Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poyet on Poogate

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He wants a new job in England then he brings all this up again ! interesting tactic !

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Poyet's problem was not the pooh but his stupid decision to not meet Glenn Murray's modest wage demand a couple of years before. Losing Murray also cost The Palarce Manager his job later as they have never been so good without him.

This.

And later tried to blame Murray's departure on financial constraints in Summer 2011 imposed by TB.

All about politicking. Poyet will never be a successful manager in England.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Our worst ever loss? Really? Did you go to Sudbury? Kingstonians? Any game at gillingham? The last few seasons at the goldstone? Losing 4-1 at bath when playing against Bristol rovers in 1992? I have attended some horrendous losses compared to a play off loss...palace away 5-0 !!!

All of that- but this match stands out. Easter, I believe. I was in the main stand.

My main memory was a Rovers player looking for a pass and yelling at the others "Come on, this is easy". I'll never forget that.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Exciting memories of his first two seasons and some very decent signings and great matches. Thought he could be quite funny too. But if he's not good enough for Tony then that's just fine and all that matters.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Highlighted by the fact he left a fully fit Vicente out of the match day squad. He really could've been the key in the second leg after missing the first with a slight niggle.

That is bollocks, I'm afraid - and we know that from Vicente himself. On Saturday 13 May the Argus carried an interview with Vicente in which he blasted Poyet. In that interview, he stated that although he was fit [and on the bench] for the 1st leg, he wasn't fit for the 2nd leg. I took a screenshot of the relevant passage of the article at the time, and at some point I posted it on here, although I can't find it now. However, there is a reference to it here

He does lay one myth to rest though which a lot of people have missed. He was injured for Monday and that's why Dicker was on the bench, contrary to what the Argus reported previously.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
All of that- but this match stands out. Easter, I believe. I was in the main stand.

My main memory was a Rovers player looking for a pass and yelling at the others "Come on, this is easy". I'll never forget that.

I went to that game, I was still at school, which must make it approximately 25 years ago, and the last time I thought about it was, well, approximately 25 years ago.

There was a chronic problem at the time, the full scale of which would emerge later, this was another routine away day spanking.

Is that really worse then losing to your arch rivals in a championship semi final ? To get to Wembley, and the Premier league? Really?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There’s no doubt Vicente was the most talented player I’ve seen play for us. But he was more trouble than he was worth - not helped at all by the way Poyet handled him.

This may be my memory playing tricks but I seem to recall our record when he started for us wasn’t that great? It was like the rest of the team always felt they had an obligation to give the ball to him.

I also remember the good old Withdean days under Gus fondly. It really has taken a lot of effort on his part to be so unpopular with so many given what he achieved at the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I went to that game, I was still at school, which must make it approximately 25 years ago, and the last time I thought about it was, well, approximately 25 years ago.

There was a chronic problem at the time, the full scale of which would emerge later, this was another routine away day spanking.

Is that really worse then losing to your arch rivals in a championship semi final ? To get to Wembley, and the Premier league? Really?

Yes...although the Sudbury game was my worst low, this was truly dreadful and summed us up at the time.

The palace game was disappointing at the time, but I wasn't expecting much having gone to the first game where we were dreadful afte the first 20 minutes...so it didn't really surprise me. However it didn't make me think about walking away, where the Sudbury game did.

Anyway it is all about opinions and that is mine.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That is bollocks, I'm afraid - and we know that from Vicente himself. On Saturday 13 May the Argus carried an interview with Vicente in which he blasted Poyet. In that interview, he stated that although he was fit [and on the bench] for the 1st leg, he wasn't fit for the 2nd leg. I took a screenshot of the relevant passage of the article at the time, and at some point I posted it on here, although I can't find it now. However, there is a reference to it here

Now, we can't have facts posted on Nsc, as it ruins people's bias.

In my opinion, Burke caused a lot of the trouble, bringing in players Gus didn't want and refusing others he did want. That's one of the reasons he wanted out.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
And just about splutter over the finishing line. Southampton got off the mark slowly, finally picked up pace in the Autumn and finished like an express train. They beat us at Withdean at the the tail end of that season and went on to become double championes the following season. That win 'at an absolute canter' was as much to do with Southampton being slowly out of the traps as anything else. We were good, but we were patently the second best team in that division in that season.

