Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food Hygiene "Awards"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No one, but when it's £5 for a fish finger sandwich you'd expect better than a 1*!

To be fair it's more haddock goujon than fish finger...but I see your point.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Wow, Brighton Beer Dispensary at 1 star too. Had fish and chips in there recently, I'm still here.

Oh well eating is cheating, as they say :)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Cellar cleanliness is one of the things that EHO officers check. Receiving a low rating is usually down to poor due diligence documentation and/or blocked/poorly signed fire exits, especially in new businesses. Some places will receive low scores if they go against the food safety act by refusing to adhere to cooking burgers to over 75 degrees.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was talking to an EHO, in Worthing, and asked her when the rumoured privatisation of the Council Health department was going to happen. She told me that it appeared to be off the agenda at the moment, but the dept has to find a 25% cut in budget this year. That equates tov250 grand saving per annum.
Considering that we, as a buisness only see them every 18 months to 2 years, I expect this will increase to 2 1/2 to3 years.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
These ratings aren't really that clear cut.
In my job I regularly see commercial kitchens and it's not totally down to cleaniness.
Prime example was last year when one establishment got a 3, but the kitchen/ovens/worktops/fridges were (and still are) immaculately clean.
However, because the hand basin used for staff to wash their hands, the hot tap was 'too' hot. Also, a small table was partly blocking one of two exits. One strip lamp needed changing.
I saw the report.
The lady that issued the 3 rating eats with colleagues in this place at least twice a week!

Another place I know has a 5, yet the kitchen is a disgrace.
How so? The owner told me that he/she lied about the food records.

Saying that, if somewhere had a 1, I'd avoid it.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
These ratings aren't really that clear cut.
In my job I regularly see commercial kitchens and it's not totally down to cleaniness.
Prime example was last year when one establishment got a 3, but the kitchen/ovens/worktops/fridges were (and still are) immaculately clean.
However, because the hand basin used for staff to wash their hands, the hot tap was 'too' hot. Also, a small table was partly blocking one of two exits. One strip lamp needed changing.
I saw the report.
The lady that issued the 3 rating eats with colleagues in this place at least twice a week!

Another place I know has a 5, yet the kitchen is a disgrace.
How so? The owner told me that he/she lied about the food records.

Saying that, if somewhere had a 1, I'd avoid it.

Just been reading a topic like this on Facebook, some guy in the industry claimed his place had dropped due to a shared basin and hot tap being too hot... The shared basin thing I get, but wouldn't overly fussed to discover, but a hot water tap being too hot? wtf?

Also read that issues with paperwork can lead to low ratings.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Presumably a hot tap being too hot is going to mean people are reluctant to use it to wash hands, therefore use cold and don't get as good a wash. You'd expect a thermostatic valve on a hand washing tap so that no one gets scolded: a basic health and safety / hygiene requirement?

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I fully understand the two posts above.
In the establishment that got 3, there are 3 sinks.
Two are massive new units, one used only for rinsing veg and the other for scrubbing and soaking cooking utensils prior to going through a dishwasher which uses sanitisers.
All cleaning cloths are colour coded and thrown away at the end of the day.
Perfect cleanliness.

Yet the establishment with a 5 has just 1 sink for everything and doesn't put sanitiser through the dishwasher and falsifies the food records.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've got a four star rating, I lost points because an extractor fan didn't work in the Ladies loo, the gents extractor had dust in it, two cracked tiles in the wash up area, and takeaway containers underneath the counter weren't seperately wrapped.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got a four star rating, I lost points because an extractor fan didn't work in the Ladies loo, the gents extractor had dust in it, two cracked tiles in the wash up area, and takeaway containers underneath the counter weren't seperately wrapped.

Do you get a chance to put things right or is that it until they turn up next year?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Do you get a chance to put things right or is that it until they turn up next year?

I think you can appeal it, it takes about three months. As i said in another post, they only visit every 18 months, to 2 years, and with the cuts thats going to increase

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you can appeal it, it takes about three months. As i said in another post, they only visit every 18 months, to 2 years, and with the cuts thats going to increase

This strikes me as a bit unfair if you have to appeal. What if the tap thermostats and tiles were known to the restaurant owner and awaiting repair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here