Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of Being a Kid - #Nostalgia Alert

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Soccer Stars? Still have this one, Dad used to take me swimming on Saturday morning, and I'd open the packets on the way home.

View attachment 86808 View attachment 86809

That's it! takes me back straight away. Thing of beauty.
Playing football for hours behind the flats in Horton Rd, recreating the FA cup final just after it had been played, watching match of the day, and the Big match when the pitches were just mud, and the fog coming down at half time, especially at Anfield.
My dad taking me to the Goldstone and at first being on his shoulders and watching the crowd trouble more than the game. He later got me a stool to stand on and a rattle.
One of my first favourite players was Ken Beamish, oh how I liked the white piping around his shorts! Not sure what the first game I went to was but a vivid memory is the players coming out and kicking footballs into the crowd. God I wanted one!
Also

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Going swimming at North Road Baths and coming out and getting 1penny scraps from the fish and chip shop right opposite - around 1970.
Feck me I was 61 yesterday but can remember it like yesterday :moo:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Collecting bubble gum cards, Mars attacks, American civil war, gory to say the least.
Airfix models, 20 a side football on the grass car park at the race course with jumpers for goalposts, winkling down black rock, 2 bob a week pocket money.
Ahhhh nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Another for planes hanging from the ceiling, those very small soldiers about 100 to the box painting them, sweets > rice paper flying saucers and jamboree bags from Steyning's Commercial square..............

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We had various 'nearest the wall' fads.

Everything from plastic airline discs (Pan-Am was the rarest), toy soldiers, fizzy drink ring-pulls and the odd straight cash.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Collecting bubble gum cards, Mars attacks, American civil war, gory to say the least.
Airfix models, 20 a side football on the grass car park at the race course with jumpers for goalposts, winkling down black rock, 2 bob a week pocket money.
Ahhhh nostalgia is not what it used to be.

American Civil War Cards have you Googled that site?
Remember it being gory at the time but times have changed with video of unimaginable violence now :moo:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Packs of Star Wars cards with a stick of bubble gum inside.

Making things out of cardboard boxes/loo rolls - like vehicles for my Action Jacks.

Action Jacks.

Watching Will Hay films at about 6pm on a weekday.

6 weeks off at Summer - it was going to last FOREVER! Never did.

My Grifter.

Indoor fireworks.

Spectrum 48k and Commodore 64. Basic football management games.

Cool American teen films like Ferris Beuller, Teen Wolf, Back To The Future - i really wanted to live in the US and be a cool teen.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The Eagle Comic.
Out all day with mates usually somewhere on the downs above Hangleton usually ending up rolling down Devils Dyke.
Saturday Morning at the Odeon, Hove.
Morning Paper Rounds getting to shop (Prestons,Hangleton Road) at 6 to make up round.
Rag and Bone man as per Steptoe, complete with horse shouting Rag Bones and on Sundays the Winkle man came round. Always had winkles for Sunday Tea.
Lemonade and Smiths Crisps, complete with blue bag of salt outside Pub as parents had a drinks inside.
Nippers, LifeBoys, Boys Brigade, great times.
It all seems like only yesterday but over 60 years ago.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Winding up the Parkie in any of the parks.
Nicking the empty soda syphons round the back of the cafe at Hove station and taking them back for the deposit.
Playing in local Willets builders yard at the weekend.
Getting in the exit doors of cinemas for a free show.
Fruit salad or blackjacks at 1/4d (yes, a farthing each).
Beatles bubblegum cards (oh to still have some of these).
Sticking your finger into a 1/4lb bag of yellow sherbert to get nicotine stained fingers.
Ice lollies with a mark on the stick to bet a freebie.
Jamboree bags.
Having your ear tweaked by a copper when you've been up to no good.
Marble alleys.
Flicking collector cards.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not reaching the bog on time and shaking a conker out from ones oxford bags with ease , god bless the 70s and baggy Y fronts .

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The Eagle Comic.
Out all day with mates usually somewhere on the downs above Hangleton usually ending up rolling down Devils Dyke.
Saturday Morning at the Odeon, Hove.
Morning Paper Rounds getting to shop (Prestons,Hangleton Road) at 6 to make up round.
Rag and Bone man as per Steptoe, complete with horse shouting Rag Bones and on Sundays the Winkle man came round. Always had winkles for Sunday Tea.
Lemonade and Smiths Crisps, complete with blue bag of salt outside Pub as parents had a drinks inside.
Nippers, LifeBoys, Boys Brigade, great times.
It all seems like only yesterday but over 60 years ago.

Minors of the ABC was the song we sang.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Every celebratory event taking place in a scout hut or village hall.
The egg man in his van.
Being afraid of the school caretaker.
Actually taking notice of an adult you don't know telling you off if you're being a nuisance.
No-brand sports kit and not caring because it was the sport you were into not the flash kit.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Going swimming at North Road Baths and coming out and getting 1penny scraps from the fish and chip shop right opposite - around 1970.
Feck me I was 61 yesterday but can remember it like yesterday :moo:

Also King Alfred when it had salt water.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My Paper round. It was fecking miles. Started at Jennies Corner in the dip. Up the hill, round the flats in Stephens road, then Mountfields before going to Tavistock Down onto the very last house by Moulsecoomb station on Uplands Road. I had to run round else I wouldn't do it in time for school. All that for a quid and a quick gander at Page 3.

May bugs and thier annual slaughter with our tennis rackets.

Games of Save all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here