Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite ever comedian

Jul 7, 2003
Too many favourites to pick a single one. Top list for me would include standup/storytellers :

Dave Allen
Billy Connolly
Dara O'Brian (fantastic on stage)
Jasper Carrot
Micky Flanagan
Always found Mick Miller and Mike Reid funny as well.

Some good shouts there. Allen and Connolly in their pomp were something special based on old albums and videos I have seen. Never saw Carrot live but can still remember some of his albums word for word despite not having heard them for years. I only saw Mike Reid a couple of years before his death and wasn't impressed.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Micky Flanagan. He came to fame late and that act has taken years to get noticed. It will be interesting to see how he kicks on as I did enjoy his last Sky series.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did he ever crack up like Dudley did? I can't recall a single sketch where he got the giggles.

You are joking, of course. Good, but you don't make it into my top 4.

Henning Wehn (seen him several times and have tickets for the upcoming Canterbury show)
Alexei Sayle
Peter Cook
Frankie Boyle

I absolutely loved the Dangerous Brothers and Bottom but your thread wasn't about comedy duos....
And the sublime William S. Burroughs, but he was a raconteur rather than a comedian....

And Chris Morris......

I'll give you my bottom three, too:

Davidson
Starr
Manning

All nasty bullying inadequates. And deeply unfunny.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You are joking, of course. Good, but you don't make it into my top 4.

Henning Wehn (seen him several times and have tickets for the upcoming Canterbury show)
Alexei Sayle
Peter Cook
Frankie Boyle

I absolutely loved the Dangerous Brothers and Bottom but your thread wasn't about comedy duos....
And the sublime William S. Burroughs, but he was a raconteur rather than a comedian....

And Chris Morris......

I'll give you my bottom three, too:

Davidson
Starr
Manning

All nasty bullying inadequates. And deeply unfunny.

I know it's all about opinions but I don't see much difference between Frankie Boyle nowadays and Bernard Manning except for the racism. I watched a few of those Frankie Boyle live shows and he is a terrible bully and very cruel at times. Love him or hate him, Andrew Lawrence got it spot on when he pointed out that in his time Boyle has done jokes about down's syndrome children, the queen giving a blowjob and God knows what but now touts himself as a heavyweight social commentator. He's become like Ricky Gervais.

And Henning Wehn is a bit of a one-trick pony, isn't he? Actually I've sometimes thought of sending him a joke I thought up. A mickey-take of Stan Boardman would be to come on stage at Liverpool and ask "Your grandad chipped my grandad's bomber".

That joke's much funnier in my head than written down. :(

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So many of my favourites have already been mentioned.

I "like" Stewart Lee but I don't find him laugh out loud funny. He's actually got a gag about 'agreeing the f*** out' of his set and I do sit there grinning and nodding. Early Izzard, on the other hand, (think Start Trek phasers set to 'sudden interest in botany' mode era) had me crying with laughter to the point I was almost falling off the chair. Billy Connolly is another one I've always laughed at on the telly and caught live when I can. Went to see the High Horse tour last year and though he's physically losing it thanks to Parkinson's, and has to get the audience to remember words for him now and again it's still like the funniest ever night in the pub with a really amusing mate.

Sketch and film wise nothing beats the Pythons.

Bill Hicks was a genius. So was Tommy Cooper. And finally I love Frankie Boyle, the more outrageous the better IMO.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Steve Coogan - the man is a genius.

Honourable mentions to Peter Kay, Peter Cook, Ronnie Barker and Stewart Lee.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Reeves and Mortimer
Rik Mayall
Bob Monkhouse
Mickey Flanagan
Eddie Murphy (Delirious and Raw stand ups at least)
Jimmy Carr (Before he developed that god awful, fake laugh)
Ricky Gervais

Got tickets to see Greg Davies in a couple of weeks and then got Mickey Flanagan a couple of weeks after that.
Never seen either one of them live so I'm really looking forward to both.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And he was an amateur boxer. Spent so much time on the canvas he was known as 'The Battling Rembrandt'.

Love that nickname! Sid James claimed he was once a boxer but apparently, the only fight he ever had was with a black cab driver in London who made some anti-Semitic comments not knowing that Sid James was Jewish.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not sure I can pick just one.

Depending on my mood, Billy Connolly, Dave Allen, George Carlin, Ronnie Barker, Dara O'Briain and Jasper Carrott could all be in contention.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I know it's all about opinions but I don't see much difference between Frankie Boyle nowadays and Bernard Manning except for the racism. I watched a few of those Frankie Boyle live shows and he is a terrible bully and very cruel at times. Love him or hate him, Andrew Lawrence got it spot on when he pointed out that in his time Boyle has done jokes about down's syndrome children, the queen giving a blowjob and God knows what but now touts himself as a heavyweight social commentator. He's become like Ricky Gervais.

What Gervais and Boyle have in common is active Twitter accounts that you may not agree with, but are in no way dull. When I first started using Twitter I followed a few comedians thinking they would be funny, but who's going to give their best material away free when Cheggers is just going to steal it anyway? So most of their tweets were like "I'm playing Bristol next Tuesday, still a few tickets left #MyTour". Dull. As, Dishwater.

Gervais and Boyle never are, You may not agree with them but they're the social media equivalent of some of the more incendiary posters on here.

Does it invalidate their comedy? Maybe with Gervais. I loved The Office but found Derek dire. But I love Boyle for the same reason I love South Park. He takes the p**s out of EVERYTHING. Nothing is sacred. So there's no p.c. nonsense but nor is one group continually targetted. Manning only had black and asian gags by the end.

Thanks for this thread though. Far more entertaining than our match... :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Jerry Sadowitz.

You are spot on, my friend. I've never laughed so much whenever I've seen him. A total one-off!
Doug Stanhope is pretty good, too. I did see Bill Hicks at the Dome in the early 90s and he was a favourite for a while. Also, having a good think about it, I also loved Dave Allen.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Of the last few years, Paul Foot always cracks me up. Genuinely eccentric rather than laugh out loud but one I would pay money to see.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What Gervais and Boyle have in common is active Twitter accounts that you may not agree with, but are in no way dull. When I first started using Twitter I followed a few comedians thinking they would be funny, but who's going to give their best material away free when Cheggers is just going to steal it anyway? So most of their tweets were like "I'm playing Bristol next Tuesday, still a few tickets left #MyTour". Dull. As, Dishwater.

Gervais and Boyle never are, You may not agree with them but they're the social media equivalent of some of the more incendiary posters on here.

Does it invalidate their comedy? Maybe with Gervais. I loved The Office but found Derek dire. But I love Boyle for the same reason I love South Park. He takes the p**s out of EVERYTHING. Nothing is sacred. So there's no p.c. nonsense but nor is one group continually targetted. Manning only had black and asian gags by the end.

Thanks for this thread though. Far more entertaining than our match... :thumbsup:

I'll happily concede that lots of people think Boyle is funny, he's just not for me but those animal rights memes that Ricky Gervais seems to love are hilarious for all the wrong reasons. Very David Brent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've just remembered Emo Philips. Definitely a one trick pony but the first time you saw him, my God he was funny.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Love that nickname! Sid James claimed he was once a boxer but apparently, the only fight he ever had was with a black cab driver in London who made some anti-Semitic comments not knowing that Sid James was Jewish.

Sid certainly had the look of someone who could look after himself. Les also said he could pull those grotesque faces after having his jaw broken in a boxing match.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Tony Handcock
Eddie Izzard (some time ago when he was really funny, as many have said)
Stewart Lee
Vic and Bob
Partridge
Ricky Gervais for his TV comedy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here