Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Used car haggling

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
:lol: German cars have had their time, but people won't admit it, generally over priced and with no benefit over other brands. Sadly too many people buy cars purely because of the badge on the front. Other manufacturers offer far greater warranty, cheaper servicing etc but for some people having the German badge on the front is the most important thing. My brother is one of these people, for this he's an idiot.

Agreed, i had one Merc, the electrics were poor, bulbs kept going out, always something going wrong with the computer, expensive for parts. Never again.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
As a garage owner and talking from experience, I'd most definitely dispute that claim, despite what the figures may claim.
By far the most common cars in for repair are French, Citroen and Peugeot's most commonly but a fair few Renaults too.

Agreed, I work at a motor factor - our biggest parts stock holding is for all things French.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thanks, I'll have a read in a bit.

I've been wondering why I'm being somewhat wet about this, and it's finally occurred to me.

In nearly 30 years of driving I've only owned 6 cars.

First bought with an inheritance.
Followed by 3 cash only 'dogs'.
The next after a remortgage (ah those were the days)

Then after 10+ years of not owning a car my current one was bought with a little bit of the cash left over after combining mortgages.

So it turns out I've never had a car loan, which I guess isn't that surprising as 'financing' scares me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can I be so bold and ask for some 'fatherly' financial advise.

My car is big, expensive, thristy & little used. With no value.
If I got something (anything) smaller, cheap and economical, it would pretty much pay for itself.

My problem is not knowing the best way to finance a 'new' car.
For arguments sake lets say to a maximum of £5k.

I thought you cycled EVERYWHERE?! A little piece of me has died inside today.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought you cycled EVERYWHERE?! A little piece of me has died inside today.
I do, in 2015 I cycled 5,235 miles and drove for 3,800 miles. (many of them to The Bridge car park)

Which is why I could do with off loading a 13 year old, 2 litre, petrol, estate car that's seen considerably better days.
For something that doesn't drink like Oliver Read and can be taxed for a year with less than I pay in one month.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I am, of course, talking about new cars. But I'd never buy a French one either. Japanese/Korean all the way for me.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32332210

That's the daftest way of calculating reliable. A cars durability should be determined more than reliability. On cheaper cars, especially French, things need replacing at lower mileage than others. That's why they say if you run to manufacturers specifications, it's will do X mileage. But the specifications are, Cam belt 60K, fuel filter 20k, Fuel pump 30k, head gasket 80k band so on and so on. Not to mention faulty sensors that need replacing after 40k.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You know German cars have overtaken French ones as the most unreliable in Europe? !

Be wary of statistics - Several years back, I once asked a long-timer AA man what car he got called out to the most often.
Answer Vaxhauls, specifically Vectras. He quickly added that was because they were the most common car on the road so logically they were more about that could breakdown.

I suspect German sales are way higher than French [can't be bothered to look it up] so statistically there are far more on the road, so numbers will be higher.

I've owned VW's for the last 10 years and cannot fault relibility.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Be wary of statistics - Several years back, I once asked a long-timer AA man what car he got called out to the most often.
Answer Vaxhauls, specifically Vectras. He quickly added that was because they were the most common car on the road so logically they were more about that could breakdown.

I suspect German sales are way higher than French [can't be bothered to look it up] so statistically there are far more on the road, so numbers will be higher.

I've owned VW's for the last 10 years and cannot fault relibility.
My brother worked for Westbourne Motors for a while and he said the vehicle he recovered most often were those awful faux Mini's.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My brother worked for Westbourne Motors for a while and he said the vehicle he recovered most often were those awful faux Mini's.

Probably because some daft bint has rammed it into a wall / kerb / other car though? It's only daft bints who drive those abominations.......... isn't it? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jeeez, I know I'm not, and never have been, Mr Car.

But inspired by this thread and (what turned out to be unfounded, (god bless you Honda)) concerns about last weeks MOT, I've had a little look at Autotrader.

I've spent the last 5 minutes looking favourably at a Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI PD Classic 5dr :facepalm:

I'm going back to looking at bikes, at least there I can be knowledgeable and pretend I'm not that DULL.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Don't forget to kick the tyres, that will tell you all you need to know as a buyer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here