Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Slaven Bilic sacked by West Ham [Moyes in]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't understand the world of football managers. It seems that no matter how CRAP you've been in your past few jobs (even if you've been good in ONE job in the past), you'll almost always get another gig! Billic out and his replacement that yes, did well at Everton, but then failed at THREE subsequent jobs.

I could be proved wrong and he could spectacularly turn things around, but SURELY there have got to be better candidates than him?

If you said to someone, who was the worse PL manager in 2016/17, who would it be? David Moyes, there is only one answer. Sunderland had no fight, apart from a good win at Smelhurst

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Man Utd gave Moyes a contract until 2019.

In that time he's managed Man Utd, Real Sociedad, Sunderland and West Ham. The latter have only given him a 6-month contract, so he still has a year to fill.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Best news you could wish for as an Albion fan (next to Palace going down).
Now only one remaining relegation spot to fight for and Swansea look good for that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dunno be's quite likely to bump into him in Sussex from time to time, Gold lives (at least some of the time) in Hurstpierpoint. Occasionally see his Roller out and about in Mid Sussex. .

And to think, there were some Brighton fans who wanted him to buy out Dick Knight.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Man Utd gave Moyes a contract until 2019.

In that time he's managed Man Utd, Real Sociedad, Sunderland and West Ham. The latter have only given him a 6-month contract, so he still has a year to fill.

Saw that on Twatter earlier. Amazing stat!

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
Best news you could wish for as an Albion fan (next to Palace going down).
Now only one remaining relegation spot to fight for and Swansea look good for that.

Totally this.

If it was a progressive young talented manager with a 3 year contract to move the club forward, the players would spring to attention.

Imagine being a player and loser Moyes comes in on a 6 month contract with his old ways of shouting and just hard work determination.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I genuinely don't think Moyes has had a job since Everton where he can be fairly judged (I'm genuinely being serious)

I really don't think he was given enough of a chance at Man Utd. He joined at the time when a new chief exec also joined and, by all accounts, really halted progress in the transfer market. He made 2 signings, Fellaini (summer) and Mata(Jan), both now used heavily by Mourinho. It was widely known the squad needed an overhaul and he wasn't backed. To put it in context, the next season Louis Van Gaal -led United made these signings:
Herrara (£20m+)
Shaw (£20m+)
Rojo (£16m+)
Di Maria (£60m)
Blind (£14m)
Falcao (VERY expensive Loan)

That is backing your manager.

Sociedad I don't know enough about to comment.

Sunderland was just walking into a nightmare. I'm not going to claim he did well, because clearly he didn't, but that awful club has even made Simon Grayson look poor in the Championship (and, in my opinion, he is not).

I wouldn't write Moyes off at all. Is the appointment inspiring? no. Will he organise them? I Imagine so.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I genuinely don't think Moyes has had a job since Everton where he can be fairly judged (I'm genuinely being serious)

I really don't think he wasn't given enough of a chance at Man Utd. He joined at the time when a new chief exec also joined and, by all accounts, really halted progress in the transfer market. He made 2 signings, Fellaini (summer) and Mata(Jan), both now used heavily by Mourinho. It was widely known the squad needed an overhaul and he wasn't backed. To put it in context, the next season Louis Van Gaal -led United made these signings:
Herrara (£20m+)
Shaw (£20m+)
Rojo (£16m+)
Di Maria (£60m)
Blind (£14m)

Sunderland was just walking into a nightmare. I'm not going to claim he did well, because clearly he didn't, but that awful club has even made Simon Grayson look poor in the Championship (and, in my opinion, he is not).

I wouldn't write Moyes off at all. Is the appointment inspiring? no. Will he organise them? I Imagine so.
This is an excellent post. Moyes is certainly not a bold appointment, but his two English jobs since Everton haven't really proved much, beyond the fact that he's not a miracle worker.

I'm really not sure it means West Ham are nailed-on relegation certs. That said, it is a really bland, uninspiring appointment, which as [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] suggests, is baffling insofar as there *must* have been better appointments they could have made instead of a this gravy-train nonsense.

I'd have looked at Neil Lennon, personally - divisive down here for sure but ultimately seems to do well wherever he goes. Either that or Dean Smith at Brentford or maybe Wilder at Sheff Utd (unlikely to have got him though).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I really don't think he was given enough of a chance at Man Utd. He joined at the time when a new chief exec also joined and, by all accounts, really halted progress in the transfer market. He made 2 signings, Fellaini (summer) and Mata(Jan), both now used heavily by Mourinho. It was widely known the squad needed an overhaul and he wasn't backed. To put it in context, the next season Louis Van Gaal -led United made these signings:
Herrara (£20m+)
Shaw (£20m+)
Rojo (£16m+)
Di Maria (£60m)
Blind (£14m)

He had a 28.5% win percentage at Sociedad – but I DO take your point. I actually think that he should've been given more time (and money) at Manchester United – you never know, he might have turned things around instead of them going through the LVG debacle. He did, at the end of the day, have an OK run there – it just wasn't up to the standards that the club or fans expected.

