Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the obsession with the John Lewis Xmas advert?!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Be cynical all you want but I rather like them.

Firstly, each year the final gift (if it is ever specified) is something relatively simple but an item that required some thought and affection on the part of the sender. They're tapping into the pleasure derived from giving rather than receiving a massive 4K TV or something similar.

Secondly, I wish more companies were run like John Lewis, whose staff receive an annual bonus assuming they have turned a profit in the preceding year.

I gather that the operation is run more along corporate lines these days and that working for "The Partnership" is not what it once was but it's still a model better than most.

Good luck to them. The OP is right in that it is over-hyped but so's the whole season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They were talking about it with excitement on Radio 5 this morning - and now I'm in an office where 6 people are huddled round a Mac watching it. 'I'm getting goose bumps' was just one comment.

Get a grip, it's a TV ad!!!!! If this is something that people actually look forward to each Xmas, society is in a sorry state! (and I love Xmas, in case you thought I didn't)

EDIT: Someone just said 'I was crying so much'.....:facepalm:

I totally agree with you, I heard the same feature on Radio Five Live and thought it was dumbing-down at its worst.

Not only is it NOT news but the BBC have compounded their folly by being guilty of talking about Christmas 7 weeks early. I can only assume that a story about shopping is targeted to appeal to mums on the school run. I say that because I don't know one bloke who would be in the slightest bit interested about John Lewis ads.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Life was expensive back then by the looks of it but I only ever expected one present, not the sackful kids get today.

Ha ha! You make it sound like the 30's! Was it an empty shoebox you got (Action Man deserter?).

Born 67, and I and everyone else I knew, got a sackful in the 70s and we weren't rolling in it!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's nice to get the odd gift but these days (I don't have kids) Christmas is more about good food and beverages. It certainly never occurs to me to visit JL, even though there is a massive one down the road from me.
JL are quite good adverts though. Tasteful and a bit of thought gone onto them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Why? Why do you love an advert? I HATE adverts, I regard adverts as visual spam, they waste my life. They also make my wife and children want to buy rubbish they don't need.

I find fast-forwarding ads 30x on SkyPlus to be morally uplifting and therapeutic.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Ha ha! You make it sound like the 30's! Was it an empty shoebox you got (Action Man deserter?).

Born 67, and I and everyone else I knew, got a sackful in the 70s and we weren't rolling in it!!

Eeeeh those were the days ha ha. I seriously used to get 1 present from my parents and a smaller one from under the Christmas tree on Boxing day for some reason, and I should bloody be grateful for that because all my dad got was an orange in the bottom of an old sock on Christmas if he was lucky.
Obviously I got others from Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents and grown up sisters who had left home but I was always grateful for all of my presents whether it was just a pen, a selection box or a comic annual.
I don't think we were poor, my dad was just a tight fecker.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Why? Why do you love an advert? I HATE adverts, I regard adverts as visual spam, they waste my life. They also make my wife and children want to buy rubbish they don't need.

I find fast-forwarding ads 30x on SkyPlus to be morally uplifting and therapeutic.

I LOVE this advert and don't think I'll ever get bored of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Well, don't get me wrong - I have no desire to watch these (or any other) ads over and over again, and they will accordingly get the X32 treatment like all others.

In the relative CONTEXT of the adverts we are about to get bombarded with for the next 7 weeks, the JL are pretty much peerless. As said above they are well made and thoughful, and dare one say 'Christmassy' - plenty of others will just be tawdry BUY OUR STUFF! ones.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have to say, I'm completely with [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION]

Adverts are a pain, whether they're on TV, radio, through the door, over the phone, on websites....they're a bloody nuisance. OK they're a necessary evil, but I go out of my way to limit my exposure to them to an absolute bare minimum. That people actually go and actively seek out this pap to watch is quite bewildering.

Has anyone gone onto YouTube to watch this ad - and then sat through an ad to get to it ? Please don't tell me you've done that...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has anyone gone onto YouTube to watch this ad - and then sat through an ad to get to it ? Please don't tell me you've done that...

Haha. that would be quite funny.

On the whole, I don't really notice TV ads, to be honest. I'll make a cup of tea, or be looking at my iPad or whatever, if I can't fast forward them. RADIO ads on the other hand, I find UTTERLY unbearable. Literally unbearable. I can not listen to any commercial radio station.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haha. that would be quite funny.

On the whole, I don't really notice TV ads, to be honest. I'll make a cup of tea, or be looking at my iPad or whatever, if I can't fast forward them. RADIO ads on the other hand, I find UTTERLY unbearable. Literally unbearable. I can not listen to any commercial radio station.

If there's clutter in your gutter get a brush HEDGEHOG
If there's clutter in your gutter don't be daft don't be a nutter

A little part of me died inside just knowing that well enough to type it out

:facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If there's clutter in your gutter don't be daft don't be a nutter

A little part of me died inside just knowing that well enough to type it out

:facepalm:

Good GRIEF.

Radio ads destroy your very soul. Excruciating.

If TalkSport, for example, wasn't full of utterly inane sh1t, fronted by self-promoting semi-literate arsewipes, and pathetic embarrassing callers, I STILL couldn't listen to it, because of the adverts.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I can safely say that Xmas is the time of year I most feel glad to be an expat in Asia.

Don't get me wrong - as a kid it was magical. But I haven't been a kid for a long time, and it reeks of all that's wrong these days.

Yep - if it was just a time to have a few days off work and enjoy some better than average food/drink with friends and family and giving a few presents and feeling a bit warm inside then all good.

But it's not about that at all now is it? It's an utter commercial gutter **** of tension, obligation and profitisation. It feels so much cleaner enjoying xmas without all the bullshit tacked on. I get the holiday without the stress and theirs always skype to dip in and hear about who's being a bad xmassy **** from home!

**** adverts - seriously **** all adverts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here