard not to think if one of the kidz was even remotely close to the first team squad, they'd be there already.
I think we can fairly safely say the squads striker options consist of 3 + the transfer window.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I see your point but we have got five wingers and can use one of them further forward. I think the club will do their utmost to make sure we're not short of players in the second half of the season in January as we were in the play offs last year. We may also try to sign a central midfielder if the Kayal/Stephens contract situation continues.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I find it odd that a Norwich fan is so keen to come on here and slag off Chris Hughton so regularly on a Brighton fans forum. I think I'd focus more on your own club and their current manager at the moment.

The fact is Alex Neil didn't get sacked for taking you down. Hughton got sacked when you weren't actually relegated. Either way it does seem double standards and the timing was very bad. However, it's old news and while people are commenting on it on here, I'm not sure why you feel the need to argue about it on another team's forum.

Not slagging him off - was correcting someone who isn't a Brighton fan about the comparison with Alex Neil. Only a few days ago was fact checking his made up stories. I'd say you and Newcastle are pretty much certs for promotion now and well done yesterday. Promotion to the premier league is very sweet

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What's with all the bold?

Can't you write normally?

Anyway, both managers inherited teams, though for Alex Neil one that was underperforming and needed turning around which is why the previous manager left and wasn't poached. I was actually trying to be kind about Hughton's impact as it was a decent 10 game run and the rest of the time garbage. But as I said Prem very different to the champ and both managers struggled averaging under a point per game in the relegation seasons.

Alex Neil's record wasn't a lot worse at all but this isn't the first time you've invented history. He did just as bad with his own squad in the Prem and has now totally lost it though he is still 4th thanks to 7 wins from 7 vs the bottom 8 teams.

The squad argument is again a nonsense as you could say the same about their Amex meeting 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't really call getting relegated building a squad as that's when players want to leave and you're trying to reassemble. The players clearly don't care too much now under him which is what happens when a manager gets stale and the players lose respect.

Neil will be gone soon anyway. Let's be honest he's just not a good manager.

Complete and utter shambles yesterday, both individually and as a team. With the squad he has, plus the money spent (just how much was Pritchard and what's he being paid ?) and the parachute payments Norwich should be walking this league with Newcastle.

A captain who was terrible, yet blamed his team mates afterwards for not trying. (See his part in goal number 5)plus players who want out.

Lucky if they make the play offs if they keep Neil.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I see your point but we have got five wingers and can use one of them further forward. I think the club will do their utmost to make sure we're not short of players in the second half of the season in January as we were in the play offs last year. We may also try to sign a central midfielder if the Kayal/Stephens contract situation continues.

I'm going to disagree with you now (although I do recognise that you've qualified this suggestion): we don't need another CM in January. That's just eating up wages, which could go on another striker. Our recruitment team is good enough, and we'll also act quickly if Stephens and Kayal run down their contracts.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not slagging him off - was correcting someone who isn't a Brighton fan about the comparison with Alex Neil. Only a few days ago was fact checking his made up stories. I'd say you and Newcastle are pretty much certs for promotion now and well done yesterday. Promotion to the premier league is very sweet

Far too early for that. You'll be up there with the squad you've got. Sort out your defence and you'll be fine.

Will Neil go now or do you think he can turn it round?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm going to disagree with you now (although I do recognise that you've qualified this suggestion): we don't need another CM in January. That's just eating up wages, which could go on another striker. Our recruitment team is good enough, and we'll also act quickly if Stephens and Kayal run down their contracts.

Fair point. And if we don't go up, we'll have Norwood and probably keep Sidwell so will have options. Do you think we need anyone except two strikers in January?

Jimmy Grimble

Be interested to see how CH/the club view Maguire-Drew. Could he potentially be 4th choice striker?

As for season defining, I actually think the nature of the game and the scoreline meant it wasn't. A hard-fought 1-0 or 2-1 with Norwich actually giving us a game would probably have been more defining. Not that I'm complaining[emoji3]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair point. And if we don't go up, we'll have Norwood and probably keep Sidwell so will have options. Do you think we need anyone except two strikers in January?

No. But on CMs, Kayal's injury might be somewhat of a blessing. It gives him plenty of time to reflect on just how much of the past x seasons he's been out injured, and think that might prompt him to sign a new contract. With Stephens, I suspect we'll need to get promoted to keep hold of him. Otherwise, he'll either go to a (very) low Prem club, or take for instance Sunderland's higher wages.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Far too early for that. You'll be up there with the squad you've got. Sort out your defence and you'll be fine.

Will Neil go now or do you think he can turn it round?

I think he'll be gone soon with not too many easy fixtures in the next 2 months

Defence is the 3rd worst in the division, usually when the players stop trying it's only a matter of time

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We may well try and get another central midfielder in - perhaps a younger one with potential - given that Ince is in court in February on a serious charge, and his future beyond that is uncertain.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Norwich and Sheffield away were what i like to call "gateway" games,far from season defining,but must be opened if we are to seriously progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here