We about just as much spluttered over the line as Usain Bolt easing up in the final 10m and still breaking the world record. We won promotion with six games to spare and the title with four games to spare. To put this into context the two Withdean back-to-back titles were won with two and one games to spare respectively. We went unbeaten at home all season until after the title was won. We won eight games and 24pts in March to equal a league record. We recorded back-to-back away wins against Charlton (4-0) and Peterborough (3-0) that rank as some of the most complete away performances I have seen, the latter of which led Peterborough fans on their very good fans-radio show waxing lyrical for about 30 minutes about the best football they had ever seen played by a League One team. Patently second best.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
We about just as much spluttered over the line as Usain Bolt easing up in the final 10m and still breaking the world record. We won promotion with six games to spare and the title with four games to spare. To put this into context the two Withdean back-to-back titles were won with two and one games to spare respectively. We went unbeaten at home all season until after the title was won. We won eight games and 24pts in March to equal a league record. We recorded back-to-back away wins against Charlton (4-0) and Peterborough (3-0) that rank as some of the most complete away performances I have seen, the latter of which led Peterborough fans on their very good fans-radio show waxing lyrical for about 30 minutes about the best football they had ever seen played by a League One team. Patently second best.

Poyet revisionism by some twats on here is absolutely remarkable.

This post is absolutely spot on. That eight game streak in March was absolutely sensational and some of my favourite moments watching the Albion.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Spot on. I can't stand Poyet these days - His legacy tarnished with the hissy fit post Palace which was by no means our worst defeat but certainly the one that felt the worst given it was to our rivals, at our home and what was at stake. All he needed to do was say how disappointed he was and we would go again next year but he had to make it about himself. I wanted to kill him when I saw the interview that night. All the wanting a bigger job stuff I could put up with until that point. It's a shame really, as he no doubt turned us from a team of League 1 hoofball merchants into the passing outfit we see today.

As you point out though, the football at Charlton and Peterborough was sublime and we won the league at a canter. We were as the song goes, fking brilliant. Look at some of the players Southampton had at their disposal that year :

Morgan Schneiderlin
Adam Lallana
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
José Fonte
Ricky Lambert
Dean Hammond
And a Certain
Dale Stephens

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Now, we can't have facts posted on Nsc, as it ruins people's bias.

In my opinion, Burke caused a lot of the trouble, bringing in players Gus didn't want and refusing others he did want. That's one of the reasons he wanted out.

I think you are correct in your assumptions, I think the wheels started to fall off when Gus tried earnestly and failed in his attempt to sign Virgil Van Dyke, the player and his club were tempted to sale and a deal involving a "rest of season loan back" could have swung it but it was not to be, that for me was the beginning of the end.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Poyet revisionism by some twats on here is absolutely remarkable.

This post is absolutely spot on. That eight game streak in March was absolutely sensational and some of my favourite moments watching the Albion.

Absolutely. The first games I saw of Micky Adams'/Poyet's/Hughton's tenures, were light years ahead of what had come before. Poyet's first was away at Southampton I do believe; it was blistering football, and a sign of things to come. He gestured to the players during the game - "Breathe, breathe". Lovely lovely memories.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Look at some of the players Southampton had at their disposal that year :

Morgan Schneiderlin
Adam Lallana
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
José Fonte
Ricky Lambert
Dean Hammond
And a Certain
Dale Stephens

How can you list all those names yet omit the great Dan Harding?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Poyet was good for us. Without him we would still be hoofing the ball straight to players dressed in different colour shirts. Up until he started we were mostly woeful to watch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Which probably explains how they finished 2nd.

Hmmm....after the Gillingham years and the return to Brighton, Harding was the FIRST Brighton player since we left the Goldstone who could actually pass the ball sensibly in a forward direction to a fellow team mate on a regular basis.

That's why he was taken off our hands.

His embarrassing first half removal at the Amex for the Stains was not a true reflection on someone who was very decent for us.

Don't trash the poor bugger!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hmmm....after the Gillingham years and the return to Brighton, Harding was the FIRST Brighton player since we left the Goldstone who could actually pass the ball sensibly in a forward direction to a fellow team mate on a regular basis.

That's why he was taken off our hands.

His embarrassing first half removal at the Amex for the Stains was not a true reflection on someone who was very decent for us.

Don't trash the poor bugger!

He was ok for us, but he suffered whenever he played against both at Leeds and Southampton. Carole ran rings round him at Elland Road.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here