Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom: I put it as a challenge to you to get more songs, get more atmosphere going.

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Here in Sydney the standard of football is rubbish, but the fans of Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers make a cracking atmosphere at the derby in a stadium similar to the Amex. Check out this clip and note there is no segregation too. http://youtu.be/CvFyHUs4M9Y

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Same boring point I know, but the only chance we have of getting a better atmosphere is if the various groups in the North decide to sing together. It's an unusually small home end, so it's crucial that those who attend sing the same songs. Then you'll get other parts of the ground joining in.

Quite often you see posts on here saying stuff like "the atmosphere was good where I was, we were singing all game" but the truth is we can't always hear you because your clique is smaller than you may realise.

Another boring point: the kids, oldies and casual fans that sit in the East, West and South aren't likely to join in some of the more "ambitious" chants, or the anti-Palace or sweary stuff, so if you want the whole ground rocking it does have to come back to the simpler, more predictable chants - Seagulls, Albion, We Are Brighton etc etc. Some fans seem to think that stuff is beneath them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The stewards need to be aware of this request then, in the last 3 years they have seemingly targeted the more "boisterous" supporters and either had them moved to "quieter" areas of the ground or removed completely.

They don't appear to be on the same page.
One man's boisterous banter is another man's foul and abusive behaviour.

As with all these stories of 'targeted' fans when the truth does finally come out it's usually a little edgier than first portrayed.

Edgier enough for the club to take further action, maybe not.
To edgy for an all encompassing family friendly club many would say yes.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The stewards need to be aware of this request then, in the last 3 years they have seemingly targeted the more "boisterous" supporters and either had them moved to "quieter" areas of the ground or removed completely.

They don't appear to be on the same page.

The stewards are actually OK in the large, decent enough people. It's the utter **** who manages them that is the problem. Telling people to sit every 10 minutes not only kills any atmosphere building it also encourages quiet people who want to sit in silence to go the north stand due to the cheaper seat prices; this perpetuates the problem. If it was allowed to be the centre of the atmosphere with standing and shouting/singing and genuine football fans present then it would encourage the library goers to go elsewhere and would encourage an excellent atmosphere.

Go on Tony, you know it makes sense. Out the fat safety officer and get in someone trustworthy and decent.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Same boring point I know, but the only chance we have of getting a better atmosphere is if the various groups in the North decide to sing together. It's an unusually small home end, so it's crucial that those who attend sing the same songs. Then you'll get other parts of the ground joining in.

Quite often you see posts on here saying stuff like "the atmosphere was good where I was, we were singing all game" but the truth is we can't always hear you because your clique is smaller than you may realise.

Another boring point: the kids, oldies and casual fans that sit in the East, West and South aren't likely to join in some of the more "ambitious" chants, or the anti-Palace or sweary stuff, so if you want the whole ground rocking it does have to come back to the simpler, more predictable chants - Seagulls, Albion, We Are Brighton etc etc. Some fans seem to think that stuff is beneath them.

The north stand splitting into 2 groups has ruined the atmosphere in there, I'm not sure why it happened but it's like school playground stuff where they both think their gang is better than the other gang.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He is right, we do need to make more noise.

Though the acoustics of the stadium are partly to blame, making it almost impossible for the whole of the North Stand to sing as one. The whole four rows at the back thing was also a massive own-goal by the club. This led to a long line of singers rather than a concentrated group at the centre of the stand. As a result of this we have seen two sets of supporters set up in the SW and NW corners to try and lead/create the atmosphere. My mates and I are in the NW under the police box, in hindsight moving here was a mistake, as our singing section is rather blocked off from the rest of the North and the West Upper by the low roof. I think it is time for the club to make some difficult decisions regarding this. They need to clear a block in the North Stand of all season ticket holders, then make people reapply to sit here on the understanding that the whole block is standing/singing. This will obviously upset some people but I feel it is the only way.

Our second major problem is the vitriol that appears on here whenever anyone starts a chant that people do not like. This does not really effect the SW, NW and North Centre singing sections but I can imagine that if you are sat in the West Upper the negativity on here will make you think twice before joining in or starting a new chant. This has improved slightly this season though. So lets try and keep that up.

