Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Local Election results - UKIP smashing it

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Councillors who want to cut welfare and cut tax for the rich, how does that help the man in the street who seem to have voted for them in their thousands?

They might as well want to paint the moon a nice shade of blue, they won't be able to do it from a council seat. They will have local issues to deal with and that is it, and it remains to be seen whether they are any better or any worse than any other party's councillors. I suspect they will be much of a muchness and will tend to support conservative council groups.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I suggest you go and watch last nights Question Time and listen to what the Lib Dem MP had to say. He pointed out that the belittling of the views of the people that have decided to vote for UKIP is one of the main reasons UKIP are becoming popular. He also said the only way to combat UKIP was to enter into adult non-name calling debate taking on board the views of UKIP voters.

He must be a racist, misogynist, xenophobic, falicitator then lol

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
They might as well want to paint the moon a nice shade of blue, they won't be able to do it from a council seat. They will have local issues to deal with and that is it, and it remains to be seen whether they are any better or any worse than any other party's councillors. I suspect they will be much of a muchness and will tend to support conservative council groups.

But, as one example, they will be involved planning and local environmental issues, they are climate-change deniers, that is going to effect every council they sit on is it not?
They will be involved in local tax issues so it will make a difference

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
All quite bizarre this. From my seat on the other side of the world I'm looking at a ticker-tape banner on Sky News that shows that of 7,000 seats declared, UKIP have won 160. Why all the fuss? Why all the joy from UKIP supporters?

All quite bizarre this. From my seat on the other side of the world I'm looking at a ticker-tape banner on Sky News that shows that of 7,000 seats declared, UKIP have won 160. Why all the fuss? Why all the joy from UKIP supporters?

Indeed - journalists are fascinated by momentum though, frequently losing sight of the woods from the trees.

David Schneider [MENTION=1785]david[/MENTION]schneider Looks like the only place where UKIP have managed to take overall control is the BBC #Vote2014

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

Part of the reason is there were 2 elections yesterday and if the opinion polls are to be believed on Sunday we could see UKIP getting the most votes of all the parties in the Euro Elections. Pretty big deal.
The UK has had 3 main parties for 100 years and while others have tried not many have managed to achieve as much as UKIP has in the last few months, politically it is a big deal and and a big shift to the right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed - journalists are fascinated by momentum though, frequently losing sight of the woods from the trees.

David Schneider [MENTION=1785]david[/MENTION]schneider Looks like the only place where UKIP have managed to take overall control is the BBC #Vote2014

There go the dastardly BBC again generally being biased. At least if you believe the left. And the right. And conspiracy theorists. And the Mail. Roll on the day this unit of state propaganda, er I mean left wing, er I mean UKIP propaganda is taken over by a nice neutral corporation like Fox and we can all spend our licence fees on Aldi Cava once a month.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But, as one example, they will be involved planning and local environmental issues, they are climate-change deniers, that is going to effect every council they sit on is it not?
They will be involved in local tax issues so it will make a difference

What do you think they are going to do, demand coal fired power stations are built in every borough?
They are people who will have to come to agreement with other people to set budgets and approve plans etc. in the towns they live in or near, they are not going to have any power in any council to ride over the rest of the councillors, and if they did they are not going to be doing anything too outrageous, they are not the bogey man.

Given the level of concern you have about the damage they could do with a few seats on a few councils, I am surprised you did not vote at all.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
What do you think they are going to do, demand coal fired power stations are built in every borough?
They are people who will have to come to agreement with other people to set budgets and approve plans etc. in the towns they live in or near, they are not going to have any power in any council to ride over the rest of the councillors, and if they did they are not going to be doing anything too outrageous, they are not the bogey man.

Given the level of concern you have about the damage they could do with a few seats on a few councils, I am surprised you did not vote at all.

I don't think voting for someone I do not support would have helped reduce the votes for UKIP. I do think making sure people who did vote for UKIP know exactly what they are voting for will reduce the votes for them in the future.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Part of the reason is there were 2 elections yesterday and if the opinion polls are to be believed on Sunday we could see UKIP getting the most votes of all the parties in the Euro Elections. Pretty big deal.
The UK has had 3 main parties for 100 years and while others have tried not many have managed to achieve as much as UKIP has in the last few months, politically it is a big deal and and a big shift to the right.

I don't see the big deal. Few people care about the euro elections. This isn't a big shift to the right, these people have always existed and voted for the right in the tory party, of which there have been and still are substantial numbers.

'Other' has won 394 seats so far and is comfortably trouncing UKIP with its 164 seats.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't see the big deal. Few people care about the euro elections. This isn't a big shift to the right, these people have always existed and voted for the right in the tory party, of which there have been and still are substantial numbers.

'Other' has won 394 seats so far and is comfortably trouncing UKIP with its 164 seats.

Other has got 97 seats.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill

Do you know how many times a UK 4th party has won any kind of (non one off) election in the past 100 years?
How many of those 394 'others' are National Parties fighting seats across the country?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do you know how many times a UK 4th party has won any kind of (non one off) election in the past 100 years?
How many of those 394 'others' are National Parties fighting seats across the country?

where do you get this 394 from ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
UKIP should have opted out of the Euro elections shirley, seeing as how they don't believe in the concept. Voting for UKIP in the Euro elections is like being a turkey and voting for Xmas. Still, it's served a valuable purpose in that it will shake up the two proper parties to get their arses in gear and start paying a bit more attention to the hopes and fears of the electorate, on all sorts of issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here