Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion's best ever header of a ball

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There was a young Welsh lad played late 50's/early 60's who could head a ball a fair distance. Got killed in a car crash in the Elan Valley. Can't for the life of me remember his name..

Barrie Rees

And it was Johnny Goodchild, not Goodhold

Both were before time but Rees was meant to be something special

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
How good was Mike Small in the air? I seem to remember him as being pretty good but I was about 10.

I loved Mike small especially as he lived in the next road to me & we always saw him with his kids in wish park obviously only so he could see me play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barrie Rees

And it was Johnny Goodchild, not Goodhold

Both were before time but Rees was meant to be something special

Barry Rees. That's the lad!
Don't think he was with us for more than a handful of games. Signed from Everton and looked different class on the floor and in the air. One of those you thought could be very special.
Hit a bridge in his car driving back from visiting his family if I recall right. A real loss.
Goodchild (this silly machine keeps auto correcting it) was one of my early heroes. Not big by any means but great timing breaking into the box. Left to go back up north just as my all time Albion favourite - Kit Napier - arrived. Would've loved to see them play together.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Alex Dawson and Bobby Smith

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ulloa the best attacking headerer of a ball I've seen.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Not sure if he's been mentioned previously but to put a different spin on things Martin Chivers had a spell with us.

And although he was in the twilight of his career probably the best header of a ball to wear the blue and white stripes. Certainly the longest throw and 24 england caps/13 goals.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Lawrenson was better than Fozzy although I think D&D are very similar at how good they are in the air as a pair and defending as a pair is the most important as much as being the singular best in the air. The old guy in me would like to say Lawrenson but I will go for Duffy for now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lawrenson was better than Fozzy although I think D&D are very similar at how good they are in the air as a pair and defending as a pair is the most important as much as being the singular best in the air. The old guy in me would like to say Lawrenson but I will go for Duffy for now.

Better player, definitely, but in the air Fozzie every time. Lawrenson’s immense ability was based largely on his ability on the ground.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Doug Rougvie
Not sure if he was one of the best but one thing for sure is that if i was a striker wouldn't fancy my chances in a one to one aerial duel with this hardman

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Better player, definitely, but in the air Fozzie every time. Lawrenson’s immense ability was based largely on his ability on the ground.

You’re probably right on aireals just, but Lawro was great at that too. Part of an incredible LFC defence. For both Albion and LFC he more than survived in an era of hard centre forwards (too long a list to mention).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I note (thankfully ) that Mr Dawson is still going strong. How much would I like to see Mr combover Richie Reynolds interview him at halftime.

I have no influence whatsoever so [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] must make it happen

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You’re probably right on aireals just, but Lawro was great at that too. Part of an incredible LFC defence. For both Albion and LFC he more than survived in an era of hard centre forwards (too long a list to mention).

Kevin Keegan said the day he knew he was finished was when he had a 5 yard start on Lawro, and he caught him before he could shoot.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Kevin Keegan said the day he knew he was finished was when he had a 5 yard start on Lawro, and he caught him before he could shoot.....

The day Teddy Maybank knew he was finished was when I caught him when he was playing for Corals !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I note (thankfully ) that Mr Dawson is still going strong. How much would I like to see Mr combover Richie Reynolds interview him at halftime.

I have no influence whatsoever so [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] must make it happen

Good call. He'd be a great guest for when we play Man Utd

If not at the Amex, for the Albion Roar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here