Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PAFC-v-CUFC.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Good feature on the radio (ok Talksport I'll admit it) yesterday about the incredible distances being travelled in the COCup 2nd round. Stuart Pearce came up with a brilliantly bonkers idea of re-negotiating the draw if the clubs agree - so instead of Sunderland v Exeter and Hartlepool v Bournemouth - it would be Hartlepool v Sunderland and Exeter v Bournemouth. Everyone's a winner !!

I do think however that the Football League computer programmers could put in one additional criteria which demands that Plymouth v Carlisle is not scheduled for a Tuesday - the Conference (or National League) do a very good job of ensuring that midweek games are generally localised - see last night for instance

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There was a double header saturday and tuesday game where we were away at carlisle on the saturday and then away at yeovil on the tuesday a few years ago, absolutely ridiculous journey for the fans and for the players.

Sorry to be a pedant but i'm 99% sure it wasn't Yeovil - it was indeed Plymouth? The year we won the league - we took 400-500 to both games - unreal support. And I think Tommy scored a header and Barnes scored vs Plymouth... I think...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Sorry to be a pedant but i'm 99% sure it wasn't Yeovil - it was indeed Plymouth? The year we won the league - we took 400-500 to both games - unreal support. And I think Tommy scored a header and Barnes scored vs Plymouth... I think...

You're right, it was Plymouth, which is even further!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My dad, when doing his teacher training at Brighton College of Education (his college building is now under the North Stand I think) did a Geography course as part of this. One of the things they did was to compare the distances football clubs had to travel. They found that in nearly every case it was the lower division clubs that had to travel the furthest. Was ending Division Three North and South a mistake I wonder?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whilst we see these distances as excessive, in some countries, they would be considered as local derbies. It's just a matter of scale and the fact that we're all crammed into a small area.

A few years back, I remember someone at Truro working out that their total travel distance would be less in Conference North than Conference South!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here