The Sunderland thing is a bit different. I thought he'd taken over there mid-season, but it turns out he was there for the duration. Regardless of the state of the club, you'd expect someone like him who, let's face it, had Everton punching above their weight, to do better. Judging on what little I've seen of West Ham this season, they seems to be in a bit of state, similar to that of Sunderland maybe? He may well get them organised, but will they be willing to play as a team – or will he get the backing to change things in January?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Herrara (£20m+)
Shaw (£20m+)
Rojo (£16m+)
Di Maria (£60m)
Blind (£14m)

I was going to post something very similar, saved me the effort.
It's worth noting that, until Sunderland, Moyes's record of win percentages was identical to Hughton's current record (43.7%). That's not a record to be sniffed at.

I don't think any manager can be judged on his record at Sunderland. As I said when Grayson was sacked, there's a poisonous atmosphere there, a player culture that's out of control. PDC said that the board had to back the manager or back the players and they consistently choose the players. Until the board grow balls and back a manager who can wield a big stick, Sunderland will continue to be a basket case.

Moyes is not inspiring but he's not incompetent either.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Everton have a lot of English youth I think (?) and could be time for some of them to step up. You'd think while they wouldn't finish 7th, they'd do a lot better than currently and could grow/bond as a team. Needs to be given this season and a summer though as long as they survive.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Moyes at United was harshly treated, but he was never charismatic enough for that club. Though they have made three consecutive appointments that were not right for Manchester United, imo.

Sociedad, the biggest criticism of Moyes for me is that he even took the job. He did not seem willing to learn the language, learn the Spanish way of life or even integrate in to their football. Doomed to failure, it is worth pointing out that his successor has a 46% win record a full 18% than Moyes achieved.

As for Sunderland, the job most analogous to this job at West Ham, he was a complete disaster from day one. We all knew it would be a tough job and they would struggle, but to speak the way Moyes did from the very beginning was criminal. He showed absolutely no belief in his players or the club at any point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sociedad, the biggest criticism of Moyes for me is that he even took the job. He did not seem willing to learn the language, learn the Spanish way of life or even integrate in to their football. Doomed to failure, it is worth pointing out that his successor has a 46% win record a full 18% than Moyes achieved.
Plus the fact he was unable to go outside while the sun was shining.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fergie knew exactrly when to leave united as in deed Busby did before him as both left when their team was on the decline and left new managers to pick up the pieces.
As I have said I think that Moyes will pull them clear and be handed the job full time in May..

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Fergie knew exactrly when to leave united as in deed Busby did before him as both left when their team was on the decline and left new managers to pick up the pieces.
As I have said I think that Moyes will pull them clear and be handed the job full time in May..

Disagree with that. Fergie was an exceptional manager and a winner. Whoever took over from him was onto a hiding to nothing. There was always going to be that transitional period.

Fergie left because of age and health i guess.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disagree with that. Fergie was an exceptional manager and a winner. Whoever took over from him was onto a hiding to nothing. There was always going to be that transitional period.

Fergie left because of age and health i guess.

Nobody is disputing Fergies ability but similarly you cannot dispute the fact that the team were on the way down when he leftand he knew that.. So as you say whoever followed had a difficult task in front of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As others have said, he was on a hiding to nothing at Man U trying to fill Fergies shoes so I wouldn’t hold that against him.

But Moyes did nothing at Sunderland to halt the malaise at that club, in fact he added to it. Spent £40m-odd on basically bringing half his Everton squad in (Anichebe, Lescott, Gibson, Pienaar, Oviedo) plus a few he had at Utd (Januzaj, McNair, Love). Announced in August (AUGUST), that yes, they’d be involved in another relegation dogfight. Six wins all season, they finished bottom on a minus 40 goal difference, so he was spot on to be fair. What a dour character though, absolutely the LAST man you’d want in a relegation battle.

If I was a West Ham fan, I’d be in despair. As it is, I’m absolutely delighted. I have a feeling Palace will weasel their way out of trouble as usual, but West Ham and Swansea look like prime candidates now for the drop. Just 1 more spot to avoid.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Announced in August (AUGUST), that yes, they’d be involved in another relegation dogfight. Six wins all season, they finished bottom on a minus 40 goal difference, so he was spot on to be fair. What a dour character though, absolutely the LAST man you’d want in a relegation battle.

To be fair, Sunderland had been in a relegation dogfight the previous five seasons - and most of those escaping at the very last minute. I think everyone and his dog had worked out that it would a struggle.

I'd exempt him MU and Sunderland - Real Sociedad is the real stain on his CV

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here