Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley may bid for city status

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Not one of the country's more obvious candidates, one would think :lol:

The local MP thinks it's worth a go though :ohmy:

http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/politics/could-crawley-become-a-city-1-7783340

(Meanwhile, speaking of uninspiring concrete housing estates, Milton Keynes celebrates the 50th anniversary of its founding today, and is trending on Twitter as a result (#MK50). To commemorate the occasion, they're going to find a much-loved old statue from another town and steal it)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
“In many countries a town like Crawley would already be considered a city"

North Korea?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Crawley town centre is a shit hole, wholeheartedly agree, however some of the outlying (ex) villages are as nice as anywhere else. And as the biggest town in West Sussex I see no reason why they shouldn't apply for it, given its proximity to an international airport amongst other things.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
City status?

Seems to be undermining the word city in my opinion.

Looks like anywhere can become a city if Crawley is granted it. Shoreham? Portslade? Alfriston?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Crawley town centre is a shit hole, wholeheartedly agree, however some of the outlying (ex) villages are as nice as anywhere else. And as the biggest town in West Sussex I see no reason why they shouldn't apply for it, given its proximity to an international airport amongst other things.

I may be being a little unfair. It's an ugly, grey, characterless place, but that said, its local council are quite progressive thinking, and it has very low unemployment and a fairly young population compared to much of Sussex, so is likely to expand further.

But I just can't see it as a city, try as I might :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I may be being a little unfair. It's an ugly, grey, characterless place, but that said, its local council are quite progressive thinking, and it has very low unemployment and a fairly young population compared to much of Sussex, so is likely to expand further.

But I just can't see it as a city, try as I might :)

As I have already explained I agree the town centre is a shabby grey blot on the landscape, but the rest isn't. It also has the best road infrastructure of any of our other towns/cities in Sussex. There have been murmurs of a town centre facelift, but we'll see. Sadly the centre is the 'face' of Crawley. Like an ugly bird/bloke with a great body!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is it still a nuclear-free zone?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm currently in Crawley at the college studying for my HNC. I have a 2.5 hour break until my next lesson. I hate this town. It just sucks the life out of you.

It may well have a young population but from what I can see from the other young students our future generation are all a bunch of divs. there may be one or two good'uns scattered about but I spend most of my time wandering around shaking my head at these kids.

I didn't think being 38 was that old but I feel ancient and very intelligent and mature here compared to this lot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
as i have already explained i agree the town centre is a shabby grey blot on the landscape, but the rest isn't. It also has the best road infrastructure of any of our other towns/cities in sussex. There have been murmurs of a town centre facelift, but we'll see. Sadly the centre is the 'face' of crawley. Like an ugly bird/bloke with a great body!

A Bobfoc?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's hardly ancient Rome is it? Crawley is not a city. It's a sort of hideous 1960s Bournville for airport workers.

The reason for the 'boring' face palm is down to your rather mind numbing comments. Who compared it to Rome? There are areas of Brighton that are far worse than Crawley. And guess what? I would suspect there are more people coming from Brighton to work at the airport. If not it wouldn't be far off. In fact it is a Sussex/Surrey employer and not exclusive to Crawley.

[MENTION=20792]spongy[/MENTION] I get where you're coming from, but so far all the comments on this thread have been related to the town centre, which I too dislike and rarely enter. As I said, sadly that monstrosity is the face of Crawley.

As for bobfoc, I have no idea what that means! :laugh:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
No more bizarre than a potential bid for European Capital of Culture in 2023, by ... Truro.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here