Finally, just sing one more verse. If you are some one that joins in semi regularly, all the time or even almost never singing just one more verse, one more shout of Seagulls, one more Albion, the atmosphere will improve. As mentioned above it takes a long time for chants to get spread around the stadium, if we all sing them a bit longer then more will join in.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The north stand splitting into 2 groups has ruined the atmosphere in there, I'm not sure why it happened but it's like school playground stuff where they both think their gang is better than the other gang.

We just cannot hear each other, it is that simple.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A hub like NSC should be a place where fans can get new songs started which then move onto the "terraces". However anybody who dares to try is shot down by some posters straightaway. Gone are the days for making up a song on the train, carrying it on while drinking in the pub and introducing it to other fans on the terraces who will probably join in because they have had a few drinks already.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

Maybe, but in the first couple of seasons the North did sing with one voice most of the time. Also the away end seems able to do it when the fans are up for it.

I guess the acoustic problem would be lessened if more of the song-starters were in a more central position.

(Edit: Just read your earlier post, which makes some very good points.)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

IMO there are too many fans in the NS who are there because its the cheapest place to go and are not interested in making noise. The ripple effect when a song is started doesn't move quick enough across the stand so gets lost. I also think we have to many STH's to create a proper atmosphere, by this I mean groups of singers who at away matches can congregate together but at the Amex they cannot so you tend to get the perceived "cliques" who rather than trying to help each other for the common purpose try to compete against each other.

How can this be changed, I don't know, you cannot make the NS sit where you like and safe standing is a pipe dream, those under the police box cannot move to anywhere else because there isn't anywhere and fans behind the goal are not going to move as there seats are much better than those in the corners.

Edit: as you say in your other post a re-jig of the NS is needed but it won't be easy

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That's a fine and dandy sentiment but it does rather go against the ethos of Albion fans.

Contrary to popular rose tinted belief The Goldstone was like an all faith church that occasionally let the 'happy clappers' in, sound familiar, while the Withdean was a library.

Of the last 40 years it must work out that 30 of them have been played in comparative silence, 5 in a good atmosphere and 5 years in a red hot atmosphere, as dictated by the opposition fans.

So unless the club propose faking it, a la up the road, then it's stuck with reactive fans (palace, Barnsley, Calde substitution) over proactive ones (sorry no example)

Face it, we're just soft southerners.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I put it to you Tony to take a look at your safety officer, the management of the stewards and his utterly pompous and arrogant treatment of the fans of this and other clubs. Anyone who read Chris Baker's email to the Bognor fans will understand.

The treatment of supporters at the Amex kills the atmosphere. It's really quite simple.
This. When our supporters start singing in the north and get slightly over excited the stewards point out individuals and then the stewards go and stand by the singers, trying to intimidate them. It doesn't happen all the time but have seen it often.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Very much agree.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Two nails... right on the head.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I've been so desperate to stand up and start one from the 1901 Club seats. The North Stand could probably hear me before joining in too - I'm in the front row in line with the North penalty spot.

It is my intention to get the 1901ers going. Almost like the '1901 Judge'. I just hope I don't get any caviar thrown at me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We could start by making sure the DJ (Nick Osbourne I think it is) knows that starting GOSBTS and then dropping the sound and just letting the crowd go for it is a GOOD IDEA and should be repeated.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well certainly last season was quiet; all the games started well singing wise, but when the team were flat, then the atmosphere tended to follow.

I've previously suggested to that nice Mr Barber that he should reconsider his totally intransigent attitude to "safe standing" and have a block designated for safe standing behind the North Stand goal. It would be natural for the singers to congregate there. It's all very well having a pop at the supporters for not singing, but a practical idea that would generate a far better atmosphere is just dismissed out of hand. As our American cousins would say...Go Figure!

Safe standing (to a greater or lesser degree) is prevalent at grounds all over Europe (particularly in Poland & Germany)....and nobody dies!

Then we have the stewarding issue....AGAIN!!

Last Saturday we had a ginger nob of a steward trying to enforce sitting in the back rows of the North Stand. Unless or until there is a serious threat to the safety of supporters, the stewards should just "sit down & shut up" as they are certainly a major stumbling block to getting a good atmosphere going throughout the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here