Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Used car haggling

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Moreso with modern diesels, down to diesel particulate filters getting blocked if the car isn't run long enough at full operating temperature on a regular basis :)

True, Diesel engines (as long as they are good, Merc, BMW etc Can go on forever, but need a regular run so it's no good for urban only driving. My Merc 2006 c200 sport has done 180k and drives beautifuly...so far (touch wood). I am expecting it to get to at least 250k before any major problems...(touching more wood). You won't get that sort of longevity out of a crappy petrol motor, or any crappy engine for that matter.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
True, Diesel engines (as long as they are good, Merc, BMW etc Can go on forever, but need a regular run so it's no good for urban only driving. My Merc 2006 c200 sport has done 180k and drives beautifuly...so far (touch wood). I am expecting it to get to at least 250k before any major problems...(touching more wood). You won't get that sort of longevity out of a crappy petrol motor, or any crappy engine for that matter.

The Civic which got written off this week was a 2006 and was at over 160k and the engine was still running without any issues at all. It was a 1.8 petrol.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
Or take out there crappy finance to get a better discount on the car because they think there earning on the finance

Change your mind within the 14 day cooling off period on the loan and pay the finance off
They don't like it but it's all legal and above board

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
can one of you knowledgeable car types give me some advice.

currently looking for a 2nd hand car, prob no more than a couple of years old.
I really don’t do many miles perhaps 6 or 7 thou a year and much of it around town.

I have been told that I should only consider petrol cars and will get myself in all sorts of trouble with a diesel a few years down the line.
Is this correct? I am sort of half aware behind some of this reasoning but does this thinking still apply to modern diesels

My mate owns a couple of garages and i was talking to him about around town driving and diesel cars. I have a diesel and just lately have been doing short trips.
He said that he gets problems with diesels that do short journeys because the turbo gets blocked. When you get out of town on a decent stretch like the A27 and get up to about 60 the sh1t will be cleared out via the exhaust, a sort of puff out the back, you won't notice it but it happens. So if you make sure you take the car for a spin, get it cleared out. He also advised me to have an oil change every 6,000 miles, the service is every 12000. No problems for me and very good mileage, certainly better than petrol cars on consumption.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My mate owns a couple of garages and i was talking to him about around town driving and diesel cars. I have a diesel and just lately have been doing short trips.
He said that he gets problems with diesels that do short journeys because the turbo gets blocked. When you get out of town on a decent stretch like the A27 and get up to about 60 the sh1t will be cleared out via the exhaust, a sort of puff out the back, you won't notice it but it happens. So if you make sure you take the car for a spin, get it cleared out. He also advised me to have an oil change every 6,000 miles, the service is every 12000. No problems for me and very good mileage, certainly better than petrol cars on consumption.

We sell dozens of turbos, biggest reason for failure is oil starvation, usually caused by combination of incorrect oil and not following manufacturers service schedule. The super common 1.6hdi in Citroen, Peugeot, ford, Volvo and lots more is the single biggest culprit.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

But what constitutes taking it for a spin and how often?

can find the longest trips i might do over a long period is the trip down to the Amex from Worthing,i cant see once every two weeks is taking it for a run.
think i will play safe and go for a petrol which is a shame as a one of the cars i really like only do diesel in the higher spec

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
But what constitutes taking it for a spin and how often?

can find the longest trips i might do over a long period is the trip down to the Amex from Worthing,i cant see once every two weeks is taking it for a run.
think i will play safe and go for a petrol which is a shame as a one of the cars i really like only do diesel in the higher spec

You just have to get it up to speed to clear it. Doesn't need a long run. The folk that just go from house to school, or from house to work local and hardly get above 30mph, and do that for weeks on end. In town it is all stop start.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
we have a 2007 Nissan x-trail, the wife does about 8 miles a day using it to and from work. It has a diesel particle filter light on the dash that comes on about about every 4 -5 weeks or so to say its starting to block up. We live in Haywards Heath so when the light comes on I go up the A23 to Crawley or down to Brighton and back which clears is for another month or so. If your go from Worthing to the Amex that should easily be far enough to get the filter hot enough to clear it out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Or take out there crappy finance to get a better discount on the car because they think there earning on the finance

Change your mind within the 14 day cooling off period on the loan and pay the finance off
They don't like it but it's all legal and above board

Now that is genius. I wish I'd thought of this previously. I'm definitely doing that next time. Ta.

I'm assuming there's no financial penalty involved - can't imagine there is...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What Car and Autotrader will do free valuations. They vary, but it's more scientific that guessing how much a dealer is trying to mark up and stiff you over and above the average.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

You know German cars have overtaken French ones as the most unreliable in Europe? !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can I be so bold and ask for some 'fatherly' financial advise.

My car is big, expensive, thristy & little used. With no value.
If I got something (anything) smaller, cheap and economical, it would pretty much pay for itself.

My problem is not knowing the best way to finance a 'new' car.
For arguments sake lets say to a maximum of £5k.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You know German cars have overtaken French ones as the most unreliable in Europe? !

:lol: German cars have had their time, but people won't admit it, generally over priced and with no benefit over other brands. Sadly too many people buy cars purely because of the badge on the front. Other manufacturers offer far greater warranty, cheaper servicing etc but for some people having the German badge on the front is the most important thing. My brother is one of these people, for this he's an idiot.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
As a garage owner and talking from experience, I'd most definitely dispute that claim, despite what the figures may claim.
By far the most common cars in for repair are French, Citroen and Peugeot's most commonly but a fair few Renaults too.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
As a garage owner and talking from experience, I'd most definitely dispute that claim, despite what the figures may claim.
By far the most common cars in for repair are French, Citroen and Peugeot's most commonly but a fair few Renaults too.

Me Too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here