Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All very exciting these foreign player signings, but ...

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
for the better ???
regards
DR

Some better, some worse. Nothing we can do about it Das, so we might as well move with it.

Yep. But is is much easier to get the English names right, like those Stone and Barclay blokes someone mentioned earlier! I wonder if they're related to Stones and Barkley? [emoji51]

Or Forster or Hughton.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As long as we have a couple of Englishmen on the pitch i'm happy. I love the fact we have an array of nationalities in the squad.

Dunk, Solly, Muzza and Dale, two of which are local lads. That'll do me. Take them away and I may feel differently.

Baldock (remember him?) and Goldson too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So when do we field a starting XI of entirely non English players.

Personally if a Martian could guarantee 30 goals a season I'd get them in the team now.

The only concern would be 1 April 2019 onwards and how that dictates the make up of our squad

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
*tut* yet another broken promise Gordon. :nono:

quote-it-is-time-to-train-british-workers-for-the-british-jobs-that-will-be-available-over-the-coming-few-gordon-brown-213728.jpg

:wink:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The Premier League is a global entity, it requires players from wherever we can get them, globally. You want mostly local players, then we'll stay in League One or lower. Unfortunate, but true. Personally, I'm quite happy that xxx from Columbia or Brazil actually WANTS to come to little ol' BHA.

Yeah for £50 00 per week, bless em'.

Last edited:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I personally preferred the days when we had maybe one or two non-British players in the team as distinct from this season when we'll be lucky have two or three British guys playing. Yes I know British players are overpriced; yes I know we are looking for the best value players available, but I can't help but look back fondly to the days when the football teams in England fielded mostly British players. At least I could pronounce their names back then.

:bigwave: Hi Warren!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In many ways I regret the passing of ' the old days' too. I can feel nostalgia for the Goldstone, turning up at a quarter to three with a ten bob note , getting in and buying a half time cuppa with change to spare.
The atmosphere of down home good humour , yet the same tension for a win.
The players were closer to the fans....but the object is to win, gain promotion - and we have...
Times change, we cannot turn back the clock . English players of quality are out of our price range , simple as that . So let's learn their strange names , anglicise them and raise the Amex roof!

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
It used to be that most 'foreigners' playing in England were Scottish. Gone are the days when Scotland could pick from a club like Leeds for whom Harvey, Bremner, McQueen, Lorimer, Jordan and Gray brothers were regulars in the 70s. Now they're ranked lower than San Marino, aren't they?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
It's a bollocks system that is doing more to harm English youth than improve it, imo.

This summer's age category competitions might argue against this statement although the proof will be when this talent breaks through to become regular starters in their respective club's first teams. I can't help thinking that the problem is more that it is a bit of a cushy number for a young English player to be farmed out as a relatively paid loanee rather than take the chance in another European, or even South American, league.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It used to be that most 'foreigners' playing in England were Scottish. Gone are the days when Scotland could pick from a club like Leeds for whom Harvey, Bremner, McQueen, Lorimer, Jordan and Gray brothers were regulars in the 70s. Now they're ranked lower than San Marino, aren't they?

and Irish, but in most cases those recruited from Scotland/Ireland were recruited by Scottish/Irish coaches and managers in a position of power that then influenced recruitment decisions.

Scotland and Ireland were never hotbed of talent, just a hotbed of opportunity.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Scotland and Ireland were never hotbed of talent, just a hotbed of opportunity.
Scotland most definitely was a hotbed of talent - Souness, Dalglish, Hansen (and many more) were excellent players, many of whom won major European honours. As a nation, they went toe-to-toe with the English for decades. Only the last 2 or 3 decades have Scotland been crap.

I'd agree with you regarding Ireland, they were always a poor footballing nation (not many Liam Brady type players being produced by them) until Jack Charlton arrived.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I don't think there is a huge premium for British players but there is one for players with PL experience. Rightly so as it is far less of a gamble to go for a player with PL experience, even if that experience resulted in relegation, than a South American, African or European player who could be the bees knees. It does mean that once a team is relegated, so long as the player hasn't had an absolute stinker or a bad injury, the player can be sold with no loss or even a profit.

It's the same reason why younger players aren't given game time, it's too much of a gamble when even dropping a few places, and not being relegated, can cost a club millions.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Scotland most definitely was a hotbed of talent - Souness, Dalglish, Hansen (and many more) were excellent players, many of whom won major European honours. As a nation, they went toe-to-toe with the English for decades. Only the last 2 or 3 decades have Scotland been crap.

I'd agree with you regarding Ireland, they were always a poor footballing nation (not many Liam Brady type players being produced by them) until Jack Charlton arrived.

Those players became 'great' and successful players due to the recruitment from Scotland at that time, 70's, 80's no doubt before that nearly every English football club was rammed with Scots, players, managers, coaches, kit men you name it they were doing it, the greats like Souness, Hanson, Dalgish, Gemmill, Robertson, Law were in many ways just a consequence of the recruitment regime at the time, for every Souness you had a 100 journeyman Scots populating the English lower leagues.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Those players became 'great' and successful players due to the recruitment from Scotland at that time, 70's, 80's no doubt before that nearly every English football club was rammed with Scots, players, managers, coaches, kit men you name it they were doing it, the greats like Souness, Hanson, Dalgish, Gemmill, Robertson, Law were in many ways just a consequence of the recruitment regime at the time, for every Souness you had a 100 journeyman Scots populating the lower leagues.

If what you say is true, how come Celtic became the first British club to win a European trophy from an entire team born within 50 miles of Glasgow?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't think there is a huge premium for British players but there is one for players with PL experience. Rightly so as it is far less of a gamble to go for a player with PL experience, even if that experience resulted in relegation, than a South American, African or European player who could be the bees knees. It does mean that once a team is relegated, so long as the player hasn't had an absolute stinker or a bad injury, the player can be sold with no loss or even a profit.

It's the same reason why younger players aren't given game time, it's too much of a gamble when even dropping a few places, and not being relegated, can cost a club millions.

But I think we have gone beyond the 'could he do it on a rainy night in Bradford' scenario, perhaps even current British players seen as a greater risk than their European counterparts, in terms of lifestyle and commitment, its all prejudice of course but it doesnt seem to validate the claim that the market demands greater costs for British players.

As so far as residual costs then thats down to the original transfer fee rather than nationality and as for the last point most definitely, the English leagues recruit ready made foreign talent that inevitably squirts out developing English talent.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So we see hundreds of foreign players playing football in England, but where are the British players making names for themselves overseas? Gareth Bale and ???????? .... and you can't count those in the twilight of their careers who go off to play in the North America or China.
A real one-way street. Lots of foreign players good enough to play in the UK, but almost no British players up to playing in Europe or elsewhere in the world.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If what you say is true, how come Celtic became the first British club to win a European trophy from an entire team born within 50 miles of Glasgow?

I am not aware of anything unique about those players Glasgow upbringing that would suggest anything in-particular, it is such an unusual occurrence its difficult to say without more examination, but that might have been the catalyst of how the Scottish soon became so readily recruited throughout the English football leagues which in turn created a favourable Scottish football recruiting environment down south.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So we see hundreds of foreign players playing football in England, but where are the British players making names for themselves overseas? Gareth Bale and ???????? .... and you can't count those in the twilight of their careers who go off to play in the North America or China.
A real one-way street. Lots of foreign players good enough to play in the UK, but almost no British players up to playing in Europe or elsewhere in the world.

Well to be fair, there aren't many foreign players playing here that might otherwise be better paid playing where they come from.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here